IMX385 pretty good DIY camera

gusyaya

n3wb
Reaction score
In case anyone is interested, I want to share my experience in assembling an imx385 camera, IDK if it's allowed or not, if it isn't, sorry in advance.
Everything started after buying a couple of camera doorbells that failed on me(zmode-ring) and didn't work the way I wanted so I did one myself with an imx385 and push notification with one of the alarm inputs in the module.
Still struglin to have dual audio with blueiris and ipcamviewer(I have to contact the developer that I think is pretty accesible), I can only listen but can't send audio, and from the webserver on IE it works perfectly.

Untitled.jpg

IMG_3449.JPG
With 12 usd lens

The next one I assembled it with a Pentax CS vga lens and didn't care about audio.

IMG_3376.JPG

I'm sending 12v via the 2 unused pairs of the ethernet cable

IMG_3378.JPG

IMG_3381.JPG
IMG_3450.JPG

Here is a video for reference, the picture in picture is an iphone 8 filming in 1080p 30fps for better light capture to be fair.
I paid the imx385 module usd 88, it has a lot of stuff, if you want to add a pendrive it has USB, wifi with a dongle, etc

View attachment Untitled2.mp4

gusyaya

n3wb
Reaction score
Nice! I put a similar imx385 module in a birdhouse, here:
Sony IMX385 comparo
but your integration is slicker than mine...
Hey!!! Nice that you posted that too, my post seems a little redundant, I didn't know.
The imx385 has much more potential, I'm trying to drive it with a jetson since 6 months but with no luck yet.
Your module has hi3516a or d? it does make some differnece

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I got that module based on the specs of the of the IMX385 chip, which makes it seem it would better in low-light than even the IMX290/291/307-based units,
but I gotta say the IMX290 units do pretty well and at about 1/3 the cost. So i'm not totally sold on the IMX385, but perhaps mine doesn't have the best supporting chip/fw?

gusyaya

n3wb
Reaction score
No, A is better and AV200 is better than the A, IDK how your video compares with mine(HI3516A), you can see mine, even compressed that loose a little.
What I can see from the link you posted is that is a different board, another manufacturer.
If you are not that happy maybe is the lens?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
hm, not sure there's a practical difference between the A & D at my usual 10FPS, at least:

(note the D is apparently the 'lite' version using a bit less power and less top end than the A)

As for lens, i figured a CS lens would be better (gather more light than the usual M12).
but the IMX 290's i have with f.10 M12 lenses do quite well in low light.
hard to compare directly, as the imx290's have 16mm lenses while my IMX385 is 6mm...

gusyaya

n3wb
Reaction score
hm, not sure there's a practical difference between the A & D at my usual 10FPS, at least:
(note the D is apparently the 'lite' version using a bit less power and less top end than the A)
yes yes, I read all the datasheets, as I told you I'm trying to move the sensor to another platform so I read a lot jejeje, a jetson nano, I hope I succede at some point

gusyaya

n3wb
Reaction score
I got that module based on the specs of the of the IMX385 chip, which makes it seem it would better in low-light than even the IMX290/291/307-based units,
but I gotta say the IMX290 units do pretty well and at about 1/3 the cost. So i'm not totally sold on the IMX385, but perhaps mine doesn't have the best supporting chip/fw?
I don't have an imx290, but from my video comparing with the embedded iphone8 video inside the video, (it really is a low light street), do you think it's at the same level than the imx290?