I enabled sub streams, where'd my main stream go?

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I enabled sub streams for my camera, and under Record, I have 'Continuous + alerts', and the 'record dual streams' is checked but greyed out.
Camera status shows activity under both main and sub streams.
When I view the camera footage live, and solo the camera, it shows me my high res main stream.
But when I playback any of the recorded clips, there's only the low res sub stream, and I can't find a way to make it playback the main stream; even in full screen or when I export the clip it's the low res sub.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It records substream 24/7 and then in your case when a confirmed alert happens, it then records mainstream.

Therefore it will only play back mainstream when the camera was under alert status and the rest of the time is is substream.

It is best to use continuous + triggered so in case an alert is cancelled for an event you want.

So go to an alert and play and that should be mainstream.

So if you are playing alerts and you are still substream when solo then post screen shots of:

Camera settings including trigger and record tabs.

BI Camera status page that shows FPS, bitrate, KEY, etc.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh, in that case 'Continuous + Alerts' might be the wrong setting for me - I wanted to have 100% of the actual footage recorded plus separate clips when motion is detected, just in case motion detection fails.
It's my fresh first BI install with no alerts or triggers yet :)

I've set it to just 'Continuous' for now. Just checked the help file and it says this;

Continuous. Record video all of the time the camera is online and active.

Continuous + alerts. When used with a dual-streaming camera along with direct-to-
disc, the result is a BVR file which will contain the sub-stream continuously
recorded, but the main-stream only recorded when the camera is in an alerted state.
During main-stream playback, the sub-stream will be upsampled whenever the main-
stream is not available. This dual-stream hybrid may be exported only when re-
encoding is selected, although you may still export the main-stream in segments
when not re-encoding. When not using dual-streams or direct-to-disc, recording of
the sub (or only) stream is continuous.

Continuous + triggered. Similar to Continuous + alerts, but main stream recording
occurs upon trigger, not just alerts, ensuring that the main stream is recorded even
for canceled alerts.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know of a clean way to have the main stream motion clips be separate from the sub stream continuous clips. Except running two separate Blue Iris machines. You could do it by adding the sub stream and main streams as separate cameras, but I don't consider that very clean ;)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, in that case 'Continuous + Alerts' might be the wrong setting for me - I wanted to have 100% of the actual footage recorded plus separate clips when motion is detected, just in case motion detection fails.
It's my fresh first BI install with no alerts or triggers yet :)

I've set it to just 'Continuous' for now. Just checked the help file and it says this;
If you simply want to record the main stream all the time just use continuous. There is no reason to have a separate clip. You can force blue iris to "cut clip when triggered" but there is no reason to do this. Your alerts will point you to the motion detected point of the clip.
If you wanted to have substream and motion detection simply use continuous + triggered, you will still get the substream if something is missed.

Reaction score
I enabled sub streams for my camera, and under Record, I have 'Continuous + alerts', and the 'record dual streams' is checked but greyed out.
Camera status shows activity under both main and sub streams.
When I view the camera footage live, and solo the camera, it shows me my high res main stream.
But when I playback any of the recorded clips, there's only the low res sub stream, and I can't find a way to make it playback the main stream; even in full screen or when I export the clip it's the low res sub.
Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage

^^hope that helps.
I only installed BI last week for the first time and had the same issue where recordings are all substream no matter what settings I choose. I followed the above link and problem solved

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Speaking of substreams and optimizing CPU usage. Sounds like some people say hardware acceleration is a good thing and other reporting it might be increasing their CPU usage when it's enabled when using substreams for DeepStack. Anything definitive regarding this or is it still YMMV?

1679351613596.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking so substreams and optimizing CPU usage. Sounds like some people say hardware acceleration is a good thing and other reporting it might be increasing their CPU usage when it's enabled when using substreams for DeepStack. Anything definitive regarding this or is it still YMMV?

View attachment 157553
Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration several updates into when AI was added.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (internal or external) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not using hardware acceleration. But if you use it, use plain intel.

Here is a thread where someone turned off hardware acceleration and their CPU dropped 10-15%.