I finished my LPR set-up after 10 months of testing and proof of concept.

RJM_50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using both a Turret IPC-T54IR-ZE and the Bullet IPC-T54IR-Z4E cameras doing LPR captures for me. My state stopped issuing front license plates in 1983 to increase their profits, same vehicle registration costs charged, but only 1 plate delivered to each vehicle owner. So I have to use 2 cameras to capture traffic from both directions.
I use the more common Bullet 12x IPC-T54IR-Z4E camera with more zoom to get a close view of vehicle license plates. Mine is shooting over oncoming traffic to the opposite side of the roadway, and captures plates at ~75ft away. It's a 25MPH zone, but it has captured a speeding motorcycle with its mini license plate (dirty and bent to obscure the view).
While I use the smaller Turret 5x IPC-T54IR-ZE camera is right next to the roadway is almost square with license plates going past and enough zoom to capture plates at that close 15ft range. We don't have front license plates in my State, so I have to capture everyone as their driving away from the cameras. This small turret camera is only looking at vehicles ~15ft as they cross the field of view.
CAT5A is ran to the front of the house for a small patch panel, then Exterior CAT6 is routed under the grass, then under the sidewalk to these locations, its really easy to pull low voltage or irrigation under the sidewalk with a long flexible drill bit for under $50 online.
Additional cameras on the property are able to get a decent vehicle description to go with the license plate if a we search doesn't get results on the plate & vehicle, sometimes Google Lens is best you can do to get a vehicle description. There is a group on teens that rides their illegal Mini-Bikes in the neighborhood weekly, trespassing, looking for any unlocked doors to burglarize those individuals. They broke down in front of my home one night, and I was able to get the description of the (unknown) support vehicle they toss their stolen items in during the night. Once they noticed I had security cameras they ran away quickly. Law Enforcement used the plate number to get an address where they store their illegal bikes, and know where to head when there are 911calls of an individual burglarized by a group of teens on scrap lawn mower bikes.

Yes these are in the municipal easement area between the side walk and curb, this might be illegal in your area, but its not where I'm located, save the civil rights speech's for your grumpy teens when they grow up. I'm responsible for the lawncare and general maintenance, the tree is my property insure if it falls. And multiple City agencies were at my property looking at storm damage, then again for storm damage clean-up, again to inspect the property, then again multiple time's marking the unities for fiber internet installation underground in my neighborhood. either nobody seen the cameras, or they don't care and are legal.Picsart_24-05-11_04-09-20-255.jpgPicsart_24-05-11_03-45-54-808.jpgPXL_20230829_182336549.MP~4-EDIT.jpg

MJB-53

n3wb
Reaction score
RJ, This looks great. I've been trying to do this for a while now using different cameras. My problem is at night when their plate lights are on, it just looks like a white rectangle. Are there setting that you found? software? I can't even find the cameras you referred to. Any help would be appreciated.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have pics of how you ran that wire down the backside of that tree from the camera down to the ground? Curious to see what it looks like from a pedestrian's point of view. I doubt you have to worry about the wire and cam you ran to the tree. Probably against City ordinance but unlikely you'll have a problem unless there are complaints. Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission in this instance. In Florida the soil is so sandy we just hook up a piece of PVC to the garden hose then tunnel under walkways without a problem.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

