I made a better remote-live-view page [OLD]

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@bp2008, do you have any idea what is causing the playback of clips (not alerts) to not be current? For example, some clips, if I scrub all the way to the end, stop hours behind current time - despite there being current active recording.

I've found this to be the case in both UI2 and the stock default.htm pages. I suspect it has something to do with the database on the server - but it's quite frustrating.

Alerts seem to have the most recent data. But, if I have alerts turned on for every camera, the clips.dat file on the server gets so large and unwieldy after a week or so, that the clip/alert lists take forever to populate. Restarting the server fixes this until the alert list gets too long again. So, I keep the alert function turned off on most cameras. That means I have to scrub the clips to find things.

So when my 3yo boy beats on his 15mo sister in the hall, and I want to replay what happened, in most cases if I go to the most current clip and scrub to the end, I find that it stops at, say 8am, when it's actually noon. I then have to go to the console on the BI machine, restart the service, and then it'll catch up to current. By then, of course, both kids have forgotten what happened and it's too late to apply any discipline. First world problems, I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Request/idea followup: I posted a related idea before in this post about arrow keys to scroll through cameras while in live view mode. I didn't realize arrow keys controlled PTZ.

I'd like a simple (Mac-friendly...no page up/dn) way to advance to the next camera's live view. If I'm in live view on camera 1, press ENTER (or whatever button) will take me to live view of camera 2. another press, camera 3.
Added to my to-do list. Arrow keys could still do it if you were to rebind your hotkeys for PTZ, or if you didn't have any PTZ cameras :) Every one of UI2's hotkeys can be configured to any keyboard key.

@bp2008, do you have any idea what is causing the playback of clips (not alerts) to not be current? For example, some clips, if I scrub all the way to the end, stop hours behind current time - despite there being current active recording.
The only thing I can think of is that if you loaded the page (or refreshed the clip list, in UI2) hours before, then you would only be able to view clips up to that point. I don't know how it is working with the activex plugin on default.htm, but in UI2 anyway when the clip list loads, Blue Iris tells UI2 how long each clip is. Clips that are still in progress are reported at their current length. If this is the problem then reloading the page should be all you need to do. If you actually have to restart Blue Iris then it seems like a worse problem. Something with Blue Iris itself. How long are each of your clips? Maybe you should try having them cut more often?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
How long are each of your clips? Maybe you should try having them cut more often?
That might be the problem... I have mine set to 24 hours, or 4GB max. Refreshing the page doesn't work. I'll sometimes jump from UI2 to default.html just to make sure, but they both stop at the same point. I sent an email to Ken about it yesterday, but figured I'd run it past you for ideas...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Another feature request? :rolleyes:

When the cursor is over the scrub bar/time line, turning the scroll wheel will advance/rewind the video accordingly. Perhaps have an option to define how many frames/seconds each scroll interval is? Or have it be proportional to the currently selected play speed... So if 8x is selected as play speed, then the scroll wheel would move the video a larger jump per tick?

It would be neat to be able to move the scrubber with the wheel. I tend to drift off the timeline when I'm click/dragging it, which makes it stop...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Another feature request? :rolleyes:

When the cursor is over the scrub bar/time line, turning the scroll wheel will advance/rewind the video accordingly. Perhaps have an option to define how many frames/seconds each scroll interval is? Or have it be proportional to the currently selected play speed... So if 8x is selected as play speed, then the scroll wheel would move the video a larger jump per tick?

It would be neat to be able to move the scrubber with the wheel. I tend to drift off the timeline when I'm click/dragging it, which makes it stop...
I put this on my list. After some testing I think the bug which makes the dragging stop is triggered when you mouse onto the top bar from below, or mouse off of the browser window. I will also try to fix that.

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This only modifies the web-based viewer, right? Absolutely no Blue Iris software is being modified? Does this also work for the latest version of Blue Iris?

Also, if we want to go back, how do we do it? Should we just backup the www folder before hand, and then replace those files if we want to revert?

Thanks.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This only modifies the web-based viewer, right? Absolutely no Blue Iris software is being modified? Does this also work for the latest version of Blue Iris?

