Indoor cam option suggestion

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I put one of the IPC-HDW5231R-Z I bought in the basement to keep an eye on the lower entry doors from the inside.
The wife has not been too happy about that because of the size.

I would like to have something a little more discreet for my front entry indoor, ( looking at both the front entry and down the adjacent hallway looking toward the entrance from the garage).

Any recommendations between the two below or another option
I'm looking at these two below based on their size:

IPC-HDBW4231F-AS - (Mini Wedge)
4.17”×1.98” (smallest Dahua option I think)
Min illumination 0.009
Aperture F2.0

or

IPC-HDBW5231R-Z (Dome)
4.8”×3.5”
Min illumination 0.006
Aperture F1.4
Varifocal so I don't have guess which FOV option is best

I noticed although the 5231 has a larger aperture the stated min illumination is more?
Why would that be, other things being equal, (which it seems like they are from the other specs.)
Both have IR which I want.

Since each entry location is basically 90 deg direction from each other, if I went with the 4231, would I need the 2.8mm option, (it comes in 2.8, 3.6 and 6)?

Both say "IVS optional"...How do I know for sure if these models have it?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking further at specs and dang if the mini has no Alarm in/out.
I have never used an Alarm in/out but was interested in trying to figure out how to set it up to something like a magnetic contact switch I could add on the front & back door so I could maybe have it only trigger and alert \ email if the doors opens.
That way I could avoid using motion detection and everything else walking through the house all day.

The goal would be to let it record 24/7 but only tell me if someone opens either door at night or when not at home thus avoiding all false alerts.
I assume that is a typical use for Alarm in/out?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Turrets dont have Alarm IO either; you typically need a big bullet/dome for those.. Mini anything wont have em.

yes thats the typical uses for alarm IO; but indoors IVS and even MD can work very well for that task.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Found this one. It is a bigger "mini" but appears to have the same specs but with an Alarm in/out.
Would I need more than 1 Alarm in/out if I wanted to comnect 2 door sensors to it for triggering?
IPC-HDBW4231E-AS

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if the turret does not have an acceptable WAF; that surely wont be any better.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry, "WAF"?
Looks like that mini dome has the same specs as the mini wedge but with 1 I/O.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ahhhhhha-ha. Yes, most important factor in buying a cam it would appear.

IPC-HDBW4231F-AS Mini wedge = 4.17”×1.98”
IPC-HDBW4231E-AS Mini Dome = 4.33”×3.19”

"Not much bigger" is all relative. That doesn't look like a huge difference IMO....Say that about your wife's hips though it's a big deal.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And the Varifocal Turret your wife dont like is: 4.8”×4.13”
The fixed lens turret is: 4.17”×3.69”

The dome is closer in size to the Turret than it is to the wedge and the wedge looks alot less intimidating and discrete than either of em..

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tru
Guess I'll figure something out with the front door and IVS.
Maybe if I do just a small line cross thing at the very top of the door above head height so it does not get triggered be people just walking past between the door and the camera. Garage entrance is down a hallway so prob no way to work around that one as a person in the hall 1/2 way down would block the door view and trigger any IVS setting.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you'll likely use intrusion detection zones for doors, as it will trigger when an object appears.. you cant use linecross on the edge of a frame as it needs a few moments to detect the object.. linecross works well when the camera has a few seconds to detect the object and track it cross the line, not so well when an object just appears in frame because they went through a door.. by the time it recognizes an object it'll already past your line and be heading away.. resulting in a miss.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no, thats not a starlight.. dont think andy's listed that one yet, would be a special order.. start a conversation, someone just sold one in the FS forums IIRC if that didnt go through

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dahua specs on their site show for the IPC-HDBW4221F has a tiny bit larger sensor, (1/2.7 vs 1/2.8) but is says CMOS whereas the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS which is Starlight, (does not actually say "Starlight" but has the logo) says "Exmor CMOS".
So is the Starlight indicator when looking at cameras the "Exmor" description

I have also seen some labeled as "Starlight" where the sensor is listed as "Starvis" CMOS (that new 40x for example that actually says "Starlight technology...nut no logo)".

So spec wise on the Dahua site or where ever, to be clear what is the true indication of a "Starlight" camera when looking for that feature, (besides the little logo thingy)?

What exactly is \ does starlight do btw? Is it a different physical sensor or other chip\hardware component that makes it a Starlight?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Starlight is anything with Low Lux capabilities; they use various sensors but all the Eco Starlights are IMX291 1/2.8" Sony Exmor-R Starvis sensors.. seems like anything better than 0.009 Lux Color can be branded starlight.. some of the Ultra Starlights are using larger 1/1.9" Exmor sensors that are not Starvis.

I've compiled a list of cameras available w/these capabilities here: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

motef

n3wb
Reaction score
I got in contact with Andy via Ali message and have placed an order for the Starlight mini wedge. Thanks @nayr

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So just to confirm the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS is a good option for indoor use?

I'm looking for an indoor camera but not really restricted to size so the frisbee/UFO ones could suffice or that flat Hik one (DS-2CD2432F-IW). Using Blue Iris.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its probably the best indoor camera your going to find IMO

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am thinking of putting one or two of the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS cameras up indoors in corner situations as well (3.6mm). I am wondering how people normally are dealing with the Cat6 wire. I plan on placing them close to the ceiling. Running it in the wall or even up into the ceiling attic seems like the only clean way to go, but before planning that out, i thought it a good idea to hear what others have done to balance a clean look (WAF) and PITA effort.