I'm not seeing 5231-ZE anymore ... is something newer recommended?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Cant get into that link, but Yes,The HiK Colorvu along wiht the Dahua equivalent that have white light LEDS providing white light are an option and yes known around here. Search you will find reviews.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cant get into that link, but Yes,The HiK Colorvu along wiht the Dahua equivalent that have white light LEDS providing white light are an option and yes known around here. Search you will find reviews.
Ahh, this is the comparable to the 5442? I hadn't realized it required the "always on" LED. If these could be kept off and only turned on through some API call from BI when motion is detected, would you agree this would be better quality than IR?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
All depends on the location and situation. They have their place. I have one at the front door that is actually HDCVI. The white LEDS only come on when I forget to turn on the porch light.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ahh, this is the comparable to the 5442? I hadn't realized it required the "always on" LED. If these could be kept off and only turned on through some API call from BI when motion is detected, would you agree this would be better quality than IR?
This camera uses the same 4MP 1/1.8” sensor as the 5442 models do (including the “Full Color” 5442TM-AS-LED model that has LED lights like this Hik ColorVu).

With the LED lights off, this camera does no better than a regular 5442 with the IR turned off. Also like regular 5442 models, if there isn’t enough light, it will switch to B/W mode even though it’s a “Full Color” camera.

I think that unless people need a porch light built into their camera (to visibly light up a dark area at night) they’re likely to get better video from a 5442 with IR than running the LED model with the LEDs off until motion is detected. Sure, if you have BI motion detection run an action that flips the LEDs on, it’ll be bright as heck but you lose a second or so of video as the camera adjusts to the suddenly bright light. And depending on how dark it is when the LEDs are off, the video quality may be not good, so you may not have any useful video of what happened before BI detected the motion.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
My HDCVI version isn't motion activated. The white lights come on when a light threshold (adjustable) is met.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It would be helpful to see how quickly it would adjust with the auto on led based on motion but I’ve not seen anybody show this yet ... no API or firmware for this yet?

I’ve not see all reviews but from the limited ones I’ve seen it seems to produce better pictures with LED on at night than my 5231 IR. Can you link anything where the IR looks better than color with LED on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boomerman

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a fixed lens version of the 2231-Z with good night vision. You might need to check a few sellers on Ali to see if they have stock.

Not tried it but do have a couple of the Z version (2.8mm - 13mm lens) on order.

#Aliexpress US $63.12 13%OFF | Dahua IP Camera IPC-HDW2231TM-AS-S2 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera Starlight built-in Mic support POE Security Camera
I contacted one of the sellers (Professional Electronic Technology Store ) and I asked specifically if this could be updated with new firmware, their vague answer was "
yes dear, can update firmware, we sells all original dahua international version, all support english"

Interpret that how you want, me I am a little skeptical.

Seems to good to be true for those specs, but I am a newbie and still learning so I really don't know much but you usually get what you pay for,

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
It appears you can open a fixed focal camera, remove the epoxy glue around the lens cap, and screw it in or out to manually adjust the optical zoom ... is this true?
I can only speak for a few of the cameras I've opened up. Changing the focal length requires changing the lens assembly. Removing the adhesive and turning the lens in its screw mount adjusts the focus.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can only speak for a few of the cameras I've opened up. Changing the focal length requires changing the lens assembly. Removing the adhesive and turning the lens in its screw mount adjusts the focus.
Excellent, thanks for clarifying.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It appears you can open a fixed focal camera, remove the epoxy glue around the lens cap, and screw it in or out to manually adjust the optical zoom ... is this true? If so, this would allow a person to re-purpose one of these cameras, adjust the optical zoom, and not have to worry whether the camera is suited for the new location. For me, I don't adjust the optical zoom but would if I moved it or had different needs in the future.
No, that would only change the focus.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The IPC-HDW5231R-ZE right now stock badly lacking due to the bad virus here, can be back to stock in early March, i think around 14th.March
Right now many models are no stock. Dahua's plan to recover to 80% at March.20th.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @essjay

I don't think "knock off" is an appropriate concern, however always do be cautious with Aliexpress vendors - as often they will sell a Chinese market camera from Dahua / Hikvision and "hack" the software to provide English language support. So do watch for that... and try to only go with vendors which other ipcamtalk members will recommend.
I contacted the China Top Security vendor and they stated it's English/international from the Dahua factory and upgradable firmware.

Curiosity is killing me :D so ordered one to take a look. I didn't see a comparable model on Andy's Aliexpress shop or would have ordered it there.

boomerman

n3wb
Reaction score
I contacted the China Top Security vendor and they stated it's English/international from the Dahua factory and upgradable firmware.

Curiosity is killing me :D so ordered one to take a look. I didn't see a comparable model on Andy's Aliexpress shop or would have ordered it there.
Have you gotten your camera yet?