I made the Reolink mistake

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Also its a waste of time to comment on his or other videos. Any Youtube content creator can hide your Youtube account from the comments. So the only one who see the comments are you and the creator.

There are MANY creators who hide the truth and people gets trapped again and again. Many creators are on a network and pay people to clean their comment sections .. there are companies who are using really good scripts for auto remove.

Phe0nix

n3wb
Reaction score
I hate not to post this information, but it may help others. ReoLink has put a bad taste in my mouth . For the members who are stuck with the iFrame settings set by ReoLink , they state that you can now change the iFrame settings so compatibility mode may not be needed on the following models.

RLC-810A
RLC-811A
RLC-820A

good luck.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hate not to post this information, but it may help others. ReoLink has put a bad taste in my mouth . For the members who are stuck with the iFrame settings set by ReoLink , they state that you can now change the iFrame settings so compatibility mode may not be needed on the following models.

RLC-810A
RLC-811A
RLC-820A

good luck.
Thanks @Phe0nix

It has taken many years for this .. and in the past they've not been fully honest on the iFrame issue - so we'll have to wait and see if Reolink really fixed it

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LOL - their images are highly manipulated and go through a lot of algorithm processing to give them a clean static image.

The same thing that can give the Reo's a decent image during the day (and I have seen some reo pic comparisons where digital zoom is better than some other cameras digital zoom), but that clean static image comes at a cost during motion. As a result, when you get something like this where a moving object is close in color to the background, it is cancelling it out as noise.

Let's face it, the average general public consumer purchases cameras based on the static image, not the motion. And some consumer grade cameras have exploited that tendency very well.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
LOL - their images are highly manipulated and go through a lot of algorithm processing to give them a clean static image.
i think all this is somehow connected with the iframe interval. there must be a reason why they dont want that you change it.

the footage is from a 820A , they uploaded it onto the amazon product page. its only fullhd but its enough. hedgehogs are fast but the problem is only on the dark ground... so i think its not only a shutter problem.

looking to the reviews on the amazon page, there are many people who say that the quality of the camera is awful... they say that even the old 510 has a better picture. sad that they dont post some samples what they mean. there seems more problems with this model. maybe the dev team tunes too much in the firmware.. also some people claim that there are problems with synology... reolink claims in the description that its fully compatible ... so it seems not only blueiris ;)

Last edited:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score

cannot be unseen...

"It doesn't work at all for me. It starts out ok but then the fps and keyframe rate jumps all over the place and the camera randomly disconnects and reconnects.
I also get a lot of "Setup -22 for 'hevc' 3840x2160 00000140010c01ff ff21600000030000 0300000300000300 96ac090000014201 0121600000030000 0300000300000300 96a001e020021c7f 8aad3ba24bb20000 014401c072f08904 070e3648" error messages after updating to the new firmware.
BI Support gave me this link when I asked about the setup -22 errors: Reolink Gotchas - Blue Iris
I had to roll back to older firmware."

not sure if the poster is right, because seems he is using h265 ... but...

THEY ALREADY REMOVED IT FROM THEIR WEBSITE...

nice reolink :D adding firmware without testing... lol

Last edited:

CAL7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
v.494 re-appeared at the Reolink download center last week (and this time has stuck). Has anyone verified it properly sets the iframe interval?
Screenshot_20210831-074443.jpg

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
It is getting worser

Seems that they finally removed the ability to adjust shutter/gain in newer firmwares and replaced it with more bullshit adjustment "highlights / shadows" ...
This must be nr.3 of the screenshit from @CAL7 above

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW, but not surprised.

Typical consumer grade cameras catering to the unknowing consumer chasing that nice bright static image without many false triggers.

They play a great marketing game and for the uninformed consumer (which is a big market), they play to them very well. And then those same consumers just accept that the night video is poor.

The average consumer is led to believe that all of these types of cameras will suffer with poor video at night. I cannot tell you how many Nextdoor posts I see where someone posts a crappy video at night and people all just jump on saying how we just have to accept that the night quality will be poor.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW, but not surprised.

Typical consumer grade cameras catering to the unknowing consumer chasing that nice bright static image without many false triggers.

