If I have security cameras, do I still need a Ring Doorbell?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Ring doorbell, but do I really need it, if I install a wedge camera?
There is a way, to have two way communication with somebody in front of the door?

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately, you really need it. There are several threads here on two way audio (doesn't work). Keep in mind, that the Ring Pro has a tinny little speaker, so it is not very loud. I have one, and am also keeping an eye out for something better, and no $3/mo for cloud storage (only option).

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm afraid of this, that after having all these security cameras, I still need the doorbell camera as well. No to the storage, I have the security cameras that record everything. I don't even have wires for the doorbell. I will be running wires for that as well, together with the Ethernet cable at the same time, when I will install the wedge camera.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Ring doorbell, but do I really need it, if I install a wedge camera?
There is a way, to have two way communication with somebody in front of the door?
Hi Tibimakai,

The doorbell products are something different than a security camera - they are basically video intercom systems - which have some security camera features added to them.

Personally having a security camera covering my front door is required due to my experiences - and a video intercom system is a nice to have addition.

You don't need a Ring product, in fact I would recommend NOT getting a cloud based doorbell product.

Why? Because they are designed to make a successful round trip to their cloud servers before doing anything for you... so this last Halloween Ring experienced a MAJOR OUTAGE - numerous customer reported that their chimes would not work when trick-or-treaters where attempting to ring the doorbell - while they were at home.

SO - because of that I would avoid Ring and other cloud based products and instead look at other doorbell intercom products.

Nelly's just posted here about their version being available, and there's a good number of discussions here on other video intercom products from Dahua as well.
NEW 1080P Wifi Video Doorbell!

nosnoop

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not buying into the "need" for 2 way audio at all. Maybe I'm missing something but I have no desire to talk to someone from my phone if I'm not there. What do you talk about?
Also, aren't you telling that person that nobody is home, feel free to kick the door down. IDK, I just don't get it.

The whole point of answering the doorbell in real time is to give the impression that your ARE home - tell the person that you are busy and cannot come to the door, or not interested in whatever excuses they came up with on ringing your door.
So yes, the 2 way audio is the main reason I installed Ring. Plus the camera has a much better chance of capturing the face of the person as it sits at chest level instead of my camera at the ceiling.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you all, I have already picked one Ring Pro up, from CL brand new sealed, for $150 and I'm in the process of installing it. I had to cut the wall for a box, run electricity into it from the sensor light.n
I did not have a wired doorbell, just wireless. It actually works with my existing doorbell as well. The only disadvantage is, that It seems that I will have to use a transformer, for the inside doorbell unit as well.
It used to run on batteries.
I'm installing a transformer inside the box. I'm using, one of those one gang blue plastic boxes. I will be placing a silver colored blank metal cover over it, and I will install the camera, on top of that cover.
I won't be using the cloud storage, because I have my own security system.
Above it, I will install the wedge camera anyway.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i have the Ring Pro and a mini dome above the door and a U starlight for the driveway leading to the door. If i were honest, the Ring is 4x as useful as the other two, especially for my wife who works from home, who gets alerts when people approach the door, and can decide to ignore it, answer it via the app, or stop working ad answer it in person. It is the first camera type i would recommend to most people. I am happy with having the three that i have now, and will be adding a fourth to capture another angle when i am away. 99% of human activity is at my front door, so i want to capture it. Having a good video intercom system is a big first step. I just wish they were a little bit better.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The whole point of answering the doorbell in real time is to give the impression that your ARE home - tell the person that you are busy and cannot come to the door, or not interested in whatever excuses they came up with on ringing your door.
That may be the point, but background noise can reveal that you are not home.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you all, I have already picked one Ring Pro up, from CL brand new sealed, for $150 and I'm in the process of installing it. I had to cut the wall for a box, run electricity into it from the sensor light.n
I did not have a wired doorbell, just wireless. It actually works with my existing doorbell as well. The only disadvantage is, that It seems that I will have to use a transformer, for the inside doorbell unit as well.
It used to run on batteries.
I'm installing a transformer inside the box. I'm using, one of those one gang blue plastic boxes. I will be placing a silver colored blank metal cover over it, and I will install the camera, on top of that cover.
I won't be using the cloud storage, because I have my own security system.
Above it, I will install the wedge camera anyway.
Can you post pics when you get it installed?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Here it is. It is not a perfect installation, but it will do for a while. I'm planning to repaint the house in the next couple of months, so I will be blending it in, even better than.
I have just purchased this house, last year.

Attachments

Last edited:

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here it is. It is not a perfect installation, but it will do for a while. I'm planning to repaint the house in the next couple of months, so I will be blending it in, even better then.
I have just purchased this house, last year.
Cool I may look into doing something similar but not sure yet.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks good. i recommend playing with the placement of the wedge before drilling holes. I moved mine three times. Unfortunately, i drilled holes each time, although into wood.

docmart

n3wb
Reaction score
i have the Ring Pro and a mini dome above the door and a U starlight for the driveway leading to the door. If i were honest, the Ring is 4x as useful as the other two, especially for my wife who works from home, who gets alerts when people approach the door, and can decide to ignore it, answer it via the app, or stop working ad answer it in person. It is the first camera type i would recommend to most people. I am happy with having the three that i have now, and will be adding a fourth to capture another angle when i am away. 99% of human activity is at my front door, so i want to capture it. Having a good video intercom system is a big first step. I just wish they were a little bit better.

This is the same reason I picked up a ring pro as well. It is much easier for my wife to use. It was too much for her to vpn into the router then open up tinycam. I am in the process of installing a mini dome as well as a starlight for the driveway as well for 24/7 recording. I personally dont like having my recording on the cloud .