I think I broke my IP cam

edv

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, today I got a new IP WIFI Camera, connected it, everything was okay, and when I changed IP camera IP address to my static IP address, and it is bugged right now, cant connect to IP Camera settings, everytime I put "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" ip to browser I'm always getting my router settings. All day long trying to find solution, but I just cant. How to change camera IP address without connecting to settings? But I guess its over for this camera:D sorry for bad English.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I changed IP camera IP address to my static IP address
What exactly did you change it to?
What is the IP address of the router / gateway on your LAN?
everytime I put "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX"
What EXACTLY did you use in the browser? No need to obscure it if it's a private address.
Have you tried pinging the camera at the new address and old address and what was the result?
Have you tried wiring the camera to a port on your router / switch, and checking your router for 'Connected devices'?

edv

n3wb
Reaction score
I just changed default IP camera IP address, from 192.168.1.136 to my whatsmyip org address, and now when I'm trying to put this new IP address to browser to watch it live im getting only my router settings, it is duplicating. Yes I was trying to ping it via cmd, old 192.168.1.136 IP CAMERA address was not found, and my whatsmyip org address is working with ping. Here is what I see in my router port settings.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I just changed default IP camera IP address, from 192.168.1.136 to my whatsmyip org address
Do you realise that your "whatsmyip org" IP address is actually your router external address?
And there is no way that you can have a camera on the LAN that has an IP address equal to your ISP service public IP address ("whatsmyip org" address).

It might be best if you explain what you are trying to achieve.

A suggestion to possibly recover the camera:
Do you have a spare switch or router? Something that you could plug the camera into and the PC into, and nothing else connected?
If so - change the PC IP address to be just 1 different from the address you used for the camera, on the rightmost digit.
Try to access the camera via the browser with your "whatsmyip org" address.
If that works - put the camera IP address back the way it was.
If no spare switch or router - you could try a direct cable connection between camera and PC.

Good luck ...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have assigned your public IP address to the camera (never do this, LOL), then it will be a little bit tricky getting in to it.

What subnet mask did you use? Just the default of 255.255.255.0? If so, then you can get in to the camera by assigning your PC temporarily an address in the same range. Lets pretend that you set your camera to 172.16.1.40. You could assign your PC 172.16.1.41. With any luck, this should allow your browser to reach your camera again so you can change the IP address back to an address in your actual LAN's subnet. You may still end up reaching your router when you do this. If so, disconnect the internet from the router and reboot the router. The router will no longer think that public address belongs to it, so it should be able to allow the network traffic to reach the camera.

When done, restore your PC to DHCP mode.

edv

n3wb
Reaction score
yes when Im trying to access the camera via browser with my whatsmyip org address im getting router settings, i was trying to connect camera with USB to my pc, computer cant find it, will try it again right now. Bad thing it is that my ip camera have not reset button:D maybe changing router ip address will fix it, but I dont know:\ even my IP camera LAN finder apps cant find it now! :\

edv

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes my subnet mask is 255 255 255 0, still I cant reach my camera settings with changing last number :\ or maybe I just cant understand your post :\\

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
still I cant reach my camera settings with changing last number
Setting your PC IP address to that changed last number.
Are you still reaching your router?
And accessing the camera with the original number -
when the spare switch / router has nothing else connected
or if you don't have a spare, when your normal router has the internet cable disconnected and has been rebooted
or when the PC and camera are directly connected.

edv

n3wb
Reaction score
hell this is too hard to understand for me guys:D okay, this is my "whatsmyip" IP address <redacted> , and my default IP camera IP address was 192.168.1.136 , what I have to do now ? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
educate your self on networking.. your not going to have any luck w/your current level of making up crap and hoping its going to work.

if its too hard to understand, and your unwilling to take the efforts required to understand.. pay someone to do this for you.

edv

n3wb
Reaction score
okay I guess this place is only for proffesionals, no newbies here! right?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your not a newbie, your an illiterate.. People have explained what you need to do, and you either cant comprehend it or read it..

a basic understanding of networking is a requirement for using network cameras.. We'll help those whom help them selves, hence the advice to go educate your self.. but were not building up your knowledge from scorched earth.. there is no point if you dont show the initiative to learn on your own.

Do you have any grandkids or know anyone in Kaunas, Lithuania who knows how to setup a computer network?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Step 1) Unplug internet from router.
Step 2) Reboot router (unplug it from power, plug power back in, wait 2 minutes)
Step 3) Change your PC's IP address to static, and assign it the address <redacted>
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/
Step 4) Access camera by entering <redacted> into the browser.
Step 5) Change camera's address back to some unused address from your local network (192.168.1.X?) just make sure the address you assign is not in use by anything else and is NOT in the range of addresses your router will assign with DHCP. If this is all too complicated, just tell the camera to use DHCP and not use a static address at all.
Step 6) Change your PC's IP address to DHCP again like it used to be.
Step 7) Plug internet back in to your router. Should be no need to reboot it, just wait a few minutes.

Step 8) Access your camera by VPN only, because you have posted your public IP address on a forum and if you port forward to your camera, it will probably get hacked.

Last edited:
Reactions: edv

vasycara

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
your not a newbie, your an illiterate.. People have explained what you need to do, and you either cant comprehend it or read it..

a basic understanding of networking is a requirement for using network cameras.. We'll help those whom help them selves, hence the advice to go educate your self.. but were not building up your knowledge from scorched earth.. there is no point if you dont show the initiative to learn on your own.

Do you have any grandkids or know anyone in Kaunas, Lithuania who knows how to setup a computer network?
If you can help it better, if not, not comment, not all are " Network Engineer " like you, but you can not help anyone just stupid comments.

edv

n3wb
Reaction score
bp2008thank you my man! works!:)))) THANK YOU AGAIN!
now going to try port forwarding !:D