i3 processor performance?

korin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All the recommendations I've seen say that for best results, get an i5 or i7 CPU with QuickSync. I have a surplus i3-3220 @3.30GHz with Quicksync. Would it be worth trying to use this for 8-10 cameras in Blue Iris?

Reaction score
Try this as a baseline: bp2008 has a website that captures performance stats for Blue Iris users that willingly publish their specs using his BI Update Helper app. Those stats can be filtered/searched here: Blue Iris Update Helper

I entered your proposed CPU in the "CPU Model" search box: i3-3220 and found another BI user with this CPU in a system, so you can compare to your configuration.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Memory: 4GB
Cameras: 5
MP/s: 105.1 MP/s (a measure of total frame rate and resolution which is more useful than just # cameras)
Total Camera MP: 5.1 MP (so approximately five 1MP cameras)
Total FPS: 104 FPS (so approximately 20 FPS per camera)
Memory Used by BI: 672.3 MB
CPU Usage (Overall): 56%
CPU Usage (Blue Iris): 44%

My guess is you won't have enough horsepower for 8, and definitely not for 10 cameras without significant concessions on frame rate, megapixels or running without the console. You might gain enough additional performance running BI as a service without the user interface open, and ensuring your configuration supports QuickSync -- as this reference system they have the Console open (burning CPU cycles) and HW Acceleration appears to be disabled for some reason (maybe they have a graphic card or I'm interpreting this wrongly).

According to the same site an i5-3570K, with 11-15 cameras and more than TRIPLE the MP/s, with the console closed show 20-40% CPU and with the console open is over 70% CPU.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The number of cams is irrelevant...the resolution and fps is what will mater

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you click any row in the usage data table you can see more details. The configuration for that i3-3220 was not well-optimized at all.

Note that 3/5 of the cameras don't have direct to disk enabled, FPS > 15 on most, and hardware acceleration wasn't enabled. i3 is basically half of an i7. I'd say you could probably get 10x 2MP cameras going at 15 FPS (300 MP/s) without too much issue.