Image tearing/streaking

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There are a few threads on this topic without real resolution so figured to have my own.

middle of the day and might see the pixelated blob behind a person walking through the frame.

first off, when this happens, is it a bi issue, bi computer issue, browser view or camera issue?

that’s just the start it seems like it is something people have experienced so I am trying to determine where to start short of tearing things apart.

is it camera fps vs I frame? Have seen mention of 1080p vs 4K does this mean at the camera settings level main? Does something like that defeat the purpose of a camera like the 5442?

Reaction score
Frist off, is this happening live, or is it during playback? Is the cam running through a router?

FPS vs. I Frame: set them the same in the cam GUI. I take it this is a 5442 since you mentioned it. If not, which cam?

Set the bit rate in the cam GUI as high as it will go, like 8192.

1658285244640.png

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
yes, the 5442. I had it at 30/30, 15/15 and even 30/60, all did the same and with daylight. Bit rate was already set to max and CBR.

I need to wait till tomorrow, but I stumbled upon a post this event (albeit a little older) and it talked about smart codec/encoding strategy. It was set to smart as I originally read it helps the image quality etc, but the post I saw this evening mentions that a similar issue to mine with the pixelation, so I set it back to general. Need to wait till the morning to test.

As for viewing, it is wil UI3 from a pc wired network, recorded alerts. When you mention live, you mean the camera interface right and not UI3 live view? I will have to test that too. Watch one and then look at the recording. Hopefully, it was just this smart codec bit.

As for the path, all are wired into the same unifi 48port switch.

Reaction score
When you mention live, you mean the camera interface right and not UI3 live view?
I mean looking at BlueIris while the video feed is breaking up. Not UI3 but BI native. Does it happen when making a playback from BI?

Do you have a micro-SD card in the cam? I have had an issue with one of my cams where say a car driving across the video ghosts and tears apart. It seemed to happen when the SD card was full even though the cam was supposed to overwrite the card. I would reformat the card and all seemed ok. But then it would happen again. So I ultimately turned off the writing to the card from within the cam's GUI, disabled local write to the card. No longer have that issue. Someday I will get around to replacing the card.

1658297695769.png

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I mean looking at BlueIris while the video feed is breaking up. Not UI3 but BI native. Does it happen when making a playback from BI?

Do you have a micro-SD card in the cam? I have had an issue with one of my cams where say a car driving across the video ghosts and tears apart. It seemed to happen when the SD card was full even though the cam was supposed to overwrite the card. I would reformat the card and all seemed ok. But then it would happen again. So I ultimately turned off the writing to the card from within the cam's GUI, disabled local write to the card. No longer have that issue. Someday I will get around to replacing the card.

View attachment 134008

An interesting question. In BI, all my feeds are the secondary stream, so the quality is low till triggered. I assume this is in my setup.

Is the strategy to always record the primary or make the switch when triggered? With that, if I record the secondary 24/7, in BI is the strategy to have a duplicate camera that is the primary feed, but not recording? hope that makes sense.

right now, I think my issue was the encoding strategy, it was on smart

1658720971552.png

I set it to general.

1658720999758.png

now to sort the best way to watch the live feed without direct connecting the camera. UI,

Reaction score
Is the strategy to always record the primary or make the switch when triggered?
Everyone has their own strategy when it comes to BI. Personally, I just record continuous, like the setting below. That is how I started in BI and never bothered to check out the other options once they became available. I do use the substreams in BI.

1658728216620.png
1658728336175.png

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
But when you look at live view is it displaying the main stream or the sub?

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am having the same issue. But it's not just BI as I have my recordings going to BI and to my Synology Surveillance Station. So this points to the camera.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
have you tried H264 setting? and how does it look at say 20 FPS or 15FPS. When i was new, I thought everything was about FPS. But I learned thats its about shutter speed.
My License plate capture 5241-z12 cam is set to 12 FPS and a shutter of 1/2000. I'm getting 99.9% of the plates.
Some folks here are of the thinking that the storage savings of H265 are negligible, given the hardware load you put on the BI system....or something like that.
Smart people will chime in once they have a Coffee, and review last nites videos for Zombies and creepy Crawlies. :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The savings of H265 are usually minimal at best unless you have largely static scenes. H265 divides the scene into large blocks and only updates a block when it "sees" motion in that block. H264, by comparison, uses much smaller blocks and updates in the same fashion. As a result of those smaller blocks it is much more likely to detect motion to update those blocks. As an overall result the video can be much smoother.

Hollywood shoots motion pictures at 24F/ps. 30F/ps for surveillance is totally un-needed. 15F/ps is fine and will save far more disk space than H265 can ever hope to at 30F/ps or even 20F/ps. As @Flintstone61 says, shutter speed, exposure time, is where it's at for surveillance cameras.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’ll mess with those settings from a improvement perspective, but the tearing issue I had appears resolved changing to generic.

now I seek being able to see the main feed in bi, which I think is only possible if I create a duplicate camera that doesn’t record and only has the main configured. My goal is to be able to monitor all cameras in high resolution vs the grainy image I get from the secondary feed that supports 24/7.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Duplicate camera? I think all you need to do is remove the sub stream from the video setup tab. That way BI will use the mainstream for everything. I used to run like that myself.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’ll mess with those settings from a improvement perspective, but the tearing issue I had appears resolved changing to generic.

now I seek being able to see the main feed in bi, which I think is only possible if I create a duplicate camera that doesn’t record and only has the main configured. My goal is to be able to monitor all cameras in high resolution vs the grainy image I get from the secondary feed that supports 24/7.
How about upping the bitrate of the substream instead of running multi-cameras on mainstream and shooting up the CPU? You can up the bitrate to 2048 on a D1 resolution and the CPU won't appreciably go up and the resolution should be fine. If it is good enough for 3rd party plate reading, it is good enough on a multi-camera screen device...

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@wittaj Thanks for the recommendation. I never realized I can go beyond the the 1024 max setting, but seems custom lets me go way higher if desired.

I guess one thing I am seeing now that is on is a BI multi view issue. For instance, if I am viewing the video of my 3 cameras, the time stamp is a jumbled mess. If this is normal, fine, I just need to know.

1659106089797.png

If I view just that camera, then things are much more clear.

1659106138458.png

So really, maybe now the issue is just about the quality when using a browser in UI3 and viewing all of my cameras at once. Currently I do not have a dedicated monitor to display the cameras, but if I did, surely I do not want a garbled mess. Is this a product of UI3 and the browser limitation vs connected directly to the system?
You need to spend an hour or three reading the BI help file.

And this: Camera setup - Blue Iris
I do love that my work blocks this document. BI is not shareware, I paid money for it sillies.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You do realize that you can raise the bit rate of the sub streams to improve the video in multi-camera views, right?