I made a better remote-live-view page [OLD]

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, not sure if it has been mentioned as of yet, but I think there is a bug with respect to using the keyboard arrow keys to navigate the clip playlist and some of my cameras that have pan and tilt ability. Seems that if I am navigating the clip list with up and down arrows that when I am viewing a clip of one of the pan tilt cameras, when I go past that clip with the keyboard it also moves the live camera either up or down. This doesn't make much difference to me since I rarely use the arrows to navigate the clip list but thought I would let it be known.
Ack. Verified. Will fix in the next update.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"needed"? I do not understand.
A bad choice of words on my part: definitely not "needed" rather -- IMO -- the presentation of the icons in the top portion of the current ui2 layout could look better. The ui2 functionality is beyond superb, however the layout is a tad fugly...IMO. I'll try to find the time to prepare a mock-up with a different group of icons and you can decide to either change the layout or tell me to fuQ off. Or you could save me a bunch of time and tell me to fuQ off now! smiley9.gif

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A bad choice of words on my part: definitely not "needed" rather -- IMO -- the presentation of the icons in the top portion of the current ui2 layout could look better. The ui2 functionality is beyond superb, however the layout is a tad fugly...IMO. I'll try to find the time to prepare a mock-up with a different group of icons and you can decide to either change the layout or tell me to fuQ off. Or you could save me a bunch of time and tell me to fuQ off now! View attachment 7991
As long as it looks better and isn't a pain in the ass for me then I'll certainly consider your changes.

tom95521

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe hotkeys to cycle between cameras when single camera is displayed (to avoid having to click and select other camera in multi camera view).

Thanks,
Tom

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a mockup of an idea for a redesigned BRLV interface...with a few new "Server Status" features too...

BI_Mockup.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a mockup of an idea for a redesigned BRLV interface...with a few new "Server Status" features too...

View attachment 8008
Q, that is so much more than I was expecting. I like what you have designed. But a change of this scale warrants a full rewrite, not just a reskinning of UI2. I wish I had the time and motivation to build it. (maybe I'll make the time, lol).

A few comments:

• This looks so clean and simple!
  • Blue Iris doesn't say anything about how much memory is available, or how much is used by other applications. Maybe Ken would be willing to add such information if requested though. Otherwise the MEM bar would only be able to show BI's usage in MB/GB. Also not sure about the DISK usage since that disk usage string often has negative numbers and I don't understand it.
  • Where would PTZ preset buttons go?
  • What would the Alerts/Clips tabs look like? What happens to the PTZ controls when not on a PTZ camera, or when on Alerts/Clips(grey them out but leave them there?)?
  • What would be the purpose of the "Layout" button? I don't have any control over the camera layout if that is what you had in mind.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe hotkeys to cycle between cameras when single camera is displayed (to avoid having to click and select other camera in multi camera view).

Thanks,
Tom
This would be possible, but I don't think hotkey navigation would be very convenient on a system with a lot of cameras... partly because there is an unavoidable lag while you wait for the next image to load, and it would just feel unresponsive. Thanks for the suggestion though.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Q, that is so much more than I was expecting. I like what you have designed. But a change of this scale warrants a full rewrite, not just a reskinning of UI2. I wish I had the time and motivation to build it. (maybe I'll make the time, lol).

A few comments:

• This looks so clean and simple!
  • Blue Iris doesn't say anything about how much memory is available, or how much is used by other applications. Maybe Ken would be willing to add such information if requested though. Otherwise the MEM bar would only be able to show BI's usage in MB/GB.I was thinking this could be a user defined value in the settings somewhere. The bar would calculate 100% based on how much memory the user inputs. Also not sure about the DISK usage since that disk usage string often has negative numbers and I don't understand it.Here I was thinking that if the number was a negative that the bar would show 100% and be red in color. If I am not mistaken, when BI shows a negative then the disk has more stored on it that allocated in the BI Settings.
  • Where would PTZ preset buttons go? Whoops, I completely forgot to add this feature. I can add it to the left panel above the PTZ controls.
  • What would the Alerts/Clips tabs look like? I will mock these up on Monday and get them posted here. What happens to the PTZ controls when not on a PTZ camera, or when on Alerts/Clips(grey them out but leave them there?)? You can grey them out if you want, but currently you don't do that in UI2 and I think that is okay too.
  • What would be the purpose of the "Layout" button? I don't have any control over the camera layout if that is what you had in mind. I realize the current implementation in UI2 doesn't allow for custom layout, but what about using an iframe to display the image of each camera independently. I thought perhaps if you call each camera on its own as full screen from BI and insert it into an iframe of its own would allow custom layouts. If this is possible then I have an idea for how to give the user some control of how the screens are laid out. If this is for certain not possible then that's alright too.
Thank you for the compliments there BP2008. I was the one who designed the mockup and Q posted it for us all to see. I went ahead and answered your questions in the reply above. I would be ecstatic if you took on the work needed to make this for us all.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the compliments there BP2008. I was the one who designed the mockup and Q posted it for us all to see. I went ahead and answered your questions in the reply above. I would be ecstatic if you took on the work needed to make this for us all.
Ah, well it is very good work! Looks like the stuff that paid UI designers would come up with. What about those icons you used in the mockup? Are those available for use in full resolution (I like to use graphics that are 2x the normal display resolution, so they look good on high DPI displays)?

