In over my head ...Yikes.

ITFarm

n3wb
Reaction score
So some background, I am primarily a general purpose computer analyst , but have spent the past 5 years mainly in database design. I work for a logistics company, and as the "tech" guy, video surveillance has fallen in my lap.

Site #1
About 2 years ago, i installed a GW security system (16 channel/IP/POE/NVR) with their branded Bullets and domes. I also hooked a Amcrest PTZ and a Reolink PTZ into that system. I had not yet heard of BluerIris :(

Sites #2-#5
All had some sort of existing system in place, all using BNC style cable/cameras , most of them samsung branded, using Samsung DVRs. These were installed by a prev tech company, and work fine (2 to 5 MP cameras

Site #6
New site , with no cameras...what im working on right now.

So for the most part, all sites work well, independently, but with no good single way to tie them all together and i hate the software on all of them. Including Site #1 which i just did. About 6 months ago i bought blur iris, installed it on a VM, and quickly decided its the software i want!

Site #1, is not a problem, everything there is IP, and was able to get moved over to Blueiris easily. Even was able to connect to the samsung DVRS and pull streams from those cameras (not ideal, and was not the HD stream, but ok for now)
Site #2-#5, would love to replace those DVRs with Blueiris box, but would love recommendation on hardware to convert those BNC's into something usable by Bluriris. Yes, i know i should pull new cat, and change to ip cameras, but simple not in the budget (mainly time)
Site #6 - new site, not up and running yet, so pulling cable here easy (no one in way)...but so Many camera options!! And So many used enterprise grade systems to choose from on Ebay or the referb markets. Which is were my ask comes in :)

About site 6 - It is a truck terminal, will need/want 2 ptz cameras outside (there will be used to scan the yard, if someone needs to see whats going on in the yard live), 8 outside cameras , 2 inside cameras that cover a large maintenance bay.

Where i Need Suggestions for site #6
  • Cameras? Or atleast brand/vendor. Currently looking at Amcrest.
  • The computer..what processor/ram should i be looking at, if i assume 16 cameras, motion detection, 4k, playing on a local screen, and streaming to a remote.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

I would recommend looking at commercial video systems, not Blue Iris.
SEE another post

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google
In the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

ITFarm

n3wb
Reaction score
that is awesome. reading up now!

Edit: That's weird...i was reading a message, that i thought was here..someone had replied with a stock list of cameras, tools, links, that they recommended..and now i cant find it. Not sure what i did!

Last edited: