Install indoor cam on the outside

leafan

n3wb
Reaction score
New here and to camera installation. I've recently purchased a used Axis Q6042 PTZ Dome Camera. What can I do to prepare this camera for outdoor installation under the house eave on the second floor ? Any upgrades I can make to its housing etc? Perhaps a sun shield for the dome? I've included a pdf of the installation guide. I hope that's enough information, Thank you!

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just noticed the guide does not mention Coax Seal tape, this is a must in my opinion. Several Members here recommended it to me and it is awesome. It is like a combination of rope putty and tape, sticks incredibly well.

Add this to the water proofing list.

Smaller qtys can be found on Ebay (like 5 foot rolls).

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just noticed the guide does not mention Coax Seal tape, this is a must in my opinion. Several Members here recommended it to me and it is awesome. It is like a combination of rope putty and tape, sticks incredibly well.

Add this to the water proofing list.

Smaller qtys can be found on Ebay (like 5 foot rolls).
Hi @Rob2020

Feel free to modify the text for the Wiki Cliff Notes .. if you can not edit it, drop me the edits and I'll update the cliff notes.

Thanks!

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm in Canada and Amazon has Coax Seal Tape for less then 8 bucks for 5 foot roll, definitely ordered!

Glad you found it, at the time I ordered, all the Amazon was 500 foot :wtf: (Like Ten 50's) contractor packs. I bought 5 foot and have probably used about 2 foot on 4 cams.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
in 2014 I installed a piece of shit Dlink dcs-932 indoor camera under an eave in a Northern county in Wisconsin. The spiders own that county. I stuffed an silocone caulk laden rj-45 cable into the ethernet jack and clipped the cable off. and silconed that too. I used heat shrink to get the power wires sealed up. It's been running ever since. its the one looking at the garage.
s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600.jpg
MQA.jpg

Last edited: