In need of some Help with a Dahua camera

AirB0Ba3

n3wb
Reaction score
Specifically asking if there is any diagnostic tools available? this camera continuously goes offline, anywhere from 1-2 seconds to 1-2 hours. I have tried a new cable (cam to Amcrest NVR (which shows I'm using less than half of the bandwidth available by the way)).
I have swapped the ports with another camera
changed the IP address
reset the camera, via web and hard button
disabled all IVS
the outages show in the event-alarm log as simply:
Event Type: Offline
NIC No.: eth0
the camera is a:
DH-IPC-PDW5849-A180-E2-ASTE

any help in identifying the problem is much appreciated

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you show a pic of your NVR camera registration page and point out which camera/port it is?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1. delete screenshots with serial numbers... they can be used to p2p attack..

2. what exactly NVR model? what firmware version? is the firmware latest?

3. is this cam have installed latest firmware (DH_IPC-HX5(4)XXX-Taurus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V3.140.0000000.21.R.240514)?

4. what exactly means goes to offline for 1-2 hours? how it return to live after that time? does webpage redirection (internet explorer icon) works in that time?

5. there should be camera->poe menu (if not on web service, then over HDMI).. you can try to enable enhanced status to put higher power/voltage to specified port.. and also information about quality on link...

6. switch h265 to h264 on this camera.. disable smart codec... change encoding bitrate type to CBR.. disable all ai..

7. is this cam is mounted on building? if yes - demount and try on short cable next to NVR for 24h in temp controlled environment. if it will work then cable (lack of POE power - to long or to bad cable) or temperature... If not - probably camera is broken...

AirB0Ba3

n3wb
Reaction score
1. delete screenshots with serial numbers... they can be used to p2p attack..
:facepalm:
2. what exactly NVR model? what firmware version? is the firmware latest?
Preview attachment IMG_8771.jpg

IMG_8771.jpg
67 KB

3. is this cam have installed latest firmware (DH_IPC-HX5(4)XXX-Taurus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V3.140.0000000.21.R.240514)?
I have been reluctant to upgrade any firmware after reading about bad experiences. Is it as straightforward as download and update? where should I get it from?
4. what exactly means goes to offline for 1-2 hours? how it return to live after that time? does webpage redirection (internet explorer icon) works in that time?
so at first I was going back, unplugging, waiting, rebooting..., then for no other reason than laziness, I found the eventually it just comes back on in live view, and no, no access is available in this time.

5. there should be camera->poe menu (if not on web service, then over HDMI).. you can try to enable enhanced status to put higher power/voltage to specified port.. and also information about quality on link...
I see nothing like this but not sure I'm following.
6. switch h265 to h264 on this camera.. disable smart codec... change encoding bitrate type to CBR.. disable all ai..
will do
7. is this cam is mounted on building? if yes - demount and try on short cable next to NVR for 24h in temp controlled environment. if it will work then cable (lack of POE power - to long or to bad cable) or temperature... If not - probably camera is broken...
I will do this also
and I guess broken gets me back to my original question about diagnostics tool to be certain.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1 and 2.
You wrote reply in gmail and then copied it here...
image attachments in your replies didn't copied properly and can't be open...

3. there were a few cases in dahua history that new firmware broken something. but in 99% cases they are ok.

You can download latest firmware at dahua site:

Dahua Technology - World-leading Video-centric AIoT Solution and Service Provide

there is also little older but better tested version at Download Firmwares (color4k-t180 model).

7. there is no special diagnostics tool for dahua cams..
NVR should display all information about camera and built-in POE Switch.. but some those informations are only available over HDMI interface..

You can log to camera web interface (Internet Explorer icon on camera list) and check logs from times where camera frozen. there is chance that camera will log something important.

AirB0Ba3

n3wb
Reaction score
attached, thank you.

3. there were a few cases in dahua history that new firmware broken something. but in 99% cases they are ok.

Dahua Technology - World-leading Video-centric AIoT Solution and Service Provide

there is also little older but better tested version at Download Firmwares (color4k-t180 model).
great which would you use first? and the NVR, now that you can see the image?
NVR should display all information about camera and built-in POE Switch.. but some those informations are only available over HDMI interface..
BRF lost me there also, HDMI interface?
You can log to camera web interface (Internet Explorer icon on camera list) and check logs from times where camera frozen. there is chance that camera will log something important.
[/QUOTE]
That is the only way I knew what was going on. example attached.

Attachments

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
3., start from older version (well tested from empiretech)

7. this logs shows many events of being offline on ethernet card...
so it looks like more/less ethernet cable / plug or switch port problem..

testing locally next to NVR on a new short ethernet cable for 24 hours on different poe port should confirm that...

if You known how (and have proper equipment) then you should cut and reassemble the Ethernet cable with a new ethernet plugs.

