i know the camera password, but don't know how to enter it

Reaction score
hello,

i have 8 hikvision camera (chinese versions). yesterday i disconnected all my cameras from the nvr and moved it to a different spot and when i plugged it in, 5 of them worked and the other 3 had an errror saying passsword error.

When i go to nvr's camera setup screen, i can't enter the password. I know what the password is, but i can't enter it.

I enabled virtual host, but i can't access the cameras that has password error. it doesn't take me to the login page. I can loginto the other cameras that is working via virtual host.

I also connected a LAN to the NVR poe port, and i can see the cameras in SADP but i don't see an option to reset password.

Please help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
i have 8 hikvision camera (chinese versions). yesterday i disconnected all my cameras from the nvr and moved it to a different spot and when i plugged it in, 5 of them worked and the other 3 had an errror saying passsword error.
Had the cameras been added at different times, maybe after the NVR password had been changed?
When Hikvision cameras are added to Hikvision NVR PoE ports in Plug&Play mode - by default the NVR password is used to 'Activate' the camera.
So I'm wondering if not all the PoE channels have the same camera password configured, and if you have re-connected the cameras in a different order from how they were connected originally.

i can see the cameras in SADP
Do the problem cameras have firmware that's older than 5.4.5 by any chance?
If so - the password can be extracted by a devious method ...

Reaction score
Had the cameras been added at different times, maybe after the NVR password had been changed?
When Hikvision cameras are added to Hikvision NVR PoE ports in Plug&Play mode - by default the NVR password is used to 'Activate' the camera.
So I'm wondering if not all the PoE channels have the same camera password configured, and if you have re-connected the cameras in a different order from how they were connected originally.

Do the problem cameras have firmware that's older than 5.4.5 by any chance?
If so - the password can be extracted by a devious method ...
Yes, they do have firmware older than 5.4.5 but even if i extact the password, how do i enter it? i think i know the password, but i can't find a way to input it.

all cameras were added same time except for one which i added a year later. and i am sure the cameras were all plugged back in different poe than the original setup. i just unplugged them the ethernet and plugged them in randomly after. i didn't think would make a difference.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
all cameras were added same time except for one which i added a year later. and i am sure the cameras were all plugged back in different poe than the original setup. i just unplugged them the ethernet and plugged them in randomly after.
i can't access the cameras that has password error. it doesn't take me to the login page.
I think this may point to the cause of the problem, and the fix for the 3 cameras.
I'm speculating that there is now a mismatch between the IP address that the NVR PoE channel has been configured with to connect to the camera, and the actual IP address of the camera that connected to that channel.

So the fix may be to match them up - either change the camera IP address to match what the NVR expects, or to change the IP address that the NVR expects to find the camera on.

Here is my suggestion, which depends on your assertion that you do know the camera password.
I also connected a LAN to the NVR poe port, and i can see the cameras in SADP
Do this again so that you can see the cameras in SADP.
Write down the IP addresses of all the cameras in the list.
Pick the first of the problem channels in the NVR's camera configuration screen that doesn't give you a login screen via Virtual Host.
Remember what channel number you're going to work on.
Note down the IP address that's configured, it will be something like 192.168.254.x
Now you need to find the IP address of the camera that's plugged in to PoE channel you're working on.
SADP doesn't tell you this, it just gives you a randomly-ordered list of what it found.
So the way to find it, and the IP address it has, is to unplug it, refresh SADP, and see which from the list goes away.
Compare the new list shown BY SADP with what you noted down, and identify the IP address of the one that dropped out.
Plug it back in and wait a couple of minutes for it to be listed again in SADP, refresh if necessary.
Now - select the found camera in the SADP list, using the checkbox at the far left.
Change the IP address to match what you noted down for the NVR channel you're fixing.
If the password is OK, the IP address will now be changed, to match what the NVR is configured with and expecting.
Hopefully, the camera will connect, and be accessible in Virtual Host.

Repeat for the other problem channels.

I hope that makes sense. Quite a few steps, but I'm sure you'll manage.
And I hope my speculation on the problem works out.

Reaction score
I think this may point to the cause of the problem, and the fix for the 3 cameras.
I'm speculating that there is now a mismatch between the IP address that the NVR PoE channel has been configured with to connect to the camera, and the actual IP address of the camera that connected to that channel.

So the fix may be to match them up - either change the camera IP address to match what the NVR expects, or to change the IP address that the NVR expects to find the camera on.

Here is my suggestion, which depends on your assertion that you do know the camera password.