I will mock these up on Monday and get them posted here.
I'd love to see it.

You can grey them out if you want, but currently you don't do that in UI2 and I think that is okay too.
As you know, in UI2 these elements disappear when they are not applicable. I don't really like how this rearranges the layout though. Items don't always remain in a predictable position.

I realize the current implementation in UI2 doesn't allow for custom layout, but what about using an iframe to display the image of each camera independently. I thought perhaps if you call each camera on its own as full screen from BI and insert it into an iframe of its own would allow custom layouts. If this is possible then I have an idea for how to give the user some control of how the screens are laid out. If this is for certain not possible then that's alright too.
I once had a page set up to do this, years ago, but it is a lot more complex and it can't maintain good frame rates because a browser will only make up to 6 concurrent connections with any given host and I don't think that iframes let you work around this limitation. My Java app has no such limitation though, and works that way, so I am quite aware of the benefits :)

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...I would be ecstatic if you took on the work needed to make this for us all.
I believe that everyone would would be ecstatic Rupp! :)

How about everyone antes up $25.00 to make ol' BP feel some pressure to code it!

I'm in! $25 buckeroonies commin' at you from Q™ Beep!

Keep the dough even iof you don't code it BP...and feel the love bro!

https://www.paypal.me/bp2008

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Update uploaded, adding a few recently requested features.

<-- To use this context menu, hold the left mouse button down for a second. Sorry if it doesn't work on touchscreens.

v0.9.8 - 2016-01-30
+ Added a flag icon to clips that are flagged.
+ Added a context menu item to clips that lets you flag a clip.
+ Added a context menu to clips that initiates a file download of the clip.
+ Added a "Take Snapshot" context menu item that has Blue Iris save a snapshot from the selected camera.
* Fixed a bug where PTZ buttons could take effect on a PTZ camera while a recording from it is being viewed.

As always, the update is available in the first post of this thread. https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/93-I-made-a-better-remote-live-view-page

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What about those icons you used in the mockup? Are those available for use in full resolution?
I made all the icons in Illustrator when I did the mockup and could easily put them out in SVG files or any icon size that is needed... that is the easy part ;)

As you know, in UI2 these elements disappear when they are not applicable. I don't really like how this rearranges the layout though. Items don't always remain in a predictable position.
I think the grey out part would make sense in this case. By doing it this way the UI elements don't have to come and go depending on the UI state. Ill get the missing control into the mockup come Monday.

I once had a page set up to do this, years ago, but it is a lot more complex and it can't maintain good frame rates because a browser will only make up to 6 concurrent connections with any given host and I don't think that iframes let you work around this limitation. My Java app has no such limitation though, and works that way, so I am quite aware of the benefits :)
It really is a shame that there isn't a way that provides a little better layout control for the All Camera view. In my particular case, I have 5 cameras in my BI setup that are of varying resolutions. When they are displayed in UI2 there is so much wasted space because there is no special control given to make any of the cameras bigger/smaller.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It really is a shame that there isn't a way that provides a little better layout control for the All Camera view. In my particular case, I have 5 cameras in my BI setup that are of varying resolutions. When they are displayed in UI2 there is so much wasted space because there is no special control given to make any of the cameras bigger/smaller.
Blue Iris does let you change the resolution of the group streams, and between that and being able to drag the cameras around in Blue Iris itself, you can probably get them to lay out more efficiently.

- - - Updated - - -

I made all the icons in Illustrator when I did the mockup and could easily put them out in SVG files or any icon size that is needed... that is the easy part ;)
SVGs are nice. I know my way around inkscape.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris does let you change the resolution of the group streams, and between that and being able to drag the cameras around in Blue Iris itself, you can probably get them to lay out more efficiently.
Brilliant!!! That worked to use the screen real estate SO much better.

Reaction score
Update uploaded, adding a few recently requested features.
I'm a new BlueIris user, and I've just run across your UI2 enhancements. Downloaded the ZIP package you apparently just uploaded earlier this evening, unzipped it into my BI 'www' subfolder, then went to my BI webview URL and tried to login... and it's busted. I think you forgot to include one or more files in your ZIP package, and/or you introduced a login bug someplace.

*** EDIT ***
Nevermind, apparently I needed to go to http://myserver/ui2.htm rather than just http://myserver/ui2. Now it's working. Sweet!

Last edited by a moderator:

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Made some changes to the Live View screen with the addition of PTZ Control and a zoom in/out on the top dial.

BI_Mockup(2).png

Here is the Alerts tab mocked up. Might need some thought into how to filter flagged events now that you have added this capability. Also, I have to think about auto play feature and where that will go. Currently I think auto play should be a toggle on the left panel perhaps, but still thinking about it.

BI_Mockup(3).png

Let me know what you all think.