Also, if we want to go back, how do we do it? Should we just backup the www folder before hand, and then replace those files if we want to revert?

Thanks.
Yes, only the web instance for UI2 is being modified, not your BI server.

And yes, make a copy of the www folder and move it somewhere "safe" as a backup. Modify anything you want and if you need to revert just replace the current www folder with your copied backup and you'll be back to as it is now.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My files modify very little. The default login page is modified to add "remember me" and "log in automatically" options, and I included a dark version of the nothumb.jpg file which is shown if a clip or alert is missing its thumbnail. Beyond that, my files only add new web pages which you can load, leaving the old web pages such as default.htm and jpegpull.htm intact.

If you want to revert later, there are several methods. Backing up the www folder first is certainly an option, though it would become outdated if Blue Iris changes anything in there. You can always download the latest Blue Iris installer and install again, maybe deleting the www directory first to make sure all the additional files are removed. Doing this shouldn't wipe your settings, but just in case, you can "Export settings" on the Blue Iris Options > About tab before you reinstall.

It also used to be that Blue Iris updates would replace the modified login.htm page with the original, but that stopped happening ages ago and I am thinking it might be that the login.htm page has not been modified officially since the release of Blue Iris 4 which would explain why the update files do not appear to include a copy.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm a bit embarrassed to ask given how long I've been using UI2, but... Is there a setting that will allow it to cycle individual cameras on full screen? Something like the 'auto-cycle' feature in the BI app or default.htm? My kids run all over the house and sometimes trying to find/follow them on a large matrix view of 30 cameras is difficult. It would be nice to have the active/recording screen pop up as they explore.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a bit embarrassed to ask given how long I've been using UI2, but... Is there a setting that will allow it to cycle individual cameras on full screen? Something like the 'auto-cycle' feature in the BI app or default.htm? My kids run all over the house and sometimes trying to find/follow them on a large matrix view of 30 cameras is difficult. It would be nice to have the active/recording screen pop up as they explore.
Any cycle modes you have enabled in BI should appear in this dropdown list:

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure how to add the ui2.htm entry.
Dumb question, but do we make this URL modification within the BI mobile app or is this intended to be for use with just a mobile browser page?

After copying all of the files into the www folder and restarting BI:
I tried opening a browser page to:
http://my WAN addresss/ui2.htm:<my custom port number>

But just got a 404 message. Just FYI, the standard BI mobile app works fine.

skarragallagher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The port goes after the wan address not the page.

It's not for the app, just browser

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay...so, I'm trying this on both my phone and PC.
http://public_IP/ui2.htm:8443 (this is normally URL formatting - port number at the end)

First thing....it automatically migrates me to a secure https connection. After that, I just get a 404 message. Happens on both the phone and the PC.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
put the colon+port after the host name, not after the path, like so: http://<your-ip>:8443/ui2.htm

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay...tried it. No go.
Should I need to make any modifications to the Web Server tab in BI?

If I use a browser on my phone like this:
http://IP_address:1234
It brings me to a BI login page. Something about the ui2.htm setup isn't working.

skarragallagher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try to pay attention. See the examples others have posted. You need to put in the /ui2.htm at the end otherwise you will just get the stock blue Iris web interface

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
skarr: I am paying attention.
I've tried half a dozen times on different browsers on my phone to navigate to:
http://public_IP:1234/ui2.htm

It's just bringing me to what I believe is the BI login screen. Comparing the screen for the original login.htm to the new one, it *is* showing the new one.
I log in and....I'm in.

But, it really doesn't look anything like this:
http://i.imgur.com/5Cszd3y.png

Even though I only have two cameras. I only see an aqua colored background with the two camera live views...and above that, a drop down to select a camera and a hyperlink in the top left labeled "Goto Archive" and another hyperlink labeled "Print" down at the bottom. Is this right?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@ck42 - have you tried logging in and seeing if you redirect to UI2? You are suppose to login if you have set that up in you BI server. Just try logging in and see.

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ruppmeister: Sorry...edited my last comment apparently while you were replying.

I can login now, but not sure if I'm seeing exactly what I should be seeing. See my description in the previous entry for what I'm looking at now.