I can't get the cameras time synced

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The server is the computer that NetTime is running on, not the NetTime server. Eg if your BI computer (running NetTime) IP is 192.168.1.5, point the camera at that, not 0.nettime.pool.ntp.org

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The server is the computer that NetTime is running on, not the NetTime server. Eg if your BI computer (running NetTime) IP is 192.168.1.5, point the camera at that, not 0.nettime.pool.ntp.org
Ok thanks. I did that. how do I know it is working. Seems to be 1 second off now. A bit better. On the 'network time sync' software it seems to be 2 seconds ahead.

do I need to adjust any settings on the windows firewall 123 port? Maybe remove it from the rule allowing it on TCP?

I also have 2 nic cards. it is the NIC card that is connected to the internet that would be used?

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I shut down NetTime. Still 1 second off...

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes thanks for the help.

For windows firewall - I choose TCP / Port 123 and allow all connections?
Are you running the nettime synch tool? If so, your cameras should be pointed to whatever PC you have running that time server software. That screenshot looks like it is from a camera that is pointing to the Internet for time.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Another thing you can do is check each camera against Time.is - exact time, any time zone

My cams are all within 1-2 seconds of each other. Not sure you can do any better than that. I am using the net time synch app and I have it synch every 12 hours. It's always going to be a bit off. Clocks drift. As you can see in the pic, even the PC is off. It's not much but it always drifts.

drift.png

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another thing you can do is check each camera against Time.is - exact time, any time zone

My cams are all within 1-2 seconds of each other. Not sure you can do any better than that. I am using the net time synch app and I have it synch every 12 hours. It's always going to be a bit off. Clocks drift. As you can see in the pic, even the PC is off. It's not much but it always drifts.

View attachment 46372
Thank you everyone that helped and your advice. Very helpful here.

I shut off time sync tool and it is still 1 second off from yesterday so that is fine then.

As always great info posted and hopefully will help others also.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No. You need to point them to the non-internet NIC IP, the one connected to the POE switch.
Thank you - I just saw this. I did this and still no update. All of the cams are off.

NIC card connected to POE switch. I am doing the IP that I have in my NIC when I go to properties I assume.

And the Time on Network Time program should show up on all cameras within 1-2 seconds? It says error none. Running as window service.

Stock settings on net time - I did not change anything. What could I possibly doing wrong?

maybe something with windows firewall? I allowed or excluded net time's entire folder from firewall.

Last edited:

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you check in the C:\Program Files (x86)\NetTime folder and look for a nettimelog.txt file. In there, you will see if the NTP requests are being seen and answered. It will also tell you if the net time software is able to synch with whatever time server on the Internet you configured it to synch with.

In the log, the entries should look like this:

9/1/2019 7:41:13 AM Sent NTP Response to: <insert-IP-address-here>

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
So looking at NetTime on the BI PC is that working fine? You should be able to click on the system tray icon and check when it last synced. If that’s working fine then move onto a cam, check that that’s set to point to the IP address of the NIC on which all your cams are. Not too sure but if you can do a sync now try that and see what the cam does and reports.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for taking the time with this. Here is all the info I have.

For all cams. a few are 6 seconds apart - others 30 seconds or over a minute apart.

Last edited:

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't see any entries in your logfile that indicate it is responding to any NTP requests. Do you have any lines in that log file that say what I posted earlier - "9/1/2019 7:41:13 AM Sent NTP Response to: <insert-IP-address-here>"??

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see any entries in your logfile that indicate it is responding to any NTP requests. Do you have any lines in that log file that say what I posted earlier - "9/1/2019 7:41:13 AM Sent NTP Response to: <insert-IP-address-here>"??
There has not been anything like that. Why would it not be doing this?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
So it sounds like the cameras are not requesting from the internal interface (the NIC in the POE switch with the cameras) - this would explain why the cameras still all have different times. Try typing this from a command line and post a reply with the text:

netstat -ano | findstr 123

You should see a response that looks like this:

UDP 0.0.0.0:123 *:*

That would indicate your PC is listening on UDP port 123 for NTP requests.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have logged into each individual camera’s web interface and then configured each camera to do a NTP query of the ip address of the computer which is running the NetTime application...correct?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have logged into each individual camera’s web interface and then configured each camera to do a NTP query of the ip address of the computer which is running the NetTime application...correct?
yes just like screenshot shows above - each camera has same setting. I am using the NIC card that is plugged into the switch cams are on not connected to internet.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try turning off your firewall to make certain it’s not an inaccessible NTP port issue.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Earlier, from your screenshot, you do not have "Allow computers to synch" option turned on

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 11.45.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 11.45.42 PM.png

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @mikeynags figured it out it seems i didn't have Allow other computers to sync to this computer.