hundreds of motion detection on hicvision DVR

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not sure why this is happening but I set up my DVR for motion detection (after office hours) and am seeing hundreds of alarms throughout the night and weekends. When I go to the log and select "Alarm" under Major Type and "Start Motion Detection" under Minor type I can see that the motion detection was activated a hundred times over the weekend (always on the same camera). When I go to "Playback" and try to figure out what could have triggered the alarm at that time I do not see anything suspicious. What I do see, however, is that when I am in the playback mode the screen refreshes/breaks every 10 seconds or so and I'm wondering if somehow this is linked. I have the sensitivity set to medium. I have the grid covering 100% of the camera.

P.S: I should mention that there is a window in the area covered by the camera but I can't see that anything is happening outside this window. I have now enabled "dynamic analysis" so that I can try to figure out what is happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not sure why this is happening but I set up my DVR for motion detection (after office hours) and am seeing hundreds of alarms throughout the night and weekends. When I go to the log and select "Alarm" under Major Type and "Start Motion Detection" under Minor type I can see that the motion detection was activated a hundred times over the weekend (always on the same camera). When I go to "Playback" and try to figure out what could have triggered the alarm at that time I do not see anything suspicious. What I do see, however, is that when I am in the playback mode the screen refreshes/breaks every 10 seconds or so and I'm wondering if somehow this is linked. I have the sensitivity set to medium. I have the grid covering 100% of the camera.

P.S: I should mention that there is a window in the area covered by the camera but I can't see that anything is happening outside this window. I have now enabled "dynamic analysis" so that I can try to figure out what is happening.
Rarely will you have a situation where you want the sensitivity set to medium with the entire frame selected - especially if this is an outside camera at all.. Most of the time you will want to set it to low and highlight the area in which motion may/could/should happen. One option is to simply record 24/7 to assure nothing is ever missed (this is honestly always my recommendation) then enable email alerts with motion and image capture. That way if something does trigger it you will receive an email with 3 snap shots spaced "x" seconds apart (which you set) and you very quickly will know if you need to review footage and if so you have the snap shots with date/time stamp telling you exactly where to start.

Now don't get me wrong, if you configure it incorrectly or two sensitive all it will do is flood your inbox with alerts, but once dialed in and configured properly its great IMO.

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK. I've dialed down the sensitivity from 3 to 1 and will see if that helps the situation. One of the problems here is that the camera is pointed towards a window/door combination ie: this is a shop in which the storefront and door are competely transparent. Therefore, it's entirely possible that it is capturing passing headlights or other things going on outside the store. I remember seeing somewhere that some DVR/NVR's have the capability of activating motion detection only within a certain defocus area ie: if the image is outside the window it will not trigger it. I haven't figured out how to do this on my DVR and will assume that that capability is not there. Also, I could set it for Continuous Record but am not sure if that will give me enough recording time (4 cameras, 2MP each, 2TB hard drive). I know it's a little hard to calculate the recording time because it's dependent on frame rate, bitrate etc. I will have to play with all of these.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
OK. I've dialed down the sensitivity from 3 to 1 and will see if that helps the situation. One of the problems here is that the camera is pointed towards a window/door combination ie: this is a shop in which the storefront and door are competely transparent. Therefore, it's entirely possible that it is capturing passing headlights or other things going on outside the store. I remember seeing somewhere that some DVR/NVR's have the capability of activating motion detection only within a certain defocus area ie: if the image is outside the window it will not trigger it. I haven't figured out how to do this on my DVR and will assume that that capability is not there. Also, I could set it for Continuous Record but am not sure if that will give me enough recording time (4 cameras, 2MP each, 2TB hard drive). I know it's a little hard to calculate the recording time because it's dependent on frame rate, bitrate etc. I will have to play with all of these.
What model NVR do you have - you should be able to go into motion detection - select that channel/camera - then highlight with the red boxes what area you want covered, just exclude your windows. Remember, recording 24/7 will assure you always capture what happens, so if someone breaks in you'll have the video of them actually commiting the crime, and you'll be notified with snap shots as soon as they enter.

As for your 4 cameras running at 2.1mp, 30 FPS and Highest Quality you should be able to get 3-4 days of 24/7 recording - prob closer to 3.25 - 3.5 days. Changing to Normal/Standard quality, 20 FPS and staying at 2.1 you could get a full 7-9 days most likely. These are ballpark based on calculating more standard options/settings.