If I'm using something like Sighthound, would I still need an SD card in the camera?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Still trying to learn how to put my small system together so I'm sorry for the basic question.

I plan on running 2-3 cameras total and using Sighthound on a dedicated Macbook with a 768GB SSD and 16GB of RAM. Hopefully Sighthound is a good choice for basic camera monitoring with motion detection and iOS app to view from LAN or WAN. Thanks again!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: If I'm using something like Sighthound, would I still need an SD card in the came

Still trying to learn how to put my small system together so I'm sorry for the basic question.

I plan on running 2-3 cameras total and using Sighthound on a dedicated Macbook with a 768GB SSD and 16GB of RAM. Hopefully Sighthound is a good choice for basic camera monitoring with motion detection and iOS app to view from LAN or WAN. Thanks again!
You wont need the sd card...though if your camera support it, you may want to place a card in there to act as a backup..

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Re: If I'm using something like Sighthound, would I still need an SD card in the came

Thanks @fenderman... any thoughts on Sighthound?

Last edited by a moderator:

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I've been using Sighthound for a few weeks now and now that my trial period is over with, will pay for the two camera license. Although the GUI isn't 100% what I'd want it to be (I really would like to have a grid view), the motion detection is very good and the app (iPhone only, no native iPad version) is very nice also.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Thanks for the info @OldStyle... I'm new to all of this so tell me what "grid view" is and why it's a disappointment to not have it. Appreciate it!

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Thanks for the info @OldStyle... I'm new to all of this so tell me what "grid view" is and why it's a disappointment to not have it. Appreciate it!
This is a grid view:

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Sighthound does not have this for some reason (very strange). It will show you on one very large image one camera, and then in smaller image the other cameras. They all are live though. But I would like the basic capability of having a grid view. So for now, Sighthound does all of the recording and motion detection, and I use the Hikvision iVMS-4200 on my desktop just for watching all the cameras.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Thanks for the info, I see what you mean now @OldStyle. So with your setup you use two different software tools. Does the standard Hikvision software suffer with not so great recording and motion detection?

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I would just use it as a backup anyway since SD cards are super cheap.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Thanks for the info, I see what you mean now @OldStyle. So with your setup you use two different software tools. Does the standard Hikvision software suffer with not so great recording and motion detection?
The Sighthound software is top notch when it comes to detecting motion. I like the fact that it's intelligent enough to tell me if it's a human being, for example, and I can be warned if a human has entered my property vs. just a dog or a bird. Their app is very nice also (on the iPhone). Plus it's easy for me to export clips. But yes, until they have a grid view, I'll be running the iVMS-4200. Good thing is, that since the iVMS-4200 isn't doing more than just displaying my cameras, it's not something that really bogs down my PC.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

@OldStyle... appreciate the info! I'm getting closer to finalizing the various components for my system. What a great resource and community we have on this board.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

@OldStyle... appreciate the info! I'm getting closer to finalizing the various components for my system. What a great resource and community we have on this board.
Not a problem. It's definitely a fun hobby, and I'm having fun as I'm learning about all this new technology.

mattm55

n3wb
Reaction score

I bought SightHound and found while it works really well for motion detection, my cameras would drop out (causing green screens) for a few seconds and then come back on. I had 3 cameras on SH and the server was pretty robust. I'm not sure if they ever got that fixed (many complaints)? I would gladly sell my license to someone at a great price if they allowed that.

I have since gone to Milestone (same h/w) and have had great success. It does everything I want it to do.

Just my $.02
Matt

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I bought SightHound and found while it works really well for motion detection, my cameras would drop out (causing green screens) for a few seconds and then come back on. I had 3 cameras on SH and the server was pretty robust. I'm not sure if they ever got that fixed (many complaints)? I would gladly sell my license to someone at a great price if they allowed that.

I have since gone to Milestone (same h/w) and have had great success. It does everything I want it to do.

Just my $.02
Matt
That's good feedback. I actually used Milestone before switching to Sighthound. I could not get Milestone set up right, and mobile viewing never worked. Definitely a more professional software package, and quite a bit more expensive compared to Sighthound. I have been using it for over a month now and have never experienced these "green screens" you speak of. I have 4 720p and 2 1080p cameras running on an older Core 2 Quad computer w/ 8GB of memory.