Indoor IP Camera (POE)

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi been running my CCTV PTZ IP CAMERA Bullet 10 for over a year now since buying one after you guys receommended it here. Althougb at first I used all the functions tts pretty static and I dont use the pan/tilt or zoom much. Works perfect, captures all movement down the side of my house running it with security spy on my mac mini.

Anyway I want another indoor camera for my workshop (I know I will need a 4 camera licence from security spy) . This does not need to be nearly as expensive and can be static but I would like night vision and POE. Its an outbuilding but has my wired network/power to it. Need to capture anyone breaking into it etc.

Any recommendations ? Been looking at these ?

Foscam FI9853EP HD PoE Dome IP Camera White H.264 Video Compression IP66 Rated | eBay

or

HD 960P ONVIF IP Network Security Dome Camera P2P PoE 20m IR Night Vision | eBay

Maybe I should go up to a 2MP like this ?

Sony IMX222 Full HD POE 2.3MP 3.6mm Lens,WideAngle IP Camera 1920x1080P - P2P. | eBay

Thanks in advance

Jerry

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks I am in the UK and those seem to start at £200!

What about this one

SONY IMX 2MP 2.8-12mm 1080P ONVIF P2P 30M White Eyeball Dome POE IP Camera CCTV | eBay

Or this knock off import lol

Hikvision DS-2CD3345-I 4MP EXIR Turret Dome PoE Outdoor Network Ip Camera 2.8mm | eBay

Looking againit seems non POE are cheaper. As I have plenty of power sockets in the workshop I guess I could just use a power supply. As it will be mounted on the ceiling in the corner of my 25' * 25" workshop with I need a 2.8mm LENS for a wide View Angle ?

Jerry

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Amcrest is rebranded Dahua, any camera with a ring of led's around the lens is going to be pretty shitty IR.. dont use domes, install turrets

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes my bullet camera has very good IR :)

So that last Hikvision linked is ok ?

Jerry

kantzow

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought 4 FI9853EP, these are total junk, image quality is complete garbage. Firmware was updated to latest with no improvement. I took apart the cameras and had to clean the sensor, the IR glass and the lenses. My cameras had dirt on the INSIDE of the all these parts, a fine misty looking dust. Once cleaned the night vision got a bit better with less glare in the lens but over all picture quality remain very poor. Would not buy again.

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes thanks kantzow, I have realised that these cheaper cameras have their draw backs that one being quite low resolution. They are also much harder to set up and dont always play nicely with my secuirtyspy software. I purchased one of these to try

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017C4YXZO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The difference from the cheaper ones I listed is clear, dead easy to set up, plays nicely with my securityspy software and very good/clear picture. I must admit to being shocked at how big it was though lol

Clearly they are built to last and take a battering from outside weather. I am also going to buy one of these as I want to mount it in the workshop in preference to the above which is clearly built for outide.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hikvision-DS-2CD2432F-IW-Indoor-Network-Camera/dp/B00M6RGSWY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1479848399&sr=1-1&keywords=HIKVISION+2.8mm+DS-2CD2432F-IW

I then want to get something to go at the front door but again I want it to be a little more discreet than the Hikvision turret.

Thanks

Jerry

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Get a turret. Consider the size a feature for possible deterrence. The wide even lighting from the fancy cyclops IR LED is worth it and they really aren't all that big.

kantzow

n3wb
Reaction score
I would also recommend the turret for the door. For my installations, based on the customers needs I either offer a mid-range or low end solution.

The mid-range is composed of Hikvision right through, DS-2CD2342WD-I, DS-2CD2232-I5 and PoE NVR. The low-end is a mix of Synshore and Cantonk depending on the site, with a Hikvision NVR. All cameras I install are at least IP66, this is required, even indoor, since these installations are in the Caribbean (humidity reasons mainly).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would also recommend the turret for the door. For my installations, based on the customers needs I either offer a mid-range or low end solution.

The mid-range is composed of Hikvision right through, DS-2CD2342WD-I, DS-2CD2232-I5 and PoE NVR. The low-end is a mix of Synshore and Cantonk depending on the site, with a Hikvision NVR. All cameras I install are at least IP66, this is required, even indoor, since these installations are in the Caribbean (humidity reasons mainly).
Cantonk is the same garbage as longse....the best value today is this turret from dahua Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

kantzow

n3wb
Reaction score
Agreed, however some clients are not willing to pay $170 + markup for one single camera so I keep a low-end alternative for people with a limited budget. As I said in others posts I have installations based on Synshore and Cantonk which have run for over a year without issues. A 4 camera system can run as low as $500 installed, good value for money for the less fortunate and still better than the mainstream garbage such as Swann, Lorex etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, however some clients are not willing to pay $170 + markup for one single camera so I keep a low-end alternative for people with a limited budget. As I said in others posts I have installations based on Synshore and Cantonk which have run for over a year without issues. A 4 camera system can run as low as $500 installed, good value for money for the less fortunate and still better than the mainstream garbage such as Swann, Lorex etc.
They need to understand that the low end is not an alternative...its crap...and crap tends to fail exactly when you need it. Your 500 install is not better than swann lorex...they are hikvision/dahua rebranded cameras that are reliable.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
What exactly are you installing for sub $500?!?!?! There is NO way you are running a for profit business installing 4 ip cameras with NVR and hard drive as well as all supplies and your time for sub $500. If you are, you are installing junk and the customer would be better off going to a big box retail store and buying a kit. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to attack you but this isn't possible and if it is you are either working for damn near free or you're taking advantage of your customers...

So, what does a $500 install get me exactly - hardware models/details please!

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
What exactly are you installing for sub $500?!?!?! There is NO way you are running a for profit business installing 4 ip cameras with NVR and hard drive as well as all supplies and your time for sub $500. If you are, you are installing junk and the customer would be better off going to a big box retail store and buying a kit. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to attack you but this isn't possible and if it is you are either working for damn near free or you're taking advantage of your customers...

So, what does a $500 install get me exactly - hardware models/details please!
I'll even break down WHY my statement holds water!

4 Private Label HIKvision Security 2MP domes - Bought by the pallet so transfer price is $55ish per cam - so that's $200 in cameras
1 4 channel POE NVR - $75
1 2TB Purple HD - $75
Cable and connectors materials - $35

That's $405 MATERIAL cost for an entry level 2mp IP system. So that means you would make a profit of $95 if you charge a customer $500.

Not trying to put you on blast, but you must really be installing some serious sub par hardware or have terrible cost of sales/Margins.