Review-I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I tried your suggestion about the vertical intrusion boxes. It does work better but it up and loses me or chops my head off. lol

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@beingaware Watched your videos on youtube. Would you mind sharing what firmware version you're using? I find your image clarity and night color video very nice. Much better than what i'm having with my camera. You wouldn't have a backup of your firmware perhaps? I would like to try to downgrade if that's at all possible.

This was it auto tracking at night in forced colour mode:
Day time:
I assume this was the video you refered to?

Or this one?
I prefer night time in IR mode, auto tracking works a lot better and you can clearly ID people:

Said before to a few people, you really need to get the contrast right for auto tracking to work as well as auto focus.
Too flat and it will struggle, too much and you lose details in blacks.
Some times it's better to crank up the exposure and then correct with contrast, some times it's better to set app/shutter priory and then lessen the brightness.

Each location is different, I've found playing with the picture settings until you get it right is the only way, then test and test again!!!

Re auto tracking detection, I found trip lines to be really hit and miss, better to use vertical appears with + crosses.

Firmware version wise?
Not sure, it would have been the one prior to March.
I'll have a look later and let you know.
Re copy of it, ask @EMPIRETECANDY as I left my camera with the version it came with.

Usual mindset, if it isn't broken, why mess with it? :)

Last edited:

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I tried your suggestion about the vertical intrusion boxes. It does work better but it up and loses me or chops my head off. lol
I'm still learning and testing here as well. Set up three so far. One off site extensively (many hours involved), and two in the garage looking out my windows. Those are easy to play with locally.

It's always a work in progress. Earn as you learn, by trial and error. We will get it. I'm not expecting NASA, Homeland Security, Airport like tracking, just some functionality. I have no regrets so far.

Twin SD59s.JPG

Waiting for the lift to get here to mount to the house. Hopefully this week as I'm NOT going up on an extension ladder.

5796.jpg

SD

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm still learning and testing here as well. Set up three so far. One off site extensively (many hours involved), and two in the garage looking out my windows. Those are easy to play with locally.

It's always a work in progress. Earn as you learn, by trial and error. We will get it. I'm not expecting NASA, Homeland Security, Airport like tracking, just some functionality. I have no regrets so far.

View attachment 17740

Waiting for the lift to get here to mount to the house. Hopefully this week as I'm NOT going up on an extension ladder.

View attachment 17741

SD
Well be safe man. Mine isn't high at all. I could jump and touch it. If someone is breaking in and I get an alert and video before they break in and good Lord what happens next. Well as long as I stop them afterwards I'll be happy.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

View attachment 17740

View attachment 17741

SD
When you mentioned vertical intrusion box
Am I being thick or is it the intrusion rule your on about lol

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well be safe man. Mine isn't high at all. I could jump and touch it. If someone is breaking in and I get an alert and video before they break in and good Lord what happens next. Well as long as I stop them afterwards I'll be happy.
Thanks HD. I feel comfortable in the lift. I'm fortunate enough that my close friend owns the 46' gas version of that Genie lift. I've used it countless times, from cleaning the gutters, to hanging X-Mas lights, to just going up as high as it will go and testing the fear factor. 52' (working height) straight up is pretty scary. Put my wife in it once, and worked the controls from the ground. She was scared s***less. She won't let me do that again! ;)

IMG_0933.JPG

SD

Last edited:

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Shameless repost of a reply i did in the ipc-hwd5231r-z topic;

i did a fresh install of windows 10 on an Intel nuc d54250wyk. No tweaks to OS done, only Blue Iris and Blue Iris Tools running. Added this cam, with the wizard, all default settings. BI is at 100% cpu. Is my nuc too slow or do i have to configure the cam better? Ive read that direct to disk recording helps and hardware decoding. Before i buy a new Nuc, what do you guys advise?

As for new nuc, i was looking at the new nuc7i7 (with embedded i7) but apparently the skull canyon is more powerfull with an desktop i6.. tips/tricks are welcome! Thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

i did a fresh install of windows 10 on an Intel nuc d54250wyk. No tweaks to OS done, only Blue Iris and Blue Iris Tools running. Added this cam, with the wizard, all default settings. BI is at 100% cpu. Is my nuc too slow or do i have to configure the cam better? Ive read that direct to disk recording helps and hardware decoding. Before i buy a new Nuc, what do you guys advise?

As for new nuc, i was looking at the new nuc7i7 (with embedded i7) but apparently the skull canyon is more powerfull with an desktop i6.. tips/tricks are welcome! Thank you
you must use direct to disk...it does not work in the demo...
that said, something else likely going on, you should not be at 100 percent regardless...are you logging in remotely?
NUCs are overpriced and not a good idea for vms...you want to be able to wrote to a local 3.5 drive..

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes i was loging in remotely (Chrome remote desktop); BI used about 50% CPU. @fenderman any (small form) alternative with comparable power usage, i am used to building my own PCs.
edit: I am going to repost this in the blue-iris subforum, might get more attention there.

Last edited:

Frank van der Heide

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Firmware version wise?
Not sure, it would have been the one prior to March.
I'll have a look later and let you know.
Re copy of it, ask @EMPIRETECANDY as I left my camera with the version it came with.

Usual mindset, if it isn't broken, why mess with it? :)
Yeah, that's just the thing. My camera seems broken all the time. So that's why i was hoping that newer firmware would make it better. However, now i'm seriously considdering going back to a working firmware. Is it at all possible to downgrade? And to which firmware version would it be wise to go back to? Any suggestions?

tdwilli1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@beingaware Watched your videos on youtube. Would you mind sharing what firmware version you're using? I find your image clarity and night color video very nice. Much better than what i'm having with my camera. You wouldn't have a backup of your firmware perhaps? I would like to try to downgrade if that's at all possible.
My video was looking a little blurry and not crisp also. I had reset the camera to Default using the global Default option and wasn't helping much. But one day I was at the picture settings and hit the default on the page and BAM, the picture cleared up. My 5231R-Z was also blurry and I had updated the firmware and used the global default there with no luck. Went to the Picture page and it the default there and it also made a world of difference.

It seems like the global default reset doesn't really reset all settings on the cams.

tdwilli1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I had just gone through a setup with a NUC also, a 5i5RYH. Loaded up both WIN7 and WIN10 and it struggled with my 7 cameras at 30fps. It was slow even though CPU was at 50%. Couldn't use the timeline playback on BI without it jumping, freezing or smearing. Had everything setup with all updates and D2D. Had to lower fps to 15 and it still was at 50% but the playback was a little better. Still not very good. So I had an old i7 3770 MB sitting around and tried it out and it was light years better than the NUC. Same setup and CPU was below 20% at 30fps and timeline playback was stutter free. I use the NUC's for HTPC's and they do well for that but it can't handle the stress of BI it seems.

Frank van der Heide

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, that's just the thing. My camera seems broken all the time. So that's why i was hoping that newer firmware would make it better. However, now i'm seriously considdering going back to a working firmware. Is it at all possible to downgrade? And to which firmware version would it be wise to go back to? Any suggestions?
And where can i find previous firmware versions for the SD59224U-HNI?

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Testing settings. That was all automatic. Trying to work the kinks out of this camera hasn't been fun.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A had to shut alerts down for this afternoon. Clouds and sunlight sending them through the roof. Pir's going in tomorrow.