MJB-53

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought Blue Iris a year or two ago. I was really excited and built a system specifically for it. I have since cannibalized it because I failed to understand it's limitations. I had ten 14TB video drives, an Intel 10 core processor as they recommended and then tested it on a couple cameras. It was nice... until I added 25 more cameras, all 4k and 8k. My 10 Gbit POE network could easily keep up, but the processor was maxed. I couldn't use that computer for any playback, so fine, I dedicated another computer for playback. I tweaked the setting for weeks on and off.. until I gave up on Blue Iris. Nobody could offer settings that helped and I needed more cameras. Property management is camera intensive. Probably wasted $15K on different systems like Axis, (which was great but the cameras die after 2-3 years and are expensive) Until I tried Reolink. They just work and I can combine recorders for as many cameras as I like. Zero learning curve, no hassles, and cameras are inexpensive. Unfortunately I don't have the flexibility to change the camera settings to read license plates. They also don't make a LPR camera. I keep reading that every camera needs it's own settings and working out triggers and shutter speed and some posts have examples of successes but it all seems like a crapshoot. I have a parking lot entrance and a zoomed camera mounted 6 feet up, on a column and it's perfect during the day... zero success at night. I will keep reading all these posts but I haven't found anything specific enough to follow yet. (camera, software, settings, lighting?)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought Blue Iris a year or two ago. I was really excited and built a system specifically for it. I have since cannibalized it because I failed to understand it's limitations. I had ten 14TB video drives, an Intel 10 core processor as they recommended and then tested it on a couple cameras. It was nice... until I added 25 more cameras, all 4k and 8k. My 10 Gbit POE network could easily keep up, but the processor was maxed. I couldn't use that computer for any playback, so fine, I dedicated another computer for playback. I tweaked the setting for weeks on and off.. until I gave up on Blue Iris. Nobody could offer settings that helped and I needed more cameras. Property management is camera intensive. Probably wasted $15K on different systems like Axis, (which was great but the cameras die after 2-3 years and are expensive) Until I tried Reolink. They just work and I can combine recorders for as many cameras as I like. Zero learning curve, no hassles, and cameras are inexpensive. Unfortunately I don't have the flexibility to change the camera settings to read license plates. They also don't make a LPR camera. I keep reading that every camera needs it's own settings and working out triggers and shutter speed and some posts have examples of successes but it all seems like a crapshoot. I have a parking lot entrance and a zoomed camera mounted 6 feet up, on a column and it's perfect during the day... zero success at night. I will keep reading all these posts but I haven't found anything specific enough to follow yet. (camera, software, settings, lighting?)
You clearly had something set up wrong. People here run 30-50 cameras on a 4th generation just fine.

You are in property management and rely on Reolink? Please post some examples of people and cars moving at night.

Reolink does a very good job of still images. But at night perps are a complete motion blur with missing body parts lol. They would be a difficult camera to use for LPR because they won't adhere to user settings, as you have found out.

Here is the unofficial Reolink thread. It is documented in that thread as well the issues that BI has with Reolink cameras.

You can see all the attempts people have provided to demonstrate the quality of Reolink, and they are all a blurry mess at night or missing body parts or other messes.

We have challenged folks to provide a clean capture of someone moving at night with a Reolink and as you can see with over 20 pages, nobody has yet to provide a usable image with motion at night. Maybe you will be the first....

Reolink's algorithm is designed to produce a nice bright static image at night and that comes at a cost of blur and ghost and missing body parts at night.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1st rule of ipcamtalk club "don't buy reolink" ..

Share your moving subject images at night ..

MJB-53

n3wb
Reaction score
You clearly had something set up wrong. People here run 30-50 cameras on a 4th generation just fine.

You are in property management and rely on Reolink? Please post some examples of people and cars moving at night.

Reolink does a very good job of still images. But at night perps are a complete motion blur with missing body parts lol. They would be a difficult camera to use for LPR because they won't adhere to user settings, as you have found out.

Here is the unofficial Reolink thread. It is documented in that thread as well the issues that BI has with Reolink cameras.

You can see all the attempts people have provided to demonstrate the quality of Reolink, and they are all a blurry mess at night or missing body parts or other messes.

We have challenged folks to provide a clean capture of someone moving at night with a Reolink and as you can see with over 20 pages, nobody has yet to provide a usable image with motion at night. Maybe you will be the first....

Reolink's algorithm is designed to produce a nice bright static image at night and that comes at a cost of blur and ghost and missing body parts at night.

You're partially correct, most of the cameras are mounted 16 feet in the air and overlook football field size areas. We see ghosts in poor lighting. All the new cameras we use have AI that only works if something is center of camera and within 50 feet. We still see but the motion does not trigger. However, the lower mounted cameras (under 8 feet) and the zoomed cameras are excellent.
Darkness is not an issue with IR lights or parking lot lights but obviously dark skinned people have invisible faces. A white moth will set off the motion sensor, but a black man can run naked laps without a triggered camera. (ask me how I know) LOL
Fast motion at night is a serious Reolink deficit. We simply light our property.
Another weakness is the size of the hard drives. Reolink recorders have a 6TB limit but you can add another 6TB external drive to each recorder. So we just use 3 recorders, each with another 6TB drive attached. As we add cameras, we add recorders. But the software is nice and allows seamless camera review for the same date/time as you switch cameras. That's a serious time saver when you're pulled video for police upload.

