idea for front door cam: hikvision cube + liquipel

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I really want the hik cube near our front door but worried about wind-driven rain getting to it in that location. I may paint it (would like for it to be more inconspicuous) and then send it off to this company for waterproofing: www.liquipel.com

Seems like they are geared towards waterproofing phones but just read somewhere they'll do just about anything for $60-100.

Anyone see anything wrong with this plan? I've also considered carefully using some silicon around all joints in the housing and then painting and hoping for the best.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I really want the hik cube near our front door but worried about wind-driven rain getting to it in that location. I may paint it (would like for it to be more inconspicuous) and then send it off to this company for waterproofing: www.liquipel.com

Seems like they are geared towards waterproofing phones but just read somewhere they'll do just about anything for $60-100.

Anyone see anything wrong with this plan? I've also considered carefully using some silicon around all joints in the housing and then painting and hoping for the best.
I would not spend that kind of money...If its covered you should be fine...If you are using the 2432 because it has a speaker, consider the 2532-IS and get an external speaker (you will have to run separate power though)

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did like the thought of recording sound w/ the cube and also hacking things until I could get BI to use the PIR sensor, but this dome is a good idea for an alternative if I can live without that stuff. Thanks a lot fenderman

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oops, I see I can record audio w/ the 2532, sorry. I see on amazon where people have had trouble w/ the audio on this but I might try my luck on aliexpress. Thanks again

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oops, I see I can record audio w/ the 2532, sorry. I see on amazon where people have had trouble w/ the audio on this but I might try my luck on aliexpress. Thanks again
There was a batch of bad cameras that had audio issues...i think they were resolved...if you want to play safe you can buy via amazon for easy returns..
Nellys and LTS carry the 2532IS as well.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow. Awesome to know. I was about to hit the pay now button on ali. I'll try amazon. fenderman you are the man.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. Awesome to know. I was about to hit the pay now button on ali. I'll try amazon. fenderman you are the man.
Make sure you are not paying too much on Amazon.. Otherwise you are better off with a US region camera from Nellys or lts..

Sent via Taptalk

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks paarlberg. that audio is awesome. definitely looking forward to this now. I'm going to paint the housing to match the brick on the house.

fenderman, I got it on amazon for 190 or so. It was on ali for 154 but with my luck w/ gadgets lately (everything I order lately has a prob), I'm better off getting through Amazon.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks paarlberg. that audio is awesome. definitely looking forward to this now. I'm going to paint the housing to match the brick on the house.

fenderman, I got it on amazon for 190 or so. It was on ali for 154 but with my luck w/ gadgets lately (everything I order lately has a prob), I'm better off getting through Amazon.
That is kind of high since the camera is likely a china region...LTS has them for 179 with a three year warranty.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, probably should have shopped more. Oh well.

I'm thinking through my mounting on this thing now. I need it flush on a brick wall, don't want a junction box, and don't want to drill a hole the size of all of those connectors. 1 hole the size of standard cat5 would be awesome. My thought is to chop the unneeded connectors and the supplied cat5 termination point, fish it through the wall (though I'm worried it won't reach other side, will have to figure that out), then re-connect on other side using the wiring info on this post: http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=7692.0

Does this sound doable or is there a better way? Wish I could just plug my own cat5 directly into the back of this thing and not use their breakout cables.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, probably should have shopped more. Oh well.

I'm thinking through my mounting on this thing now. I need it flush on a brick wall, don't want a junction box, and don't want to drill a hole the size of all of those connectors. 1 hole the size of standard cat5 would be awesome. My thought is to chop the unneeded connectors and the supplied cat5 termination point, fish it through the wall (though I'm worried it won't reach other side, will have to figure that out), then re-connect on other side using the wiring info on this post: http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=7692.0

Does this sound doable or is there a better way? Wish I could just plug my own cat5 directly into the back of this thing and not use their breakout cables.
You only need to make a hole the size of the largest connector, then push them in one at a time..but it will work if you cut it off..
Here is a different schematic by hikvision http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2857-DS-2CD2532F-Pinout-or-color-of-Ethernet-wires-required?highlight=pinout

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for that diagram. I wired it up completely backwards the first time (the ethernet on the cam side). Didn't work, found my mistake and fixed, but now it's getting power but nothing over ethernet. You think I fried it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that diagram. I wired it up completely backwards the first time (the ethernet on the cam side). Didn't work, found my mistake and fixed, but now it's getting power but nothing over ethernet. You think I fried it?
I doubt it...how do you know there is nothing over ethernet? have you looked for it via sadp? did you test it before you cut it?

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok that is a relief. I tested before I cut and it worked great. Tried SADP and ran Fing from my phone (fing found it before I cut it). Might cut one more time and use a keystone jack on the camera side so I can be 100% sure each wire is going where it should go (though it looks correct from what I can see in ethernet adapter I crimped on there).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok that is a relief. I tested before I cut and it worked great. Tried SADP and ran Fing from my phone (fing found it before I cut it). Might cut one more time and use a keystone jack on the camera side so I can be 100% sure each wire is going where it should go (though it looks correct from what I can see in ethernet adapter I crimped on there).
You can try the schematic on camit..that seamed to work for the user there. Its different than the hikvision bulletin..

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I tried w/ keystone. Followed the bulletin for the Value Series and then tried the cam-it one. No go on either. Might try the wiring from the bulletin on the pro series because I don't have much to lose at this point. Makes a killer looking dummy camera for the moment, though.

Edit: Nevermind. I see the pro series wiring diagram includes a different wires so I won't be trying that.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Had an idea on this. I might try wireless since the thing seems to be getting power (the IR lights come on). If that works, then I'll know something has to be up with the cabling (maybe I loosened a connection on the inside).