If you're an installer and your customer won't pay you after the job...

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would absolutely log in and perform a complete reset of the system so that he is forced to call you. NEVER admit to doing it. No one is going to perform a forensic analysis of the machine...if you are worried just log in at a starbucks...
If that doesnt work have your friend take him to small claims...note that in some states if you are not licensed you may have to return any money that the customer paid...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats the problem with some folks...I wouldnt even leave the place without being paid up...If they didnt pay the balance I would just start packing the equipment up...

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I installed a Qsee system that this guy purchased himself for a gas station. I gave him a price to install all 8 cameras, I would supply the siamese instead of that thin premade crap, I would supply the power supply instead of the 8 transformers that they wanted to use, and I would warranty my installation for one year. When we were finished, he asked me to mount a monitor on the wall. He pulled the monitor out of his car. I told him that was not in the price, but I would do it for him. I asked him where the wall mount is and he said he didn't realize he needed one, so he sent his son to PCrichards down the block to buy one. He comes back with a flat wall mount so we install the mount and hang the monitor. He says he needs it to turn so he can see the monitor better. I told him that his son purchased a flat mount and not one with an arm. His son said the one with the arm was too expensive and he will buy one online and install it himself. So, I asked the owner to give me my money and believe it or not, he refused to pay me because he couldn't see the monitor! I explained to him that the monitor wasn't even in the price and I even installed the one that his SON just purchased and I didn't even charge him! He said, no, the job is not finished, and what good is it if he can't see the cameras. I told him that he can see them on his computer AND his phone and the monitor wasn't even part of my deal. Than, he says that I am taking advantage of him and I didn't finish the job. I looked at my helper and I said to him, I will still pay you for the day, don't worry, but start ripping down all the cameras and cutting all the wires. The owner asked me what I'm doing and I said since your not paying me for the work that I did, I'm not going to give you an installation. All of a sudden, he said OK, I will pay you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@vector18 Love it! I notice that in any line of work, its always the folks who you go out of your way to do a bit extra for, that try and screw you over..

Last edited by a moderator:

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@vector18 Love it! I notice that in any line of work, its always the folks who you go out of your way to do a bit extra for, that try and screw you over..
Isn't that the truth... smh.
I think those kind of people tend to be sociopaths... predators with no conscience looking to push their advantage at any perceived weakness.
Many of them do well as politicians or corporate CEOs.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No this "internet" teaches people how to be wannabe businessman AKA bankers. Ridiculous!