Huisun 10x v1 mini PTZ completely dead

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My three Huisun v1 cameras have been working flawless for months until yesterday. The one on my deck quit working. I was using PoE to power it but tried 12 volt power adapters also with no luck. No sign of life. PTZ motors do nothing when power is supplied to the camera. Anyone else had this problem or know of a solution? I purchased this camera last November (2015).

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, I read that thread. Sounds like the same problem I'm having with v1. When I plug a power supply into it, I can hear a slight click but that's it. PTZ motors don't power up at all.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I read that thread. Sounds like the same problem I'm having with v1. When I plug a power supply into it, I can hear a slight click but that's it. PTZ motors don't power up at all.
Any sign of life from SADP? The two I purchased last year in October and September are still working (including one completely exposed to the elements). However, all is not well with a third one I recently purchased. It was DOA. I have an open dispute with the seller right now. Should know the results shortly. So far the seller is saying all the right things, but I won't provide any details until I know for sure the results of my dispute.

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Lare. Sorry to hear about v1. Mine is still ticking since Oct. Could it have gotten a power surge (lightening, ect)?

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any sign of life from SADP? The two I purchased last year in October and September are still working (including one completely exposed to the elements). However, all is not well with a third one I recently purchased. It was DOA. I have an open dispute with the seller right now. Should know the results shortly. So far the seller is saying all the right things, but I won't provide any details until I know for sure the results of my dispute.
I haven't tried using SADP yet. The camera appears to be completely dead. If the IP changed back to factory default, I would think that the PT motors would still do a pan and tilt a few seconds after power is applied. Luckily I haven't mounted a third camera that I purchased at the same time as the defective one. It's been sitting on my workbench as a spare, so I'll use it to replace the one that went tits up. Good luck with your DOA camera. I hope the seller comes up with a solution that works for you.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey Lare. Sorry to hear about v1. Mine is still ticking since Oct. Could it have gotten a power surge (lightening, ect)?
I don't think it's a power surge. It was powered through a TP-Link PoE switch. I also have a Hik 2432 powered through the same switch and it's fine. I'm wondering if heat might have something to do with the failure? It quit working in the afternoon during the hottest part of the day. Temps have been 90F and 98F the last few days. It was close to 98F when it died with the sun directly on it.

There has been no lightning or storms, just hot sunny days the last week or so. Wish it would rain. It's unusual for it to be so hot in June in my area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Heat will kill electronics. It could be an electrical device just failed. Probably a simple repair if one had the knowledge and parts. :D

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep, it might have been the heat that fried it. I'm kind of leary about installing my spare Huisun in the same location. Would hate to lose a second camera if it is in fact the heat causing it. That camera faced south. My oldest Huisun is mounted on my garage facing east and only gets the morning sun. Haven't had any problems with it and it was purchased last October.

I wonder if these cameras have any kind of fuse in them? I might take it apart and look it over. It can probably be used for spare parts.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think it's a power surge. It was powered through a TP-Link PoE switch. I also have a Hik 2432 powered through the same switch and it's fine. I'm wondering if heat might have something to do with the failure? It quit working in the afternoon during the hottest part of the day. Temps have been 90F and 98F the last few days. It was close to 98F when it died with the sun directly on it.
thats very likely, given all the information you have provided.. seems the failure rates of these cameras are picking up now that summer has hit.. overheating is huge camera killer, I cringe when people paint their cameras.. Dashcam failure rates are a prime example.

Only one camera have I encountered with any adequately designed thermal protection (Big Black Face Dahua has internal temp monitoring and shutdown, it reports +20F internally from outside temps), most will just keep going until they burn up.. pretty much need to build the circuitry with automotive grade components designed for extreme temperature ranges.. and even those are not exposed to direct sunlight, while the ECU in your car will see some high temps.. its housing is not being heated directly to temperatures too hot to touch... where that dash cam or radar detector attached to the windshield will, and those things fail left and right if you go cheap.

if damage caused a fuse to blow, a component has melted and shorted out internally.. replacing the fuse wont fix it unless you find the cause and replace it too, if your lucky.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thats very likely, given all the information you have provided.. seems the failure rates of these cameras are picking up now that summer has hit.. overheating is huge camera killer, I cringe when people paint their cameras.. Dashcam failure rates are a prime example.
I'm thinking it probably was the heat that killed the camera. I've decided to replace my Hik 2432, (which is under the deck cover and never gets direct sunlight) with my spare Huisun. The Huisun that croaked was originally installed about 10' from the Hik but wasn't protected by the deck cover.

It may sound crazy, but my favorite reason for having the Huisun 10x PTZ mounted near the deck was so I could zoom in on the temperature guage on my big charcoal bbq/smoker and keep track of the temperature using BI while smoking or cooking chicken, beef, pork, etc.:) It also supplied plenty of IR to light up the area for the Hik 2432 at night since the Hik has poor IR range.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just finished replacing the Hik with the spare Huisun and won't have to worry about direct sunlight anymore. I'm back to doing surveillance on the BBQ. :peaceful:

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just finished replacing the Hik with the spare Huisun and won't have to worry about direct sunlight anymore. I'm back to doing surveillance on the BBQ. :peaceful:

I see you got the rain you were asking for too! Unless you just took a pee out on the deck or something :D

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello All
My huisun is acting up as well it has been working fine with no problems since I got it, but I noticed that a few days ago it got hot out here in California and after that the camera started to disconnect very often, so I removed the MIC and the connected to the TP-Link PoE switch and the disconnecting stopped, but the zoom is not working properly it looks like it has hiccups, when the zoom button is press it does not zoom right away, than it jumps to zoom 5 and 8 and 10 everything else works fine but the zoom, this camera gets lots of sun light, I have this camera in front of the garage parallel to my Sumba camera, the Sumba is working fine no issues with it.
Regards.
Chewie

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
open a continuous ping on it and see if your getting packet loss, zoom latency or poor response often is a sign of packets being dropped and having to be re-transmitted.

try powering it up with an external 12v source, the PoE boards on these are known to fail.. but it seems heat can kill the entire camera.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
damn you may be as lazy as me hah, love it..
Yep, either lazy or a gadget freak or maybe both. :)

I control almost everything at my place from my PC, phone and tablets, including all lights, gate, lawn sprinkler system, alarm system, bird baths, motion activated sprinklers, fans, heaters, roll up garage doors, temperature monitoring (including frig/freezer) and power to most of the cameras. Love the z-wave stuff.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
motion activated sprinklers, ok your hardcore enough for me..

fucking love mine, happy wife === happy life.. too bad it wont defend her garden against hail.