I need a POE camera whose software allows for privacy setting on phone app for my tenants

SoCalIP

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's my dilemma and I'm hoping you all can help.
I am installing a POE system at a rental house.
I want my tenants to be able to set the backyard camera to private temporarily. I don't want them to feel like they are being watched when they BBQ, etc.
(Of course I would be able to set it back if they forget.)
It seems several of the consumer grade, non-POE systems have this option, but I'm looking for the unicorn that is POE AND has a privacy option from a cell phone app.
So far I'm having no luck finding one.
Would you all share any ideas from your experience?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's my dilemma and I'm hoping you all can help.
I am installing a POE system at a rental house.
I want my tenants to be able to set the backyard camera to private temporarily. I don't want them to feel like they are being watched when they BBQ, etc.
(Of course I would be able to set it back if they forget.)
It seems several of the consumer grade, non-POE systems have this option, but I'm looking for the unicorn that is POE AND has a privacy option from a cell phone app.
So far I'm having no luck finding one.
Would you all share any ideas from your experience?
If you have the ability to disable the privacy option then they need to trust that you wont do it and snoop on them. If that is the case why wont they just trust that you wont snoop on them regardless.

A cheap low tech way to do this is use a cheap poe switch or poe injector with the camera then connect that switch to a wifi plug (like tp link kasa or similar), they can then push the button the plug to disable and you can remotely enable it. You could also for example set it to automatically turn on every morning at 2am that way if both of you forget to turn it back on, it will do so automatically.

SoCalIP

n3wb
Reaction score
If you have the ability to disable the privacy option then they need to trust that you wont do it and snoop on them. If that is the case why wont they just trust that you wont snoop on them regardless.

A cheap low tech way to do this is use a cheap poe switch or poe injector with the camera then connect that switch to a wifi plug (like tp link kasa or similar), they can then push the button the plug to disable and you can remotely enable it. You could also for example set it to automatically turn on every morning at 2am that way if both of you forget to turn it back on, it will do so automatically.
Good point. Yes, it's problematic because there are no fences on the property so the back door is a security problem. I like your suggestion for the plug. I'd need to get 2 switches - 1 for the backyard camera and 1 for the other cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good point. Yes, it's problematic because there are no fences on the property so the back door is a security problem. I like your suggestion for the plug. I'd need to get 2 switches - 1 for the backyard camera and 1 for the other cameras.
Switches are cheap or you can simply use a poe injector. Also note that the camera does not provide security unless you are using it for real time alerts or sound warning.
The should have a high quality lock properly installed to resist kick in as well as an alarm system.