I5-2500 vs I5-6500

Jason442

n3wb
Reaction score
My i5-2500 sandy bridge blue iris PC is showing its age and I thought about upgrading to a i5-6500 system. I run 7 duhua 1080 ipcams. Would I see much improvement in terms of performance?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My i5-2500 sandy bridge blue iris PC is showing its age and I thought about upgrading to a i5-6500 system. I run 7 duhua 1080 ipcams. Would I see much improvement in terms of performance?
Your load is really low so either of those systems can easily run it... What specific issue are you having on your current system?

Jason442

n3wb
Reaction score
Your load is really low so either of those systems can easily run it... What specific issue are you having on your current system?
I think I'm more paranoid than anything. The CPU is at a constant 65 %. Recording is motion activation. If the system is strapped, am going to miss frames or is there going to be delays in detecting motion and/ or Recording? When I remote desktop in, the computer is painfully slow.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I'm more paranoid than anything. The CPU is at a constant 65 %. Recording is motion activation. If the system is strapped, am going to miss frames or is there going to be delays in detecting motion and/ or Recording? When I remote desktop in, the computer is painfully slow.
The system should not be anywhere near 65 percent.
What frame rates are you using? set each camera to 15 or less in the camera settings.
Are you using an SSD for the OS, BI and the database?

Jason442

n3wb
Reaction score
The system should not be anywhere near 65 percent.
What frame rates are you using? set each camera to 15 or less in the camera settings.
Are you using an SSD for the OS, BI and the database?
All cameras are at 15fps. Video compression set to direct to disc. OS is on SSD, but looks like BI db is on mechanical HD.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All cameras are at 15fps. Video compression set to direct to disc. OS is on SSD, but looks like BI db is on mechanical HD.
Do you have direct to disk enabled?
move the database to the ssd.
How are you checking cpu consumption? are you looking at a local monitor or logged in remotely?

Jason442

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have direct to disk enabled?
move the database to the ssd.
How are you checking cpu consumption? are you looking at a local monitor or logged in remotely?
Direct disc is enabled. CPU usage monitored through BI web page. CPU usage is realistically probably closer to 50% roger that on moving the db to ssd

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Direct disc is enabled. CPU usage monitored through BI web page. CPU usage is realistically probably closer to 50% roger that on moving the db to ssd
sorry I meant to say hardware acceleration.