I love BI, but the database is terrible

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have clips for all of my cameras that go back all the way to 5/23/18, but for some reason my alerts (the ones viewed along the right side of the console), only go back to 6/26/18 for all of my cameras.

I have rebuilt the database, regenerated, etc and nothing changed. It's impossible that my clips that are older than 6/26/18 don't have any alerts within them.

Anyone else ever notice this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have clips for all of my cameras that go back all the way to 5/23/18, but for some reason my alerts (the ones viewed along the right side of the console), only go back to 6/26/18 for all of my cameras.

I have rebuilt the database, regenerated, etc and nothing changed. It's impossible that my clips that are older than 6/26/18 don't have any alerts within them.

Anyone else ever notice this?
That's because you have the alert folder in clips and archiving set to 7 days....it regulates the alerts in the database even though the folder only stores files if you select high res images

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I watched the video, thanks for that. Here is a screenshot of my Clips and Archiving setup.

I don't use Alert images at all, so there should be no limit on the number of Alerts that get flagged in my individual clip files. My Alerts directory is always empty, intentionally.

Is there any other function of BI that controls Alerts in the database?

Attachments

JonW

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had this happen just recently on one of my BI computers as well. I had to click the stop-light button to stop all recording and then rebuild the database. Once it was finished I started the recording back up. It's been running now for about a week and a half without issue. I believe there were 70,000 clips so it took a while to rebuild the database.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had this happen just recently on one of my BI computers as well. I had to click the stop-light button to stop all recording and then rebuild the database. Once it was finished I started the recording back up. It's been running now for about a week and a half without issue. I believe there were 70,000 clips so it took a while to rebuild the database.
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it and it did not work.

For all of my cameras, the oldest alerts are from 6/26, and I have clips that are weeks older than that, so something is up.

I explored an image I took from my hard drive the BI database is on from the beginning of June, and found this:

The left view is the current view, with the clips.dat database file near 623,xxx KB in size. The right view is the explored image from the beginning of June where the clips.dat file is way bigger at 2,679,xxx KB. So, it looks like I lost a lot of alert clips somewhere, for some reason. I have no idea why as I have changed nothing, other than updating BI when there updates available.

I wonder if I can just replace the smaller clips.dat file with the larger one to get all of my alerts back (and repair the database, of course)?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you deleted the database all your alerts are lost.... This could also have occurred during a repair...

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you deleted the database all your alerts are lost.... This could also have occurred during a repair...
Why would I delete the database? On July 1st, I happen to notice a ton of alerts where missing and I started my investigation. The only database maintenance that happens is what is scheduled to happen at 2 am each morning.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would I delete the database? On July 1st, I happen to notice a ton of alerts where missing and I started my investigation. The only database maintenance that happens is what is scheduled to happen at 2 am each morning.
There are many reasons people delete the database... It is a troubleshooting step...