Inbound and Outbound vpn's

gokiwi

n3wb
Reaction score
Ive put this under chit-chat as it sounds like its more of a generic question.

So currently I have an outbound vpn running on my router so that I can access my NVR, however my employer is changing how we access the office when working from home.
They want us to use a vpn service to access the office, so how would this work ?. I am guessing that there wont be a conflict as the computer I use at home for work has nothing to do with the NVR ?

Merry Christmas & Happy Holiday's

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Outbound is from your home to the internet. Inbound is from the internet to your home. Getting a paid VPN service will not affect your ability to access your NVR.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly as @Hammerhead786 says. Shouldn't be a problem. So, for example, I've got a VPN set up on my home router so I can connect to my LAN when I'm away; this supports an inbound connection at the router level; the router is the server and a mobile phone or whatever is the client.

My work uses a VPN with the server being some computer in ...well, I don't even know where... and my laptop is the client running a VPN client (Cisco Anywhere I think). The VPN client is engaged whenever I want my work laptop to connect to the work VPN, whether I'm at home, at a public wifi hotspot, or whatever. The VPN client on the laptop when it is on my LAN doesn't interfere with (and isn't interfered by) the VPN the Router is set up to support.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that it will be a problem. The DDNS may not work correctly with an outbound VPN operation. The outbound VPN will mask the local IP address used to resolved the DDNS.

As I side note, i believe that outbound VPNs are a major security risk. They have been hacked look at NordVPN. All your traffic is flowing through the outbound VPN servers, you really trust these people ( who the hell are they) to keep your data safe. Look at your data, it is not securely encrypted going from the VPN server to the end point. Your still need to login to facebook, snapchat, your email, servers What recourse do you have if they expose your data. Outbound VPNs are useless crap. Think about it.

Reaction score
I believe that it will be a problem. The DDNS may not work correctly with an outbound VPN operation. The outbound VPN will mask the local IP address used to resolved the DDNS.

As I side note, i believe that outbound VPNs are a major security risk. They have been hacked look at NordVPN. All your traffic is flowing through the outbound VPN servers, you really trust these people ( who the hell are they) to keep your data safe. Look at your data, it is not securely encrypted going from the VPN server to the end point. Your still need to login to facebook, snapchat, your email, servers What recourse do you have if they expose your data. Outbound VPNs are useless crap. Think about it.
Are you saying NordVPN has been hacked? Isnt all the data encrypted from point to point?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NORDvpn servers were hacked. Management kept it secret for more than a year. Very unethical for a company that is a security company.

Your data is encrypted from your device to nordvpn servers. That is it. It may use https going from the nordvpn to the endpoint. It has to be decrypted at the NORDvpn server. Having the server hacked allows for a man in the middle attack.

If those type of VPNs are so good how come specific target advertising still show up on you PC?

Last edited:

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive put this under chit-chat as it sounds like its more of a generic question.

So currently I have an outbound vpn running on my router so that I can access my NVR, however my employer is changing how we access the office when working from home.
They want us to use a vpn service to access the office, so how would this work ?. I am guessing that there wont be a conflict as the computer I use at home for work has nothing to do with the NVR ?

Merry Christmas & Happy Holiday's
How do you access the office today? I'm assuming you have some sort of VPN client installed on a laptop? You shouldn't see any problem with an outbound VPN.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Outbound office VPN are different than commerical purchased VPNS. Office VPNs are true point to point, they are also only active when connected to the office. They place your connected computer on the office network. Depending on the configuration of the office VPN, you may or may not be able to access Internet services (Google, your bank....).

I have been using office VPNS for a number of year with absolutely no problems other than slow speeds.
Currently no personal computers are allowed on the company network. All employees are given a company laptop if working from home. Personal phones can not access the company wifi. USB drives are prohibited. The USB port on all computers are disabled. All computers are scan daily for have only licensed approved software. Security is a major is a issue.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Understood. I get the concept of the site to site VPN. Just wondering when someone mentions “VPN for work changing” just exactly what that means because it can be a site to site VPN or a hosted VPN. We host our own at work as well as various site to site VPNs for partners or remote offices. When I connect in from home, it’s via a software VPN client.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gokiwi

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All, Hope you had a good Christmas/enjoying the holidays.

So when I say VPN for work changing, we used to use Cisco and Cisco's SSL style of vpn connectivity now we are using Palo Alto Global Protect. So with Cisco we would effectively create a vpn to the firewall then SSL to a desktop in the office now with the PA we will have a laptop with the PA Global Protect client installed but obviously still use my home internet service - Hope that makes sense ?.

The good news is that all is working fine so now.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi All, Hope you had a good Christmas/enjoying the holidays.

So when I say VPN for work changing, we used to use Cisco and Cisco's SSL style of vpn connectivity now we are using Palo Alto Global Protect. So with Cisco we would effectively create a vpn to the firewall then SSL to a desktop in the office now with the PA we will have a laptop with the PA Global Protect client installed but obviously still use my home internet service - Hope that makes sense ?.

The good news is that all is working fine so now.
I'm familiar with Global Protect. I run that myself. As to your initial question, you should not have an issue if I understand your question. You are hosting a VPN on your home router to access your NVR remotely. Your work VPN moving from CIsco to PA GP should have zero effect on that access.