I need help configuring wireless networks.

Dave

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind. The antennas are relatively cheap but so are those ubiquiti radios. The range extender I have is pretty fancy. Its my understanding that it can act as kind of an access point where one frequency band sends data to the router and the other band to my cameras. That should eliminate that problem if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong tho. My knowledge is pretty limited when it comes to serious networking.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That does sound promising. If the repeater retransmits on a separate channel that could make it run at full speed, or near full speed, depending on whether the two channels overlap at all.

Dave

n3wb
Reaction score
It does. I'm setting it up right this moment. As far as I know, its the only extender out there that does that. I'll use the 5ghz band to talk to the router and the 2.4 ghz band for the cameras. Since both the router and extender have dual core processors I might just have enough to run all these cameras. I'll probably need to get something from ubiquiti because the main building is a century old and has been added onto several times. Concrete walls and all sorts of nonsense.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The processors have almost nothing to do with the speed they will handle except in cases where it is gigabit wired ethernet.

Remember Ubiquiti won't get your signal through walls much better than anything else; you still need clear line of sight, which means drilling holes and running cables so you can have the radios be on the exterior.