Hurricane Idalia headed for Florida

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, be safe and be prepared. No shame in running either!
Not at all! I read that a refinery mixed diesel with the gasoline and that may affect the ability of some people to evacuate in their cars. They may not even have an idea they have tainted gas until their engine dies!

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Right now it looks to be heading just north of Cedar Key which puts Tampa and us over in Lake County out of the cone.

All preps done over the weekend regardless, a good practice session for the season for us if nothing else. Now I have 25gal of gas treated with Stabil sitting in the shed :rolleyes:

We'll wait till tomorrow evening to bring stuff that might fly into the sheds and house, but otherwise ready. Only real concern being on the right (dirty) side of the storm is the outer bands carrying embedded tornados. I'd almost rather face the core storm than dodge those damn things that pop up in a moments notice.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not at all! I read that a refinery mixed diesel with the gasoline and that may affect the ability of some people to evacuate in their cars. They may not even have an idea they have tainted gas until they're engine dies!

Maybe just a tad smokey for the gas-fueled cars, let's hope....the other way around (gas into Diesel) could be A LOT worse. :facepalm:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
You gonna get any of this @CanCuba ?

View attachment 171056
We had about an hour of high wind and rain and now it's almost blue skies! We're supposed to get more wind and rain tomorrow but this is passing about 220km west of us. Those poor folks in the extreme west of the island get a lot of this stuff.

Here's the weather cam from earlier.

20230828_152115.png

20230828_154935.png

And now:

20230828_170216.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like you’re getting pummeled with the first big outer band about now. I know infrastructure isn’t exactly robust there, fingers crossed you maintain what little window of power and comms you normally get.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for your best wishes. We're the blue dot:
Screenshot_2023-08-29-07-11-48-68_7cf7a8a3e678495df2dfe6bf9d91dcbb.jpg

Power has come on and off a couple times already. The utility turns the power off for winds over 60km/h and the forecast isn't for more than 40km/h here in Havana.

I have a 150ah battery array hooked up to a UPS so cameras will keep recording for a couple days. But we're not expecting it to be that bad in Habana.

Those poor bastards in Pinar del Rio are still recovering from Ian last year. Very beautiful, rural area but they get nasty storms as it's basically a peninsula off the west of the island.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It looks like most of the heavy rain was the US19 corridor. Prayers go out for those affected. Local news showed Steinhachee under water. It's expected to stay a category 2 up through Georgia. It is in Perry now. Something we don't always think about is how the storm can affect us after it passes. Florida gas compressor station is in Perry and it supplies gas to power stations south of there. Also several thousand acres of solar fields in the storm. Wonder if we will see pictures of any damage there?