I'm a bit worried about a GW Security purchase and still have time to cancel...

Reaction score
I just ordered this camera and I'm now wondering about it. I still have some time (a couple of hours?) to kill the order and would like some help here.

Questions:

Does anyone have one of these?
Does it really work with PoE alone?
Does someone have a user's guide/manual for the camera?
Does someone have an alternative that is US sourced (not built) that has _all_ of these specs: PTZ POE =>20X =>4MP camera <$800.

The closest I came to finding it was a Duaha but when I attempted to order it, Aliexpress wanted a _picture_ of my driver's license and credit card (after Verified by Visa had accepted my payment). So, I killed that one quickly.

Then I stumbled on the GWS unit which is more expensive, but was on Amazon, which I ordered. However, the unit is listed on the same page with a bunch of bullet types and other very different cameras so the reviews and questions are not relevant to this unit. I'm getting wierded out.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks!!!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cancel it..
You can get a hikvision or dahua camera with full warranty for that money...

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Can you please tell me where I can find a PTZ POE =>20X =>4MP camera <$800 in the US? I can't find a Dahua or Hikvision that meets those specs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Can you please tell me where I can find a PTZ POE =>20X =>4MP camera <$800 in the US? I can't find a Dahua or Hikvision that meets those specs.
4mp will not be much better than 2mp and you will get worse night an low light images...there is more to a camera than specs...stable firmware is the number one consideration.

Reaction score
fenderman: Thanks for the info. However, I have a 4MP Reolink in another part of the property and the 4MP resolution is _much_ better at license plate recognition that my 2MP Acti. I'd buy the Reolink again in a second if it had the motorized zoom.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman: Thanks for the info. However, I have a 4MP Reolink in another part of the property and the 4MP resolution is _much_ better at license plate recognition that my 2MP Acti. I'd buy the Reolink again in a second if it had the motorized zoom.
Thats because the acti is a crap camera. Apples to apples. 4mp does not mean double the clarity of 2mp...

Reaction score
fenderman: I bow to your expertise! Is there a thread on this forum (or elsewhere) that compares the various sensors and their relative merit? I'm just going by the specs I can parse out of product listings, and my personal experience with IP Cameras I've purchased.

Reaction score
zero-degrees,

The article is spot-on! I did find that the sensor on the GWS is a full 1/3, rather than the 2.8 and smaller ones I had seen. In case anyone is interested, the actual PN is: GW-400IP

To everyone: This forum is great! Thanks for your input. The product has shipped, so cancelling is no longer an option. When it gets here I'll do a box opening and test and post the Youtube results here.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
As @bp2008 said ^^^^^ That!!!!

Here's a little reference for ya

Last edited by a moderator:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I just ordered this camera and I'm now wondering about it. I still have some time (a couple of hours?) to kill the order and would like some help here.

Questions:

Does anyone have one of these?
Does it really work with PoE alone?
Does someone have a user's guide/manual for the camera?
Does someone have an alternative that is US sourced (not built) that has _all_ of these specs: PTZ POE =>20X =>4MP camera <$800.

The closest I came to finding it was a Duaha but when I attempted to order it, Aliexpress wanted a _picture_ of my driver's license and credit card (after Verified by Visa had accepted my payment). So, I killed that one quickly.

Then I stumbled on the GWS unit which is more expensive, but was on Amazon, which I ordered. However, the unit is listed on the same page with a bunch of bullet types and other very different cameras so the reviews and questions are not relevant to this unit. I'm getting wierded out.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks!!!

I can tell you a little about GW Security. I also got sucked into buying two 5mp bullets from them last year, I will give you the good first.
When they shipped, they sent me a email with all the manuals and a link to download their software. I also totally destroyed one of the cables.
When I called they surprisingly answered and shipped me a new cable for 10 bucks..not bad service. The cams are built heavy and perform surprisingly well .
I have one running with my Dahua 4k NVR with NO issues and motion even works with it...Go figure. The Bad, If you want to use ALL the features you will be stuck using their software and its NOT user friendly and VERY confusing. The Night vision Stinks but hey what do you want for 5mp. The zoom and focus are manual and it a pain in the balls to get it set where you
want it, other than that I would not buy another one. The other cam I use with my test rig and that thing get banged around and even dropped HARD a few times and is still
ticking.

btggh

n3wb
Reaction score
There are some Reolink cameras that have auto focus, for security camera I think this feature is good enough. I have a RLC-411 and I can use that to zoom in/out which is quite handy.