Do this again so that you can see the cameras in SADP.
Write down the IP addresses of all the cameras in the list.
Pick the first of the problem channels in the NVR's camera configuration screen that doesn't give you a login screen via Virtual Host.
Remember what channel number you're going to work on.
Note down the IP address that's configured, it will be something like 192.168.254.x
Now you need to find the IP address of the camera that's plugged in to PoE channel you're working on.
SADP doesn't tell you this, it just gives you a randomly-ordered list of what it found.
So the way to find it, and the IP address it has, is to unplug it, refresh SADP, and see which from the list goes away.
Compare the new list shown BY SADP with what you noted down, and identify the IP address of the one that dropped out.
Plug it back in and wait a couple of minutes for it to be listed again in SADP, refresh if necessary.
Now - select the found camera in the SADP list, using the checkbox at the far left.
Change the IP address to match what you noted down for the NVR channel you're fixing.
If the password is OK, the IP address will now be changed, to match what the NVR is configured with and expecting.
Hopefully, the camera will connect, and be accessible in Virtual Host.

Repeat for the other problem channels.

I hope that makes sense. Quite a few steps, but I'm sure you'll manage.
And I hope my speculation on the problem works out.

thanks for your detailed guide. so i basically changed the ip on SADP to what it should be in NVR's camera config, and no dice. The video still doesn't show up. I know the password is correct when i change the IP because it says "Parameters modification complete"
I also used a wrong password to see what it would say, and it said "Device Rejected", so this tells me my password is working. SO when i change the IP, the video still doesn't show up... i know which NVR ip belongs to which SADP IP.. when i remove and see it being gone from the SADP list.. once i change the IP it still says password error.

Attachments

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
i know which NVR ip belongs to which SADP IP.. when i remove and see it being gone from the SADP list.
Your screenshot is interesting. Did you take it after the changes?

In the SADP found list, camera IP addresses for numbers 003 (192.168.254.9), 005 (192.168.265.12) do not match any of the channel IP addresses in the NVR channel configuration.
This mismatch means they won't connect.

Number 006 (192.168.254.16) does show in the NVR channel configuration.
This could still be a mismatch if the camera is not plugged in to channel D06

By the way - you don't need to obscure the IP address of the NVR - it's not sensitive, it's a standard private IP address, not your public internet address.

Reaction score
Your screenshot is interesting. Did you take it after the changes?

In the SADP found list, camera IP addresses for numbers 003 (192.168.254.9), 005 (192.168.265.12) do not match any of the channel IP addresses in the NVR channel configuration.
This mismatch means they won't connect.

Number 006 (192.168.254.16) does show in the NVR channel configuration.
This could still be a mismatch if the camera is not plugged in to channel D06

By the way - you don't need to obscure the IP address of the NVR - it's not sensitive, it's a standard private IP address, not your public internet address.
This was taken before the changes. I only changed the .16 then took the screenshot. Before changing it to .16, the IP was like 192.168.254.18. However, affter doing the unplug and refresh, i know the following:

NVR Camera D02 matches with SADP 006
NVR Camera D05 matches with SADP 003
NVR Camera D06 matches with SADP 005

i know this because when i unplugged D02, the IP address that in SADP 006 was gone from the list.. but yah i changed all the IP to what it should be and nothing loads.. it still tells me Offline (User password error)

i'm not sure what else can be the issue.. what else can i try?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
it still tells me Offline (User password error)
OK - as you seem to have sorted out the IP address matching, which also confirms you know the camera password, something else to now try, though there is no obvious reason why you'd need to do this except that the NVR is complaining about the password :

In the NVR web GUI camera configuration page, select a problem channel.
Use the Modify button to change the mode to Manual from Plug&Play, and replace the password with the one that you know for the camera.
Click OK.

Reaction score
OK - as you seem to have sorted out the IP address matching, which also confirms you know the camera password, something else to now try, though there is no obvious reason why you'd need to do this except that the NVR is complaining about the password :

In the NVR web GUI camera configuration page, select a problem channel.
Use the Modify button to change the mode to Manual from Plug&Play, and replace the password with the one that you know for the camera.
Click OK.
OMG you are a life saver. yes! it worked when i switched to manual and entered the password... this is so weird why it would work like this.. but ALL cameras working. anyway to fix the plug and play issue.. i mean does it matter that i's manul VS plug and play?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
i mean does it matter that i's manul VS plug and play?
That doesn't really matter unless you plug in a new 'Inactive' camera, in which case the NVR won't try to take control of it and 'Activate' it.
If so, you can change it back.

The problem appears to have been two-fold, but triggered by the cameras being reconnected differently from how they were.
The IP addresses on some didn't match what the NVR was configured to use.
And the password the NVR was configured to use was different from that used by the camera.

Anyway - you got there, which is good!