I had to reset my Hikvision NVR to factory default, now says "No link" in the Live feed for the hikvision camera's connected

Luvkashyap

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I had to reset to default factory settings by Hikvision 16 port NVR. After I did that, cameras connected to it display "No link" via the HDMI to the TV.

I ran the SADP TOOL by connecting my PC into a spare NVR port. It does displays all the connected cameras. I also tried to change the IP displayed there to match the one seen on TV Screen via HDMI. It didn't work

Appreciate any help

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Appreciate any help
Did you put the NVR password back to what is was before the reset?
If the cameras were added with the NVR PoE port set as 'Plug&Play' the NVR password was probably used for the cameras, and it may now be incorrect.
Using the HDMI interface, try ticking the box 'Show camera password' to see what they are set to in the NVR.

Luvkashyap

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you put the NVR password back to what is was before the reset?
If the cameras were added with the NVR PoE port set as 'Plug&Play' the NVR password was probably used for the cameras, and it may now be incorrect.
Using the HDMI interface, try ticking the box 'Show camera password' to see what they are set to in the NVR.

Thanks for replying @alastairstevenson . I had forgotten the password, thats why I reset to default. It prompted me to choose a new password after the reset was done. Did I do it wrong? Yes earlier they were set as Plug and Play.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds likely that the cameras are not connecting because they now have an invalid password, probably still set as the old NVR password.
What firmware versions did SADP show for the cameras? Any at 5.4.4 or lower?
If so, the password can be extracted by devious methods ...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats how it looks like
OK - scratch that easy possibility, none of the cameras has old enough firmware that they have the 'Hikvision backdoor' through which the password can be extracted.

According to Google, those dome cameras have an internal reset button.
Alternatively, if they are not very accessible, it would be worth seeing if that model still supports the Hikvision tftp updater. TFTPServ
Applying the same version of firmware should reset the camera to defaults.

Luvkashyap

n3wb
Reaction score
So actualy the camera reset option did the trick. Now I just have to do it for all the cameras. So now the cameras would take my NVR Password?

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the nvr channel is set to plug and play, they should pretty much set themselves up once you reset them.
It should also sort out the fact that you've got 2 cameras with the x.x.x.7 ip address

Luvkashyap

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, thats what happened. But for my knowledge, now after the reset of the camera's, they automatically take the NVR password (which I had reset to start with after which No link started coming). Thanks, @Will.I.Am for your input

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The nvr password is pushed to the cameras through the plug and play setting on the nvr - once they're defaulted, the nvr pretty much takes them over.

If you change the password of the nvr after the cameras are set up though it can get a bit funny if you then add new cameras as I think it keeps the old password on the existing cameras but pushes the new password to any new ones.

I've always set the cameras up manually before attaching them but that can turn into another faff of its own. The easiest thing to do is just set the nvr password and never change it, but that's not really great from a security point of view either.

Luvkashyap

n3wb
Reaction score
The nvr password is pushed to the cameras through the plug and play setting on the nvr - once they're defaulted, the nvr pretty much takes them over.

If you change the password of the nvr after the cameras are set up though it can get a bit funny if you then add new cameras as I think it keeps the old password on the existing cameras but pushes the new password to any new ones.

I've always set the cameras up manually before attaching them but that can turn into another faff of its own. The easiest thing to do is just set the nvr password and never change it, but that's not really great from a security point of view either.

You are spot on, as thats what happened. The new camera I added worked and rest all didnt (now I know why). Wish there was a simplier/easier method to handle this

So what is the BEST way to add New camera's in future ?

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the password hasn't changed on the nvr, the new cameras will be added with the same password as the old ones.

The issue here was that you defaulted the nvr, which resulted in you changing the password for it AND the password it used to connect to the cameras.
If you default they nvr, you're always going to lose the connection to your cameras.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Now would be a good time to make use of the various quite good 'self-service password reset facilities' in the NVR.
See the 'Forgot Password' link on the NVR web GUI login page.
Check out for example the Security Q&A one.
Then if you forget the password again you won't have to reset all settings to defaults and lose connection to the cameras.

After you've reset the NVR password, you can use the 'show camera password' tickbox in the HDMI interface to see the passwords that the NVR has set on the cameras.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So actualy the camera reset option did the trick. Now I just have to do it for all the cameras. So now the cameras would take my NVR Password?
If you haven't already done this yet -

I had to reset to default factory settings by Hikvision 16 port NVR
I'm just curious how you did this, assuming you'd lost access somehow.
And if you hadn't lost access - then the previously known NVR password is very likely what the cameras would have been using.
Which could then be used via SADP to put the camera IP addresses back to what the NVR channels were now expecting after the reset to defaults.

Luvkashyap

n3wb
Reaction score
If you haven't already done this yet -

I'm just curious how you did this, assuming you'd lost access somehow.
And if you hadn't lost access - then the previously known NVR password is very likely what the cameras would have been using.
Which could then be used via SADP to put the camera IP addresses back to what the NVR channels were now expecting after the reset to defaults.

So I had tried that before (putting the IPs of what it showed in the SADP tool) but it didnt work and said "Wrong username and password". What worked was resetting the cameras, then it was Plug and Play

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's not quite what I meant.
What I was thinking was using SADP to change the camera IP addresses to what the NVR is now requiring, and changing the camera passwords to match what you've now set in the NVR.

Alternatively, if you know what the NVR password was before the reset to defaults, you can access the cameras web GUI with that to reset them to defaults, at which point the NVR would automatically add them under Plug&Play.

Luvkashyap

n3wb
Reaction score
So I had tried the 1st approach you mentioned and it kept on saying wrong user name password.....
The old nvr password I thought was the password never worked ...that's why the reset

Muskilz

n3wb
Reaction score
OK - scratch that easy possibility, none of the cameras has old enough firmware that they have the 'Hikvision backdoor' through which the password can be extracted.

According to Google, those dome cameras have an internal reset button.
Alternatively, if they are not very accessible, it would be worth seeing if that model still supports the Hikvision tftp updater. TFTPServ
Applying the same version of firmware should reset the camera to defaults.
And how does theTFtp work if i may ask