i HAVE NO IDEA HOW THIS EVEN WORKED!

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
last week I started a camera install at a high rise condo complex consisting of 11 cameras. They had a small 4 camera system in place that i took out. 2 of the cameras were in a under ground parking garage that is probably 3ooo feet away from the NVR, all the cat 4 was strapped to water lines, conduit, gas lines or anything else they could fit a zip tie around. I pulled out 8 poe switches that were connected to each camera in the garage. all the 45s were covered in oxidation and some other shit A scientist couldnt identify! and the cameras had a pretty decent picture. the maintenance guy that took care of it said he just kept adding switches until it worked.
I out in Uniview 5mp starlight cameras and a 32 ch nvr. to get the signal from the parking garage i used Vitek access points. also used one to get internet to the guard shack so they can log in to the nvr.
I love these Vitek radios! just set the dip switches and aim them and the signal was very strong. I am not affiliated with vitek just want to get the word out to other techs and installers. to check these out if you need a solid wireless signal. Ill post some pics of the install tomorrow when I get the job finished

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I pulled out 8 poe switches that were connected to each camera in the garage. all the 45s were covered in oxidation and some other shit A scientist couldnt identify! and the cameras had a pretty decent picture. the maintenance guy that took care of it said he just kept adding switches until it worked.
I out in Uniview 5mp starlight cameras and a 32 ch nvr. to get the signal from the parking garage i used Vitek access points. also used one to get internet to the guard shack so they can log in to the nvr.
Yeah.. you removed a good working system and replace it with ......

Nice.

Its quite common to add switches together because network cable should only run over 100m.

wifi radio in underground is a absolute NOGO. Mostly the walls are made of thick reinforced concrete, many steel beams which have huge influence on signal. even worse, if there are moving cars they also have influence on the signal.

also radios can be influenced by the 2.4ghz car openers.. and jamming a signal is done with a 10usd jammer

You also may replaced some good 2MP 1/2.8 with awful 5mp uniview cameras (you didnt post the model, so maybe they are good).

the main question is why someone replace a working system with wifi ?

also used one to get internet to the guard shack so they can log in to the nvr.
i smell port forwarding :D

just my 2 1/4 cents

a good way to handle long distance is to run fiber to some central points, put poe switches and a media converter into waterproof containers/boxes and run the cameras to the poe switch points which are under 100m ... then you have one switch in the building where all fiber connections end. if you need connection to another building you can run fiber between them.

Last edited:

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah.. you removed a good working system and replace it with ......

Nice.

Its quite common to add switches together because network cable should only run over 100m.

wifi radio in underground is a absolute NOGO. Mostly the walls are made of thick reinforced concrete, many steel beams which have huge influence on signal. even worse, if there are moving cars they also have influence on the signal.

also radios can be influenced by the 2.4ghz car openers.. and jamming a signal is done with a 10usd jammer

You also may replaced some good 2MP 1/2.8 with awful 5mp uniview cameras (you didnt post the model, so maybe they are good).

the main question is why someone replace a working system with wifi ?

i smell port forwarding :D

just my 2 1/4 cents

a good way to handle long distance is to run fiber to some central points, put poe switches and a media converter into waterproof containers/boxes and run the cameras to the poe switch points which are under 100m ... then you have one switch in the building where all fiber connections end. if you need connection to another building you can run fiber between them.
the radio is not mounted in the garage. they are outside in line of sight with transmitter which is about 700 ft away. the model # is
Uniview UN-IPC325SBDF28KI0
The reason for the access point is because they they did not want to spend the money on a fiber run so i sold them access points. I try to hardwire everything if I can but sometimes wireless just makes sense. I have quite a few in the field and have never had any issues with them.
No port forwarding either! if someone really wants to use a jammer to fuck with the signal than by all means do. this is a condo complex not the pentagon. all they will see is a few cameras watching the entrance and exit of a garage, lobby area, gate to the pool house and a few in the front of the building.
there managment company spect out the uniview eqipment because they have that system in there other properties and wanted to use the same software. and it is good equipment. not something you get from the big box stores

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just checked my billing software and see that I have installed 417 systems in the last year which were mostly Uniview cameras. And there were 4 service calls. 2 of the calls were for the same location because the cameras were damaged. 1 was painted over and the other was smashed with a crowbar. it actually still worked but the case was cracked. and the other was a failed hard drive. no biggie it happens. they were WD purple drives.
I understand that some people will knock any brand if they use are not familiar with it or are to lazy to learn the in's and out's or different systems. I also have a shitload of Dahua, Axis,Blue Iris, and a few others. all of this shit is made in China! I believe that systems that are NOT Properly installed and set up properly are the biggest culprit of bad quality Video. of course the equipment also comes into play. but if people take there time and think about the job and do a little research before the installation begins the system will be less of a pain in the cornhole at the end.I have seen harbor freight systems look decent if installed and adjusted properly. I wouldnt install them myself but ya know what i mean!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
....do a little research before the installation begins the system will be less of a pain in the cornhole at the end.
Finally, a proper and contextual use of the word "cornhole !"
Merriam-Webster says its use regarding a bean bag toss game was first used in 2001.....growing up in '50's Georgia it was NOT a game! :highfive:

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It may not be the pentagon, but it is concerning that anyone motivated enough could jam the signal just before performing any nefarious acts and have no recording of it. In todays world, no video, no conviction. Seems like these locations are mostly looking for ‘feel good’ installations due to being low risk for altercations. So it sounds like it is working out so far.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It may not be the pentagon, but it is concerning that anyone motivated enough could jam the signal just before performing any nefarious acts and have no recording of it. In todays world, no video, no conviction. Seems like these locations are mostly looking for ‘feel good’ installations due to being low risk for altercations. So it sounds like it is working out so far.
I understand what you are saying. If someone wants to get in and steal, rape, rob or whatever they want to do. they will do regardless what what security devices are in place. I am not a big fan of wireless. keep in mind that there are only 2 cameras on the system that that are connected to a radio. everything else is hardwired. When I do use radios I make sure there are in direct line of sight. these are quality access points not some garbage from Nelly's, Harbor freight or a Number of other distributors that cater to the Happy Home owner that wants to save a few bucks and do the installation on there own.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is one pic from the install at a condo complex. Ill remember to take pics of the equipment tomorrow and post them incase anyone is interested
Thanks @Robert hocevar

If you have the old corroded RJ45 connectors / BNC feel free to share those also .. would be good for people to see and learn from your experiences.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks @Robert hocevar

If you have the old corroded RJ45 connectors / BNC feel free to share those also .. would be good for people to see and learn from your experiences.
Just happened to have these in my truck. I wish I would have taken a pic of one of the cameras. I had to use a pair of channel locks to pull the connector out. this is exactly why I always use Deox on them.

Attachments

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
417 installs in a year? holy cow!.....you must have a helper or two?
I usually keep 6 guys working. 2 man crews and 2 service techs. the service guys are mostly handling alarm installation and take overs. I also have a couple of ladies that do sales. I thought during this pandemic I would be down to maybe 1 other guy but Right now we are slammed! Thank god!
I got a call last week from a guy that bought a Home with full house audio, Home theater and asked us to show him how everything works. and this turned into a nice little job. I sold him Unifi access points, cameras, a few Sonos amps, Outside speakers and of course cameras. He wanted ring door bells. I talked him out of that really fast!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Aww No Ring? :) Sound's like you've got yourself a nice business going. Good Job!
At the rate I misplace screwdrivers and tools, I'd have to hire a guy to follow me around to pick up after me.
"Here's your Crimpers." Where the hell did I leave those?
Would be hard to make money at my age......
I might be up for 1 install every 2 months LOL....

Last edited:

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Aww No Ring? :) Sound's like you've got yourself a nice business going. Good Job!
At the rate I misplace screwdrivers and tools, I'd have to hire a guy to follow me around to pick up after me.
"Here's your Crimpers." Where the hell did I leave those?
Would be hard to make money at my age......
I might be up for 1 install every 2 months LOL....
I don't evan want to talk about lost tools! How many flashlights have I left, lost in attics? Or how many Milwaukee impacts dropped off a ladder or lift, In 30 years I only had one thing stolen, a 20 ft extension ladder. I set it up and ran back to my van to get something and I see Sandford and sons driving away with my ladder in the back of there truck. I tried to chase them but they were to fast for my old ass!
Now I save money. When I see klien screwdrivers on sale I stock up! Oh yeah, Home depot has Milwaukee hole saw kits on sale for 48 bucks, had to get a couple of this. Nice until I loose a arbor.