As for the Blue Iris system, I agree, something was wrong. At the time, we used tech support and forums to help but we were told we did everything right. We could get all 23-25 cameras to record and could even get the CPU to drop to 40%-60% usage but not when there was a lot of activity. I don't remember the settings or all the issues now, only that I gave up. I will say that the night vision and motion clarity was much better, if not perfect. We still couldn't read license plates at night but it did seem possible with the right camera and setup. I would set it up again if I get time, just not for my every day, all camera system. It would be for LPR and specific night action areas. The system I build was supposed to run 70 cameras and I could not imaging that after just twenty something managed to tax it so hard.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
ipc 5442 z4e is the cam you need there....now sold under a different part number. A BI machine will not run 70 cameras, for that you'd need 2 BI machines. 50 cam limit per license, Thats what I remember about it last time anybody had a discussion about that.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
EmpireTech IPC-B54IR-Z4E
i had my best experience using 2 cams for LPR location. reuse whatever is there for daytime/nighttime scene captures. and one for plates. i had my Condo parking entrance setup that way.....used three cams actually one on the sidewalk, because people do stupid shit after they park as well.

1721623674631.png
1721623708102.png
1721623736848.png
1721623763581.png

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You're partially correct, most of the cameras are mounted 16 feet in the air and overlook football field size areas. We see ghosts in poor lighting. All the new cameras we use have AI that only works if something is center of camera and within 50 feet. We still see but the motion does not trigger. However, the lower mounted cameras (under 8 feet) and the zoomed cameras are excellent.
Darkness is not an issue with IR lights or parking lot lights but obviously dark skinned people have invisible faces. A white moth will set off the motion sensor, but a black man can run naked laps without a triggered camera. (ask me how I know) LOL
Fast motion at night is a serious Reolink deficit. We simply light our property.
Another weakness is the size of the hard drives. Reolink recorders have a 6TB limit but you can add another 6TB external drive to each recorder. So we just use 3 recorders, each with another 6TB drive attached. As we add cameras, we add recorders. But the software is nice and allows seamless camera review for the same date/time as you switch cameras. That's a serious time saver when you're pulled video for police upload.

As for the Blue Iris system, I agree, something was wrong. At the time, we used tech support and forums to help but we were told we did everything right. We could get all 23-25 cameras to record and could even get the CPU to drop to 40%-60% usage but not when there was a lot of activity. I don't remember the settings or all the issues now, only that I gave up. I will say that the night vision and motion clarity was much better, if not perfect. We still couldn't read license plates at night but it did seem possible with the right camera and setup. I would set it up again if I get time, just not for my every day, all camera system. It would be for LPR and specific night action areas. The system I build was supposed to run 70 cameras and I could not imaging that after just twenty something managed to tax it so hard.
Mostly likely you did not need a bunch of 4k and 8k cams set on high bandwidth usage bogging down the system with a unbalanced write / playback load.
My buddy has a reolink house and it's all ezpz how it works but the cameras have limitations.
I had a Condo property...I made the identification of things well enough with 2 and 4 MP cams. Saves bandwidth.
The Condo had an old 16 ch analog system that i rehabbed to color /1080 P and added Nightowl 16 channel DVR. This sucked ass for crime review.
i was able to reuse about 8-9 cam locations with the legacy coax.
So When i added blue Iris on an HP elitedesk i5-8500 with 24 GB ram and 2 Western digital drives 8 and 5 Terabytes. Playback was smooth. And crime review was swift and concise. I used a Cisco Catalyst 3560-X Series Switch
Windows and BI run on a Samsung 250GB SSD. data/ video streams are relegated to surveilance drives.

I wrote about 2/3 of the cams to the 8TB drive and 1/3 of the cams to the 5TB drive.
I added cams over time as my work time allowed. When I left I believe we had 19 cams on BI... 17 showing here Added a dumpster cam and a boiler room cam to make 19.,,,,and 8-9 legacy cams.
I was getting 3.5 weeks of data saved before overwriting occurred.
my 1st BI system was an -i7-3370S on an Optiplex SFF i used a a couple refurbished WD desktop drives sold by WD but one was glitchy. I had problems.
Playback was horrible. crashes and freezes galore. untrustworthy.
Built a newer system from the I5-8500 HP and the thing has been steady as a rock.

1721625964155.png

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought Blue Iris a year or two ago.I tweaked the setting for weeks on and off.. until I gave up on Blue Iris. Nobody could offer settings that helped and I needed more cameras.
Let's see.....
  • You bought BI "...a year or two ago".
  • You joined IPCT 6 days ago on July 16, 2024
  • You have 2 posts here relating to your issue with Blue Iris
  • Six days later you're throwing in the towel because "....Nobody could offer settings that helped" ?
Sorry you weren't able to get your issue resolved in a timely manner...... was it a forum other than IPCT where you sought help but nothing worked? :idk:

Last edited: