Incoming stopped working

No No

n3wb
Reaction score
I set up my port forwarding (let's not get into the whole port forward security thing for now) and everything was working perfectly fine for a week. I log in to see my camera and now all of a sudden it's timing out. My ip address didnt change and I haven't touched the server. Now I can't log in externally and the canyouseeme.org doesn't see me. Literally nothing was touched and this stopped working. I even turned off my firewall...even though it was on and things were working... and nothing happened. Has anyone seen this? What could have happened?

Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I set up my port forwarding (let's not get into the whole port forward security thing for now) and everything was working perfectly fine for a week. I log in to see my camera and now all of a sudden it's timing out. My ip address didnt change and I haven't touched the server. Now I can't log in externally and the canyouseeme.org doesn't see me. Literally nothing was touched and this stopped working. I even turned off my firewall...even though it was on and things were working... and nothing happened. Has anyone seen this? What could have happened?

Thanks.
Hi @No No

Is the camera working on the LAN it is installed on?

No No

n3wb
Reaction score
You login with what?
I don't quite understand your question.

Hi @No No

Is the camera working on the LAN it is installed on?
Yes everything is working on the LAN, I just can't get in from the WAN. It's like the port all of a suddudden isnt open anymore, or the ip address changed, which it didnt. I tried changing the port to see if that resolved it, but it didnt.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a firewall running on the BI computer? It's possible that the port is being blocked on that firewall even though you opened it on the router. (Perhaps it was opened only temporarily which is why it worked for a while, but not now).

No No

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a bare bones new computer. Nothing is on it (firewalls, other apps, etc) except BlueIris. I decided to just jump into the OpenVPN and see if that solves my problem....to my surprise, I can't even get on it on the LAN anymore either. Now what do I do? I can access everything else on my LAN except the BI computer (I'm doing this testing locally now not through the OpenVPN). I turned off the windows firewall, defender, and everything else of the sort, and I have the computer on a static IP on my LAN. There are no conflicts on my router with this static IP.

No No

n3wb
Reaction score
Incoming off the port forwarding still isn't working, I tried a ton of things, don't understand how it could all of a sudden stop working with no interference. I did however get access through LAN and OpenVPN working. I didn't know the port number had to be put in the address when on the LAN...that doesn't really make sense to me and I don't remember doing that on my initial tests. What I really really don't like about this OpenVPN app on the phone side, is I lose access to the internet when I have it activated. Is that how it is, or is there something extra I have to do where the OpenVPN only comes into play when I access my home server?....I don't even mind that much if all my traffic from the phone goes through it, although I'd prefer no. I just don't want to have to activate it every time I'm going to look at the cameras.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
IIRC there is a setting on the router OpenVPN setup that says something like “all traffic” or just LAN... something to that effect

No No

n3wb
Reaction score
IIRC there is a setting on the router OpenVPN setup that says something like “all traffic” or just LAN... something to that effect
I tried that, it doesn't work. I put it to all, and none of the apps that require internet work...or direct url using chrome. Only thing working when using vpn is getting onto the lan.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm works for me on my Netgear. So if you’re inside the LAN..... try rebooting the router. I recall I similar frustration and bounced the router and then my NVR and all was good.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is a bare bones new computer. Nothing is on it (firewalls, other apps, etc) except BlueIris. I decided to just jump into the OpenVPN and see if that solves my problem....to my surprise, I can't even get on it on the LAN anymore either. Now what do I do? I can access everything else on my LAN except the BI computer (I'm doing this testing locally now not through the OpenVPN). I turned off the windows firewall, defender, and everything else of the sort, and I have the computer on a static IP on my LAN. There are no conflicts on my router with this static IP.
If you are using Win 10 pro, it has it's own builtin security suite and you will need to set a rule to allow incoming connections to the BI computer.
You will also need to exclude all BI related folders from the builtin virus protection.
When you are away from home, running everything from your phone through your VPN and then out to the internet is a good thing. Especially when your on someone else's wifi.
What exact router are you using.

No No

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm works for me on my Netgear. So if you’re inside the LAN..... try rebooting the router. I recall I similar frustration and bounced the router and then my NVR and all was good.
I wont be able to reboot until next week. I will check back in on that.

If you are using Win 10 pro, it has it's own builtin security suite and you will need to set a rule to allow incoming connections to the BI computer.
You will also need to exclude all BI related folders from the builtin virus protection.
When you are away from home, running everything from your phone through your VPN and then out to the internet is a good thing. Especially when your on someone else's wifi.
What exact router are you using.
I'll try what you say when I'm able to in a week, but a few questions.
1/ What does the built in security of win10 have to do with any of my issues? I'm not being prevented from accessing the computer, I'm being prevented from accessing the network...as far as I can see. And again, I've turned off the windows firewall, defender, network security public and private, and something else and none of that resolved the problem...and it was working with all of these things on before (I turned them back on now)...unless there is some other virus protection I'm unaware of in win10. But again, accessing the computer is not the issue, it was accessing the network.
2/ Why is it better running my phone through my home VPN...I can see why when on someone's wifi, but what is the advantage when on the cellular network?

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000

Thanks for the assistance.

No No

n3wb
Reaction score
Router Firmware fixed the openvpn issue. All traffic going through now.