AirB0Ba3

n3wb
Reaction score
3., start from older version (well tested from empiretech)

7. this logs shows many events of being offline on ethernet card...
so it looks like more/less ethernet cable / plug or switch port problem..

testing locally next to NVR on a new short ethernet cable for 24 hours on different poe port should confirm that...

if You known how (and have proper equipment) then you should cut and reassemble the Ethernet cable with a new ethernet plugs.
I don't have the equipment so I bought prefab cables. I think swapping the camera ports eliminated the possible port problem. & I did test with a brand new cable (longer) with no change.
I'm going to tackle the firmware this evening, but the instructions show a few methods, one being web/cloud and the manual check button. I remember that not working previously, does it ever? I see there can be multiple steps which sounds bad to me, simply because I'm having connection problems and I would hate to have it botch the upgrade.

AirB0Ba3

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have the equipment so I bought prefab cables. I think swapping the camera ports eliminated the possible port problem. & I did test with a brand new cable (longer) with no change.
I'm going to tackle the firmware this evening, but the instructions show a few methods, one being web/cloud and the manual check button. I remember that not working previously, does it ever? I see there can be multiple steps which sounds bad to me, simply because I'm having connection problems and I would hate to have it botch the upgrade.
and just to be clear, it was running fine on the original cord (whole system <1 yr). BRF had me try another cord and there was no change. when I removed the 2nd cord I replaced it with another prefab, so 3 in total have been tried.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
and just to be clear, it was running fine on the original cord (whole system <1 yr). BRF had me try another cord and there was no change. when I removed the 2nd cord I replaced it with another prefab, so 3 in total have been tried.
it can be port on switch... try put on different one (even you can try to use one used by another cam)...

or on camera...

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
if this is original cam from dahua distribution then online check/upgrade should work..

in other cases (OEM etc) You must use manual upgrade, uploading to camera *.bin file with firmware...

AirB0Ba3

n3wb
Reaction score
it can be port on switch... try put on different one (even you can try to use one used by another cam)...

or on camera...
the switch is included in the NVR? I have tried this camera on an unused port and also swapped it with another camera to double check

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the switch is included in the NVR? I have tried this camera on an unused port and also swapped it with another camera to double check
those 8 ethernet ports on back for camera are part of the ethernet POE Switch, which is built-in in Your NVR...

sometimes ports brakes.. or power regulator...

You can try to use different POE Switch..

AirB0Ba3

n3wb
Reaction score
where?

ps. is this system was installed by some installer? maybe you should call him?
sorry the manual check button for firmware update returns: "check timeout"
and no installer, thankfully, I would have choked him by now:winktongue:
it 's 4 new cameras wired to a new NVR wired to a new router, what could go wrong?
is there any pursuit of a working button? and do you think the NVR should be updated also?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
sorry the manual check button for firmware update returns: "check timeout"
and no installer, thankfully, I would have choked him by now:winktongue:
it 's 4 new cameras wired to a new NVR wired to a new router, what could go wrong?
is there any pursuit of a working button? and do you think the NVR should be updated also?

ok so it's a new system, You bought somewhere..
first you should ask help your seller, it should have a better knowledge how to diagnose those problems or bad equipment :)

If this is not possible, you should check this cam on short cable next to NVR on different NVR ports..

if the problems repeats then most simple explanation is that cam is somehow broken - probably have problems with ethernet port/cable..

ask seller to repair/exchange to a new one...

Manual Firmware update:
You can try doit from NVR interface - on camera list page there is second tab Update, where next to path input You can click on browse button, select *.bin file with firmware (downloaded from website), select that camera and click on update..

You can doit this also from camera webpage by uploading *.bin file..

AirB0Ba3

n3wb
Reaction score
1 and 2.
You wrote reply in gmail and then copied it here...
image attachments in your replies didn't copied properly and can't be open...

A few things please.
the file downloaded from IPC-Color4K-T180 is:
General_IPC-HX5(4)XXX-Taurus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V3.140.0000000.7.R.231224 .bin
and different than the one you referenced above.
I assumed like most things it would be best to do the update at-the-camera. so abandoning the non-working button, I used the above bin file and it's stuck at 0%, nada. Opened the amcrest config program and that's a no-go. what is the preferred method (that works)?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the file downloaded from IPC-Color4K-T180 is:
General_IPC-HX5(4)XXX-Taurus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V3.140.0000000.7.R.231224 .bin
and different than the one you referenced above.
I assumed like most things it would be best to do the update at-the-camera. so abandoning the non-working button, I used the above bin file and it's stuck at 0%, nada. Opened the amcrest config program and that's a no-go. what is the preferred method (that works)?
yes...
this is little older (last 6 digits are date in YYMMDD format) firmware version, but very well tested by forum members...

Your cam is connected to NVR - so it is hidden after NVR (which works like second router) - so You can't simply connect to it from Your network because it doesn't have any IP address in it (it works in separate ip network)..

NVR offers web redirection - but this is only for camera web interface.

As I described above - firmware update - You can try doit from NVR interface...

What exactly version of firmware You have now on camera?

If the 0% problem will happen regardless of the method used, then firmware is wrong (dahua cams/NVR have protections that block the upload of the wrong firmware) or this is another symptom of problems with the Ethernet port on the camera.