I7-6700, can it run new house set up?

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I’m going to be moving into my new house in a couple months and wanted to verify while I had time to find a replacement if needed to run my new system.

system is follows:
Reolink hardwired doorbell - 5MP
3 - Amcrest indoor (going to be hardwired) - 4MP
7 - IPC-T5442T-ZE - 4 MP
3 - IPC-T5442TM-AS (3.6mm) - 4 MP

Thank you in advance

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
People run 50 cameras on a 4th gen just fine LOL.

The 6th gen would still be a highly recommended computer here except it cannot run Win11 (at the moment anyway).

So if you have that computer sitting around it will be more than capable.

If you are buying, unless you get it cheap, go with an i5-8500 or newer so it can be updated to Win11 at some point.

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
People run 50 cameras on a 4th gen just fine LOL.

The 6th gen would still be a highly recommended computer here except it cannot run Win11 (at the moment anyway).

So if you have that computer sitting around it will be more than capable.

If you are buying, unless you get it cheap, go with an i5-8500 or newer so it can be updated to Win11 at some point.
I do have it running my current system, does upgrading to windows 11 worth it? I can get an optiplex for ~160 and just swap my stuff into that chassis.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is up to you. Many here plan to keep Win10 going as their system is isolated from the Internet. Heck some are even running it on Win7.

As far as functionality of BI you will not see an improvement with Win11 and while many people have upgraded fine, others have had issues.

So unless you wanna fork out $160 now, I'd say run this one until it can't run anymore LOL.

SodFather09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your not going it already, you should be using sub streams and main stream for recording. Also direct to disk ect.. there are tons of things you can do to BI to reduce cpu see wiki . One of my machines is running a 2nd gen i5 with 8 4mp camera at 15fps cpu is sitting around 13%

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your not going it already, you should be using sub streams and main stream for recording. Also direct to disk ect.. there are tons of things you can do to BI to reduce cpu see wiki . One of my machines is running a 2nd gen i5 with 8 4mp camera at 15fps cpu is sitting around 13%
I am doing all of this. However, I looked at the CPU compute from the Wiki, and the i7-6700 was <10,000, so I was interested to see what others thought with real-world experience running on different hardware.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am doing all of this. However, I looked at the CPU compute from the Wiki, and the i7-6700 was <10,000, so I was interested to see what others thought with real-world experience running on different hardware.
i7-6700 .. if buying a used PC now, I would start with the 8th gen .. seems a better value proposition unless you're super tight on budget

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm thinking about sticking with what I have and off loading some of the other things I have it running to another computer or NUC.