Install ideas for a dome in soffit?

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wondering if any one has ideas on how to install a dome cam under the eave in the soffit.

There is no 2x4 going across.

What i have been doing is cuting a 2x4 the width of the soffit and mounting it to that.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If your soffet is vinyl and has a channel on the house and facia sides, just cut a piece of 2x1/8" aluminum long enough to tuck into those channels and mount the camera to that. I've got turrets and bullets mounted that way and it works fine, with no holes needed if you're "creative" about wire routing. A dab of silicon seal on each end will keep the aluminum bar from moving and still make it removable, should the need arise.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your soffet is vinyl and has a channel on the house and facia sides, just cut a piece of 2x1/8" aluminum long enough to tuck into those channels and mount the camera to that. I've got turrets and bullets mounted that way and it works fine, with no holes needed if you're "creative" about wire routing. A dab of silicon seal on each end will keep the aluminum bar from moving and still make it removable, should the need arise.
interesting idea do you have a picture of that?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

Use the search tool in the blue bar at the top of the page (the magnifying glass).

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So my experience with soffit under eaves, I just use my cordless drill and put the included screws in and it holds just fine. Got my 5442 hanging there perfectly secure with the included 4 screws. They tap into the soffit and stay snug. Not sure if it's vinyl or aluminum (I think vinyl) but it's fairly thick stuff.

NOAMattD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if the soffit is aluminum you can screw directly into it and it will hold. if you're worried about someone jumping up to grab it pull it down, rather than use a two-by-four, you can use a piece of aluminum bar stock from home Depot or Lowe's and slide it under the channels that hold the soffit in place. it's easy to paint it to match and it's a cleaner look. there's a section about doing it in the cliff notes.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I put my cameras in the corners of my vinyl soffits where there is a hard plastic diagonal "rib". I just screwed the cameras directly into those "ribs". Its thick and holds the camera just fine. You can see the diagonal rib in this picture.

muscatine-soffit-fascia-example.jpg

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I secured a 1x6 at each location as a backing to my aluminum soffit. It was a bit of work to remove the soffit and put it back but I'm in FL and although unlikely that a hurricane would blow a camera out of the aluminum, I felt it was worth the extra time to have a secure install.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine is very thin and there is no wood in between the soffit, the only wood is at the ends of the garage but that has flood lights mounted at every corner so i had the bright idea of just cutting a 2x4 and put in between and mount a round gang box to that then use a round cover plate drill holes into it to match the IP cams mounts it works but is a pain.

Thanks for the ideas i will try them soon.