Image missing from push notification

Kev79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just wanted to reaffirm that there should really be no reason to jump through all of these hoops... I have changed absolutely nothing on my network. Previous version 5.2.6.5: the push notifications all work perfectly... versions after that: the push images became erratic. Reinstall the old version: all works again... Logic would dictate something changed in BI. I have been waiting for well over two months to hear anything back from support.
bean19811 The only difference I can see as of right now between the two versions is the way the console logs in. It seems to use an address of 0.0.0.0 where in the newer versions it was a different IP. Not sure if this is relevant to the situation or not.

bicon.jpg

Last edited:

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t see how the console login is relevant to your problem. I would let this version ride for a couple days and then see. I recall you making other changes and thought you fixed it. If it’s still working after a day or two, pass the info on to support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kev79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don’t see how the console login is relevant to your problem. I would let this version ride for a couple days and then see. I recall you making other changes and thought you fixed it. If it’s still working after a day or two, pass the info on to support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks mike. I can already tell it's much better but we will see. It ran all last night and this morning at work which I was never able to do before. "Not one miss". Before when It did decide to work it was only about 90%. Especially jumping between wifi and mobile data would lose it's mind. This has not skipped a beat. Never worked this good. I'm not sure why the console would matter either. Just noting the difference I saw. I would love to know what I could change to make the new version run like this old version when it comes to Android image push notifications. I also ran Wireshark to sniff the loopback. The results are vastly different between the two versions. I'm not clever enough to get any useful troubleshooting information from it.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Please enlighten me on what I am doing wrong then. I literally rolled back the version and changed nothing else. I have the most basic setup you could possibly have. I set everything up per the instructions of the DEV and the community. No specific situations here. You must be an Apple user I take?
Who the hell knows. No setup is basic. Pfsense, is not basic. I have no idea what you have running on your system. I have both apple and android device and I hate apple with a passion.
You will wait patiently until the developer responds to you. Relax.

Kev79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Who the hell knows. No setup is basic. Pfsense, is not basic. I have no idea what you have running on your system. I have both apple and android device and I hate apple with a passion.
pfsense is not simple but again only difference between working and not is the BI PC version thus far. I have no idea what Ken may or may not have done that would affect pfsence port forwarding and NAT reflection's. Need some pro insight on that. I cant be the only one running pfsense either. Relax with what? Raising an issue? Is this not the place for that? Geez.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
pfsense is not simple but again only difference between working and not is the BI PC version thus far. I have no idea what Ken may or may not have done that would affect pfsence port forwarding and NAT reflection's. Need some pro insight on that. I cant be the only one running pfsense either. Relax with what? Raising an issue? Is this not the place for that? Geez.
You are in a panic. Reviving multiple old threads, creating new ones. Relax.

bean19811

n3wb
Reaction score
I just wanted to update on my situation if it helps anyone. I have waited for 3 days to post and will now say that 5.3.3.9 has fixed my issue. I have had 99% of the push notifications come through with the .gif.
I'm using IOS 14.0.1 and open vpn for off site connection with no ports forwarded on the router. The Wan and Lan in BI and the BI App are both set to the Lan address of the BI PC because of using the VPN.
Other than the usual rebooting of the router and computer after installing the BI update I made no other changes to my network and it all just works again. I hope this update has fixed it for the rest of you too. Thanks for all of the ideas.

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just wanted to update on my situation if it helps anyone. I have waited for 3 days to post and will now say that 5.3.3.9 has fixed my issue. I have had 99% of the push notifications come through with the .gif.
I'm using IOS 14.0.1 and open vpn for off site connection with no ports forwarded on the router. The Wan and Lan in BI and the BI App are both set to the Lan address of the BI PC because of using the VPN.
Other than the usual rebooting of the router and computer after installing the BI update I made no other changes to my network and it all just works again. I hope this update has fixed it for the rest of you too. Thanks for all of the ideas.
Same setup as me with regards to VPN but notifications still broken...

What kind of delay do you get between trigger and receiving GIF previews?

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Updated to latest BI version on both PC and iOS and seems to have resolved missing GIF previews - will update further after a day or so of testing.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Like apparently several others, for my Android (Galaxy Note 9) phone I've been able to get alert images through MMS but not through push notifications. Running on BI ver. 5.3.7.10. Has anyone gotten image/push notifications to work?

bean19811

n3wb
Reaction score
They have been working flawlessly for me again since 5.3.3.9 but I'm using IOS.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris technical support got back with and indicated that they are about to beta test an update to the Android app that will address this issue, so we'll see.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Figured I'd circle back on this again. With the various updates to BI and the Android app, has anyone been able to get push notifications with images to work on Android without using MMS?

thedcdude

n3wb
Reaction score
I don’t have any Android devices but they’ve been working consistently for a long time on iOS.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel like I've tried everything and can't get them to work, even on my newer Galaxy S20+. I imagine the variations of carriers and Android versions poses a development challenge. I'd use SMS but I'm limited in text messages per my 15 year old Verizon unlimited data plan which I've found is otherwise worth holding onto.