I need advice if one CPU is really better than the other for BI.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I may be needing to switch my BI to another computer. I have an i7 7700, and an i5 8500. All the reviews and such, show the newer 8500 to be as fast, if not faster overall than the older 7700. I don't know how it all plays into BI though.
Has anyone used the 8500 with any success? I was just wondering what user experience has been. Thanks for your help.

TBurt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I may be needing to switch my BI to another computer. I have an i7 7700, and an i5 8500. All the reviews and such, show the newer 8500 to be as fast, if not faster overall than the older 7700. I don't know how it all plays into BI though.
Has anyone used the 8500 with any success? I was just wondering what user experience has been. Thanks for your help.
My vote would be the I5 8500. 6 cores without hyperthreading are going to be better overall than 4 cores with hyperthreading. Hyperthreading can make something like from -5% to +20% speed difference depending on the work/threads the CPU core is working on. But two real cores running two more full threads is the way to go IMHO. The boost speeds are just about the same (4.1 vs 4.2). The base speed is better on the I7 if you go by the documentation Intel put out. But when has Intel told the truth about base/boost speeds, TDP, etc, etc?

In the end, either processor will run BI without issue if you set it up correctly. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference with either one. If it was someone else asking I would say go with the cheaper of the two. But you already have them both...

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is there a way to copy my setting from my old computer that has BI and everything setup on it to the new computer, without having to go through the whole entire process of setting up 9 cameras again?

Would you use a GPU for running Deepstack, or is the CPU just fine? It already has a GPU in it, but I have taken it out.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
i7-7700 CPU Mark: 8619
i5-8500 CPU Mark: 9612

Given the choice between those two, I would pick the i5-8500.

To copy settings, go to Blue Iris Settings > About tab > Export settings.

Then make sure you have your license key saved somewhere and click Deactivate so you will be able to activate the license on the new machine.

Then on the new system, import the settings.

Then activate using your license key.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
This...
My vote would be the I5 8500...
But this...
In the end, either processor will run BI without issue if you set it up correctly. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference with either one.
Practically probably won't see much if any difference with both set up well other than maybe a few percentage in CPU. Since you already have it running would be interesting to see the before and after.

Yes, you can export and import your settings. I've not used it but think GPU version of Deep Stack requires an Nvidia processor.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Note you can only run BI patches that are older than your support expiration date. This can be an issue if you want to fresh install on a system after your support has expired (in that case you need to find the installer you used originally).

Practically probably won't see much if any difference with both set up well other than maybe a few percentage in CPU. Since you already have it running would be interesting to see the before and after.
In theory the i7-7700 would appear to use less CPU for the same workload if under 50%, but after 50% the CPU load would rise more quickly because it is really getting into the "hyperthread" virtual cores that are less capable. Ultimately the 7700 would likely max out just a little bit before the 8500 would.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i7-7700 CPU Mark: 8619
i5-8500 CPU Mark: 9612

Given the choice between those two, I would pick the i5-8500.

To copy settings, go to Blue Iris Settings > About tab > Export settings.

Then make sure you have your license key saved somewhere and click Deactivate so you will be able to activate the license on the new machine.

Then on the new system, import the settings.

Then activate using your license key.
Wow, sounds easy enough. I have not had to do this before, so I wasn't sure.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Note you can only run BI patches that are older than your support expiration date. This can be an issue if you want to fresh install on a system after your support has expired (in that case you need to find the installer you used originally).
I guess I'm a little confused on this. What are you trying to say? Does this have anything to do with the export of settings? My support does not expire for another 11 months, but I"m on a yearly renewal.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
No, you're good. Doesn't affect export/import. He was just letting you know that your ability to access updates ends with expiration of support. You're good there too with near a year left for yours.