They play a great marketing game and for the uninformed consumer (which is a big market), they play to them very well. And then those same consumers just accept that the night video is poor.

The average consumer is led to believe that all of these types of cameras will suffer with poor video at night. I cannot tell you how many Nextdoor posts I see where someone posts a crappy video at night and people all just jump on saying how we just have to accept that the night quality will be poor.
And then others extoll the virtues of their Wyze, Arlo, Ring, Nest crap.
I gave up trying to sway anyone on Nextdoor.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, those same folks complain about their internet service being poor. But when asked where did YOU have the ISP install the modem/router?
"In the utility room between the spare fridge and the washing machine, which is at the far end of the house, away from the bedrooms and living area. I didn't want to see the thing! But their service is terrible. :confused:
Oh and I have 5 nest wifi cams as well."

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, those same folks complain about their internet service being poor. But when asked where did YOU have the ISP install the modem/router?
In the utility room between the spare fridge and the washing machine, which is at the far end of the house, away from the bedrooms and living area. I did'n't want to see the thing! But their service is terrible. :confused:
Oh and I have 5 nest wifi cams as well.
I wired up the home to critical locations, so no worries about connectivity ;)

lol .. all those people who think WiFi is so great .. I mostly use WiFi for mobile devices

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Reolink heared about dahuas dual lens camera, so they go and build their OWN dual lens (yes somehow dual lens , more booby) camera...

its more a panoramic function...
look how perfectly aligned it is...

seems that most customers want more FOV and 2,8mm is not enough !

wider.jpg

clearer.jpg

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
seems that most customers want more FOV and 2,8mm is not enough !
Yes customers do. The unsuspecting consumer wants less cameras. "Hey honey check out this camera - we only need to get two cameras instead of 4 to see the whole neighborhood".

And then they suffer with not being able to IDENTIFY anything.

Many of us have been there LOL. I started out with a 4camera box kit "look I can see the whole neighborhood" but it was useless to IDENTIFY a stranger. Sure I could tell when it was my neighbors walking by and it is crazy how much our mind can fill in the missing pieces, but based on clothing, body type, walking style, hair, etc. we can recognize people we know at a distance with a wide angle, but it is useless for a stranger.

Consumer grade camera sellers recognize that the average Joe wants wide angle and then have managed to infiltrate peoples minds that poor night video is simply an accepted fact of security cameras.

It is not until someone stumbles across a site like this that we realize that Yes you can get great night video and that you need to get the right camera for the area you are trying to get coverage of.

Thus most of us have more than a camera on each corner of the house LOL.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
When I’ve posted on Nextdoor quite a few people have asked what cams I have, when I reply 2Mp Dahua some then dismiss the cams as it’s only 2Mp others can’t believe how good the footage is.

I’ve even had somebody on HotUKDeals call any cam below 5Mp as “potato cams”, the main problem with these types of comments are that many will then follow the crusade for more Mp.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is amazing how many people will listen to and accept the advice of everything they read on the internet and then when presented with something like an 8MP camera image at night compared to a 2MP camera image at night where both are on the same size sensor and it is obvious which one is better, they still go down the more MP is better route because that is what they saw on the internet...has society lost all ability to make their own informed decision when presented all the facts?

My neighbors are the same way and cannot believe my 2MP is kicking their 4k camera butts at night. One got smart and actually replaced a couple of his 4k cameras with 2MP cameras I have.

Look at the recent thread where someone was asking what was better higher MP that you can digital zoom or lower MP with higher mm lens and I provided examples and I think people still prefer the 4MP lol...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.has society lost all ability to make their own informed decision when presented all the facts?

Yep, they don't' want facts, they want easy and for someone else to do it for them.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve even had somebody on HotUKDeals call any cam below 5Mp as “potato cams”
All sites from Pepper.com are spammed with reolink... there must be a connection to reolink.. its unbelievable.
the "deals" are no real deals because reolink is only selled through amazon and there is ALWAYS a discount ... no one pays normal price for reolink LOL

digiblur

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Amcrest/Dahua has been king for me in my comparison tests/videos. Reolink is fine for a throw in a system for someone with a hardware NVR and forget about it but that's about it. It falls on its face once you start using other things such as BI and/or Frigate.