i7 8700k vs i7 9700

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
RAM speed likely will make very little difference, but I am aware of nobody who has performed scientific tests to find out.

If I am building a machine I prefer to fill all the channels (typically dual channel, so two sticks inserted into the correct slots as per the motherboard manual).

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As above I found memory utilisation around 50% max with BI Consile running and open with all cams on screen using 8gb RAM

If you have the budget then as @bp2008 says fill it up as you wish.

But

If you dont have much budget to spare I would prioritize disk space or a ssd for OS and BI db if the machine does not have one.

I record 24/7 with 9 cams 6 2mp, 1 720p & 2 3mp and I get approx 5 days of footage with a 4TB purple drive
2 2mp cameras are indoor so only record at night or whilst at work.

I've another 4TB purple to put in the system but just debating whether to keep that in the nvr I also run and purchase a larger purple drive for the BI machine.

I'm aiming for 14 days footage when all said and done and the system is fully complete and tweaked

Tro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, I have an old micro server N36L with 12tb in a raid - suits my personal storage/back-up needs
I also have 1 TB drive (from old BI PC) for the PC, I only record triggers (and 3 seconds before) - however only 2 cameras set up to give alerts (clones)
So I capture everything that goes past but only Alerts on my property

The RAM speed is obviously something I can deal with later as deals pop up I guess!

Tro

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, I have an old micro server N36L with 12tb in a raid - suits my personal storage/back-up needs
I also have 1 TB drive (from old BI PC) for the PC, I only record triggers (and 3 seconds before) - however only 2 cameras set up to give alerts (clones)
So I capture everything that goes past but only Alerts on my property

The RAM speed is obviously something I can deal with later as deals pop up I guess!

Tro
That would personally be what I did
Wait for a killer deal.
Maybe prime day or ebay 20% days and jump on something decent

Reaction score
It works out to some nanoseconds difference in RAM speed timing, you'd be far better off just getting 16GB of cheap memory than 8GB of super high speed memory and risking having Windows swap stuff to disk.

That being said, my BI machine has 16GB and uses less than 5GB (seems really mem efficient), so you'd need more going on than me to get much benefit over 8GB.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thankfully RAM prices have come down, been seeing some good deals on 16GB kits ( 2x 8GB )