Importing HP Elitedesk SSF or Tower to Thailand

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am going to take the advice here and buy a secondhand HPElitedesk, either i7 or i5 and either a gen 3 or if tower gen 4. While I thought IT gear would be cheap here (Thailand) that’s not necessarily the case and it’s difficult ( almost impossible) to find late model second hand equipment.

But there are two questions I have which I have not been able to find the answers too:

1. If either of these two machines are said to have windows installed does that automatically mean it’s an option on windows 7 or 10 pro as a key on the bios or could it just be say solely windows 7? And if it can be one and not the other how can I confirm what’s been licensed with the machine? Does the serial code make this distinction?

2. Thailand is 220v and US is 120v. Is that an issue or does the power unit moderate and adjust the power difference internally?

Sure there are also considerations on freight and warranty but having weighed it up I still thinks it’s commercially viable to import.

Thanks for any inputs.

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So here I go at an attempt to answer question 1 myself.

It would appear (my googling around) that if I have a valid 7, 8 or 8.1 windows key then I can do a clean install of Windows 10 and the windows installer will accept that key (7, 8 or 8.1) as authorisation and issue an ongoing digital entitlement to Windows 10. Have I understood that correctly?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So here I go at an attempt to answer question 1 myself.

It would appear (my googling around) that if I have a valid 7, 8 or 8.1 windows key then I can do a clean install of Windows 10 and the windows installer will accept that key (7, 8 or 8.1) as authorisation and issue an ongoing digital entitlement to Windows 10. Have I understood that correctly?
That is claimed to work. Certainly, if 7 is already installed, you can upgrade to 10 (in place) using the media creation tool, no problem. I did just that last week. Then once it activates do a clean install of windows. Always clean install - never use an in place upgrade. While some hp machines do have dual licenses, 3rd gen processor machines will not have a 10 license as 10 was released in 2015, some later 4th gens may.

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. Good point on 3rd gen processors.

I also now see that 120 vac vs 220 vac shouldn't be an issue, at least with the HP Elitedesk. Some of the models have a red switch on the back of the case, and next to the power input, that allows you to swap between the two voltages. And the HP Elitedesk G3 SSF accepts an operating voltage range of 90 vac to 264 vac (according to the maintenance manual). Just in case anyone else has the same query.