Input on what setup to go for. NVR or camera storage

Oddbob74

n3wb
Reaction score
First post.

New to all of this but I have been reading on this forum the last few days, LOTS of good info.

The in-law wants to set up 3-4 cameras at his storage facility (2nd property) that is about 70-80 meters away from the main house. He wants the footage to be displayed live on his living room TV, recording of some form (7 days of motion would be enough), and the ability to view on iOS devices when he is out working.

My idea was to run a cat6 cable from his BT Homehub to a wireless router in the 2nd property, wire the cameras with an POE switch or mains(lots of power points to choose from). This way he also has wireless internet available both places.
Install a NVR at the main house and attach it to the TV.
Do i have the right idea or is there an easier/different/cheaper way of doing it?

Don’t want him to have a dedicated PC running as that would mean i would be running as a tech support forever!
So for him I assume the software coming with for example the Hikvison cameras is good enough for him watching on the iPad/iPhone when he is outside of the network.

Will it be too much strain on the network having say for example 3 x 3mp cameras running on the same network as the household?
And will it work fine with the NVR sitting at the main house?
I guess there is no need to have 1080p resolution, but as high as possible.

Another option is to just have the recordings going to camera SD card, skip the NVR and the capability to view on TV. Have not read much into that at this point.

Bob

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can either run direct burial cat cable or setup ubiquiti loco m5 nanostations. If it where me I would go the nanostation route. Plug your cams into poe switch and be done.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Run nvr or computer with Blue Iris software. If your in-laws aren't tech say then I opt to go with nvr.