Ideal record configuration for video

sacherel

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the ideal recording video configuration (storage and encoding) you would recommend one to use so that the cpu usage on the server is kept to a minimum? I have 5 1080p cameras Poe using the Xvid codec and my Xeon cpu is at 99%.
Thank you in advance.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
why the hell are you using xvid? anyhow, just save direct to disk in whatever format the camera is providing... there is no reason to transcode it to another format, at best your going to loose quality doing this.

If your cameras are 1080p there likely using x264 encoding, and thats much better than xvid.. so your transcoding it from a really good codec into a pretty crappy codec.

I have 4 1080p cameras recording direct to disk on a 1.2Ghz Linux Arm computer, cpu load is under 10%

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the ideal recording video configuration (storage and encoding) you would recommend one to use so that the cpu usage on the server is kept to a minimum? I have 5 1080p cameras Poe using the Xvid codec and my Xeon cpu is at 99%.
Thank you in advance.
Use BVR (blue iris dvr) and direct to disk recording. This will significantly lower cpu consumption.

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, maybe it should be enabled by default.
At first I was wondering why my load was so high, then after reading here in the forums I enabled direct-to-disc. That had a HUGE impact.

My server is headless, so minimizing the BI app also reduces consumption

sacherel

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I switched it to the direct to disk and that dropped the country usage from 99 to 85%.
I am curious on the settings you all have to have cup usage at 10-15%? My cameras are running at 20 fps, did you drop that down? Also my cameras only record on trigger and not continuous.

Thank you in advance

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I switched it to the direct to disk and that dropped the country usage from 99 to 85%.
I am curious on the settings you all have to have cup usage at 10-15%? My cameras are running at 20 fps, did you drop that down? Also my cameras only record on trigger and not continuous.

Thank you in advance
CPU consumption percentage will depend on the number of MP streaming to blue iris and your cpu. FPS does somewhat affect that number as well. So first, what is the exact model of the xeon you are using? Did you set direct to disk for each of your cameras?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Max Quality @ 15FPS, Recoding 24/7/365.. I am basically doing little more than saving a network stream to disk.. If your letting BI do motion recording thats going to take some resources.

sacherel

n3wb
Reaction score
Wanted to provide an update. Usage increased back to 99% even with the direct to disc.

What I did then was to reduce all cameras to 10fps, no frame buffer and set the machine to best performance only. This machine is dedicated to BI and is a quad core Xeon 1225v3 running at 3.2Ghz. Cup usage over the past 3 days is 97%. Recording is trigger based and I have 5 1080p cameras.

My guess this is best I can do, any ideas to reduce cpu utilization?

sacherel

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi running version 3. I tried version 4 and cpu utilization is around the same

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the most recent version solved a bunch of high CPU load issues for me, I have 5 HikVision 2332's running 1080p at 20fps, doing motion only based recording, not using object detect/reject and I average 65%+ on an i7. What other apps are installed/running? Anti Virus software shouldn't be running at all, turn off windows defender, etc..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you adjust the frame rate in the camera itself and and set the frame rate in BI higher than the camera.. Something is not right with those numbers , use the bvr format for testing..

Sent via Taptalk

MrCourtney

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you are running anti-virus software, make sure it isn't trying to read the streams. Blueiris.exe needs to be in your exceptions list.
Read the HELP files on anti-virus for more info.

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Make sure you adjust the frame rate in the camera itself and and set the frame rate in BI higher than the camera.. Something is not right with those numbers , use the bvr format for testing..

Sent via Taptalk
What is the purpose of setting the BI FR higher than the cam settings?