I made a better remote-live-view page [OLD]

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a screenshot of our UI2.htm - the camera clips to the left only show the short name, and the main window gets so small you can't read the date (which is fine)... How can we label the cameras with the full name? I was hoping a little box could bound each image and show the full camera name... is that a possibility?

View attachment 8293
Cool, that is a lot of cameras. But I am not sure exactly what you mean about labeling the cameras with the full name. You mean you want UI2 to overlay the camera name over every camera in the "All cameras" view? Or maybe you want it only to appear over the cam when you mouse over it? Can you make a simple mockup of what you mean? Maybe I can help.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
given a bazillion cam views on the screen, clicking on the interesting one makes it fill the screen, right?

and if you have "Automatically list clips from current live camera" enabled,
surveillance40.png
it's pretty obvious which cam that is...

Without it, i can see how one might say 'which cam is that?"

Perhaps that clip list change could be driven by a mouse-over instead of a click?

Last edited by a moderator:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Or, notice that simply right-clicking and holding on a cam view brings up a menu with the cam name on it...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps that clip list change could be driven by a mouse-over instead of a click?
Nah, the clip list loading takes too much time, and besides that, it would be annoying. The name of the camera does appear in the little "Current Camera" menu at the top though, once you click on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Or, notice that simply right-clicking and holding on a cam view brings up a menu with the cam name on it...
You mean left-clicking and holding.

gleep52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The conflict here is that when two people are talking over the phone and they want to say "click on front entrance" - no one knows what camera that is. It's not hard to identify the cameras by clicking - it's just hard to say from an eagle eye perspective which camera is which... I'll do a real quick makeshift mockup thing and post it here in a few.

gleep52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is a unorganized mock-up... The names don't match the cameras obviously, but I wanted to illustrate it would be NICE (though not needed) to have the color coding of the camera be the border or title frame color... OR perhaps just the font color, but that doesn't look like it will play well (see mock-up). Some black fonts look better on different colored bars and some white look better... Is there a way to use white on dark title bars and black on light title bars without much complication?

Alternatively, maybe just a nice (very) dark grey title bar color with a white font?

mockup.jpg

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Notice how the clip list already uses a light or dark font as needed for the background color, so I don't think it will be a problem making the text legible. However given how many cameras you are running it may be better to label them by row and column (realizing of course that sometimes cameras do not line up into neat columns) so that along the top row you have A1, A2, A3, etc, and the next row could be B1,B2,B3 and so on. I just think that would make it easier to locate a cam when someone says "look at D3" instead of "look at cafeteria doorway" or whatever. If I give you nameplates, you can probably do whatever you need to make it readable. Anyway the important thing is I like this idea, and I will see about implementing it in a new update. I will make it possible to show the camera short name or the full name (or both), and it will be togglable as an option but disabled by default as I figure most people won't need it. But for a situation like yours with so many cameras I can see how it could be really useful.

Rice

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Notice how the clip list already uses a light or dark font as needed for the background color, so I don't think it will be a problem making the text legible. However given how many cameras you are running it may be better to label them by row and column (realizing of course that sometimes cameras do not line up into neat columns) so that along the top row you have A1, A2, A3, etc, and the next row could be B1,B2,B3 and so on. I just think that would make it easier to locate a cam when someone says "look at D3" instead of "look at cafeteria doorway" or whatever. If I give you nameplates, you can probably do whatever you need to make it readable. Anyway the important thing is I like this idea, and I will see about implementing it in a new update. I will make it possible to show the camera short name or the full name (or both), and it will be togglable as an option but disabled by default as I figure most people won't need it. But for a situation like yours with so many cameras I can see how it could be really useful.

Why not...
Have a hot key, so under normal running conditions, you will maximise what you see with a camera view (as you have currently), unimpeded by a label.
However, when you need to know what the camera name is, you press a Hot Key and this will overlay, in large text, over All the camera windows...?
Let go of the hot Key, and the original camera display returns.
Rice

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I just uploaded a new update.

v0.10.0 - 2016-02-13
+ Added camera name labels, disabled by default. See the new "Camera Labels" section in settings, and the new hotkey CTRL + L.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to offset the camera labels so they do not overlap any camera video, you need to add vertical space to the group frame size, here in Blue Iris. Add enough so that you can offset the labels to fit in the black space above or below each row of cameras.

gleep52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good gosh man - did you forget to sleep or something? Sheesh that was QUICK. I can't wait to try this out!!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
i turned it on. nice job! can't figure out how to space the images further apart in BI console UI so i can move the camera name overlay up out of the cam picture tho...
Where do i 'increase vertical resolution of group images' ? thanx.

update. found it (see images)

25007118855_5cba33cf77_o.png24913834611_757cd31442_o.png

i didn't realize you can edit the resolutions directly in addiiton to picking from list.
bumped up the vertical from 480 to 520 and got some spacing in the Web layout.

gleep52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow yeah this is absolutely awesome. I never knew the frame size option existed either...

Pozzello - use the options in the UI2 settings for the Y-Offset to move the labels.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah, i knew about moving the labells in the web UI, but moving them up just put them into the image above until i increased the spacing in BI.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow yeah this is absolutely awesome. I never knew the frame size option existed either...

Pozzello - use the options in the UI2 settings for the Y-Offset to move the labels.
yeah, i knew about moving the labells in the web UI, but moving them up just put them into the image above until i increased the spacing in BI.
i turned it on. nice job! can't figure out how to space the images further apart in BI console UI so i can move the camera name overlay up out of the cam picture tho...
Where do i 'increase vertical resolution of group images' ? thanx.

update. found it (see images)

View attachment 8299View attachment 8300

i didn't realize you can edit the resolutions directly in addiiton to picking from list.
bumped up the vertical from 480 to 520 and got some spacing in the Web layout.
Funny enough I posted a picture showing where to find that, moments after posting about this update, and I've posted that picture about a dozen times in the past, yet people still miss the existence of the frame size option. Maybe I should make ui2 auto-detect when a group frame size is significantly smaller than the browser window, and pop up a link to instructions on how to make the frame size bigger. What do you think? I only worry that such a message could be annoying for users who can't or don't want to change the frame size. After all, a bigger frame size can make the group view frame rate lower. But it can also make the image quality so much better that it is often worth the tradeoff.

Rodger3876

n3wb
Reaction score
Great work. I have a question? With the new Camera Labels,(Love this latest up date). After enabling the option all works fine until I log out & close web page. After opening again & log in I have to enable Labels again? What em I missing to save setting?

Rodger

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Great work. I have a question? With the new Camera Labels,(Love this latest up date). After enabling the option all works fine until I log out & close web page. After opening again & log in I have to enable Labels again? What em I missing to save setting?

Rodger
It should be remembered, as the flag saying whether it is enabled or not is saved in the browser like any other setting.

gleep52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Rodger - I can close/logout/etc and my labels are still on next time I log in... I'm using Chrome.

gleep52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a way to get multi-camera recorded playback? See all the cameras in one group and playback recorded video for all those cameras, like the blue iris console can do?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way to get multi-camera recorded playback? See all the cameras in one group and playback recorded video for all those cameras, like the blue iris console can do?
Not at this time. While it is not entirely outside the realm of possibility, I do not believe the frame rates I could achieve would be acceptable. Once you see this feature appear in the official Android or iOS apps, then I should be able to do something.