Indoor wifi (PTZ, if possible) cams that aren't huge or require app to setup or function? ONVIF a must

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Time for me to toss Foscams C1s and C3s into the garbage. The amount of call home traffic they do is ridonculous.
I am looking for either PTZ or something small. Sub $50 would be nice. ONVIF is a must, so BlueIris can deal with them nicely.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY sells this small PTZ with WiFi.

I have the non-WiFi version and it is a great camera for the size.
The base is about the same size as a standard dome camera and height is about 2.5 inch.

I don't see it in stock, but EmpiretecAndy did have a model labelled "indoor" which is white and does not have night vision IR.

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY sells this small PTZ with WiFi.

I have the non-WiFi version and it is a great camera for the size.
The base is about the same size as a standard dome camera and height is about 2.5 inch.

I don't see it in stock, but EmpiretecAndy did have a model labelled "indoor" which is white and does not have night vision IR.
I have half a dozen of those. Great cam but a bit of an overkill for what I need. The main purpose for them is for me to know who, from people who have keys to the place, came in.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
BlueIris does not require ONVIF to work. Sure, it makes setting up the camera a little easier (and not by much) and you'll have to rely on BI for triggering events without it, but I use several non-ONVIF cameras in my setup and they work great. I certainly would not make ONVIF a requirement when selecting cameras.

Also, there are lots of strategies to prevent your cameras from accessing the internet and "phoning home". You should really be implementing this regardless of the camera brand/manufacturer.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't replace your cameras if you want, but I don't think you should replace them for the reasons you stated.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to what @Flintstone61 and @justabeginner said about the Amcrest IP2M-841, a re-branded Dahua. It is ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p (Full HD), IR, 2-way audio, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless,, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Comes with wall/ceiling mount, 1/4"-20 tripod mount female insert on bottom. Available in black or white for under $45, silver is more.

As far as browsers, it works with Pale Moon (32bit), SeaMonkey, IE, Safari 11, Firefox 49.0 and Chrome (recommend with latest version camera and it requires no extension).

I've installed 4 of the V2 versions, 1 of the latest V3 version and 3 of it's lower-res HD (720p) cousins in the last 4 years and all have functioned with no hiccups.

I currently use 3 of them with Blue Iris; 1 on front porch to look at deliveries, 1 in garage and 1 in sunroom to watch the dogs; two of the 3 is operating on Wi-Fi via a dedicated AP. I have also set one up with Tinycam Pro on a Sony smart TV (Android).

VERY hard to beat for $45, IMO

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BlueIris does not require ONVIF to work. Sure, it makes setting up the camera a little easier (and not by much) and you'll have to rely on BI for triggering events without it, but I use several non-ONVIF cameras in my setup and they work great. I certainly would not make ONVIF a requirement when selecting cameras.

Also, there are lots of strategies to prevent your cameras from accessing the internet and "phoning home". You should really be implementing this regardless of the camera brand/manufacturer.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't replace your cameras if you want, but I don't think you should replace them for the reasons you stated.
I am in "violent agreement" with you.
Re. ONVIF, it is kind of a "filter capability" I use, since cams that have it tend to not be as tied to manufacturer apps
Re. putting cams on private nets and preventing routability outside -that is one of the reasons I want to toss Foscam. About a year ago I lost on some of the ability to do anything but DHCP or change other settings. I was an idiot who did firmware update that took it away.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Anybody ever try the auto tracking feature in the nanny cam model. ASH21-W ?
Anybody ever decide to torture an ip2 841 and use out on a porch?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody ever try the auto tracking feature in the nanny cam model. ASH21-W ?
Anybody ever decide to torture an ip2 841 and use out on a porch?
I've had a IP2M-841 sitting on a plant stand on my front porch looking at package deliveries for 3 years now; winters around 28 to 40 degrees and summers 70 to 95; it's out of the direct rain and sun and has worked flawlessly during that time.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an indoor Dlink 933L, under an Eave in Northern Wisconsin. using Wifi. i plugged the rj-45 port with a cut off premade cat5 cable. It's survived about 10 prolonged power outages, and temps of -25 to 88-90F. Since about 2014. M_cam.pngF1E1A110-534C-4639-9CAB-036C595FC9A1.jpeg

Last edited:

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Question: on the Amcrest IP2M-841 can I turn off IR and still be able to get B&W for the night mode?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
@TonyR
I'm not sure. but Tony can tell you i bet. Mine is at work. can't answer it. I'll look in the Am.
Amazon------>>>>
Q: Can you turn off the IR light when its dark?
A: Yes, you can turn off the IR through the app with the crescent moon button (IR toggle) and through the computer.
By Noel on January 12, 2016 See other answers

Don't see the answer you're looking for? Post your question

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Question: on the Amcrest IP2M-841 can I turn off IR and still be able to get B&W for the night mode?
Not sure what you're asking. If you turn off the IR in a dark room with the cam in that mode, then you're going to get lots of black not much if any white. i.e., You're not going to be able to see a damn thing.

If you have enough light not to need to use the IR, then normally it can stay in color vs B&W.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
Yes, but it needs some light of any kind (IR or visible) to see at any time of the day; I have one looking out a garage window at my flag, the IR is off to prevent bounce-back from the window glass BUT the flag is lit very well at night by 2 flag lights so the cam can see in color.

IR is used at night to provide illumination and at the same time to not make the cam's presence so obvious.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have an indoor Dlink 933L, under an Eave in Northern Wisconsin. using Wifi. ......i plugged the rj-45 port with a cut off premade cat5 cable.
Good idea...I pretty much did the same with a strip of 3M 33+ electrical tape. If you don't do that around here the dirt daubers will plug it up quick with mud, which dries like cement. I have an outlet strip on the front porch that the IP2M-841's wall wart is plugged into and I have those plastic child-proof outlet protectors plugged into the unused ones, you know the kind to keep toddlers from sticking things into a live receptacle? It works, too...the daubers can't plug up the ground pin. Since the 841 is also on Wi-Fi, I'm sure they'd do the same to the 841's open Ethernet port!

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
if you are able to buy amcrest .. do it ! they only exist for good price in usa .. never understood why..

if not.. i bought a imou ranger 2mp last week for 25 european rubels.. the picture is incredible for the price... and there is no overexposure bug in IR mode...

there is a strange software bug, but when you know you can get rid of it.

it also can use ptz presents... only minus... you cant use auto tracking function without their imou app (which requires account and cloud access)

i will never ever do it ! so i cannot say if it works good..

comparing to reolink e1 which i borrow from.a friend.. its 100% better... all these shitty cameras tend to overexposure with ir light... so you see nothing in night

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
+1^^.

Yes, but it needs some light of any kind (IR or visible) to see at any time of the day; I have one looking out a garage window at my flag, the IR is off to prevent bounce-back from the window glass BUT the flag is lit very well at night by 2 flag lights so the cam can see in color.

IR is used at night to provide illumination and at the same time to not make the cam's presence so obvious.
The ones I need IR lights off on are going to face the street, which has street lights. So lighting is fine. On the current ones I can't turn it off, so I had to put electric tape on it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Facing the light source will result in being unable to identify anyone. The contrast level will be too high at night. Light needs to come from the area where the camera is