I'm at a crossroad.

Dane

n3wb
Reaction score
For some years i have been playing with cameras. First analog now IP. And i have been reading this forum to learn. Newly i bought a HIK NVR 4 ch. non poe and it works very well.
But. Now i have read about Dahua (damn you Nayr :)) and i want some Starlight turrets, but what about my NVR. It will no doubt accept Dahua, at least as Onwif, but what will i miss?
Shall i change to BI, accept the limitations on Dahua on HIK or what?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For some years i have been playing with cameras. First analog now IP. And i have been reading this forum to learn. Newly i bought a HIK NVR 4 ch. non poe and it works very well.
But. Now i have read about Dahua (damn you Nayr :)) and i want some Starlight turrets, but what about my NVR. It will no doubt accept Dahua, at least as Onwif, but what will i miss?
Shall i change to BI, accept the limitations on Dahua on HIK or what?
Hikvision has low light cameras as well. See Hikvision low light thread.

Dane

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue Iris will open up a world of possibilities for you. Change over to Blue Iris.
Thanks both Fenderman and Q. Before i decide i will test Blue Iris on a spare laptop i have. It's not optimal, but hopefully i will get an impression.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks both Fenderman and Q. Before i decide i will test Blue Iris on a spare laptop i have. It's not optimal, but hopefully i will get an impression.
Just be aware that the demo version of BI won't allow Direct-to-Disk which greatly enhances performance.

Also, if your laptop is not an Intel CPU that supports Quick Sync Video (Hardware Acceleration), you won't realize that benefit either.

And lastly, mobile CPU's for laptops are generally de-tuned to reduce heat and increase battery life so right out of the gate you're not seeing optimum performance.

SUMMARY: I do encourage you to try BI but don't base your entire decision of whether or not to abandon it based on how the demo version performs on a laptop for you...it's really not fair to BI or to you.

Last edited:

Dane

n3wb
Reaction score
Just be aware that the demo version of BI won't allow Direct-to-Disk which great enhances performance.

Also, if your laptop is not an Intel CPU that supports Quick Sync Video (Hardware Acceleration), you won't realize that benefit either.

And lastly, mobile CPU's for laptops are generally de-tuned to reduce heat and increase battery life so right out of the gate you're not seeing optimum performance.

SUMMARY: I do encourage you to try BI but don't base your entire decision of whether or not to abandon it based on how the demo version performs on a laptop for you...it's really not fair to BI or to you.
Thanks TonyR. It's a Thinkpad with a Intel dual core. Il'l try, but have your advice in mind.