Increasing POE voltage

Burner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello!
What's the best way to go from POE to POE+ on and existing drop. Can I add an injector between the camera and switch? I want to power a PTZ camera that requires more than my switch is currently produces.
Thanks!!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello!
What's the best way to go from POE to POE+ on and existing drop. Can I add an injector between the camera and switch? I want to power a PTZ camera that requires more than my switch is currently produces.
Thanks!!
If the device is PoE+ than you need either a PoE+ midspan/injector or PoE+ switch. What is the device?

Burner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Biggen
I've not yet picked out what I want, I'm just trying to figure out what I'll need to add the PTZ. I'm pretty sure I'll need more watts than the 15 or so my current switch is putting out. I'm planning on replacing an existing camera with the PTZ which means my current switch is not going to cut it.... I do have several other switches which put out 15 / 30 watts which I can probably use.
Thanks!!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Biggen
I've not yet picked out what I want, I'm just trying to figure out what I'll need to add the PTZ. I'm pretty sure I'll need more watts than the 15 or so my current switch is putting out. I'm planning on replacing an existing camera with the PTZ which means my current switch is not going to cut it.... I do have several other switches which put out 15 / 30 watts which I can probably use.
Thanks!!
There are quite a few PTZ that take standard 802.3af. Of course, some of the larger PTZ will need 802.3at. Just need to pick your device first and then deal with the power issue. Adding a high power midspan is simple.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Biggen
Thanks!!
Depends on which PTZ you end up with.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
if it's just the one cam that needs PoE+ (up to 30w) vs regualr PoE (up to 15w) from teh NVR or current swcith, then just get a single PoE+ injector for use at the switch/NVR end for that one camera.

but if your;e thinking of having multiple cams needing mor ethan 15w each in teh fture, then spring for a switch that support PoE+ on at least few ports...