Install locations and camera suggestions needed

Reaction score
This is my first install. I highlighted a few proposed locations for cameras. I had a security company consultant suggest the two locations closest to the road be aimed to cross each other to eliminate blind spots. Then one to cover the two garage areas on the left, and also one covering the backyard. I will also need two cameras inside the house, one to cover a hallway and the other for the family room and entryway.

I'm not sure what the best camera options would be, and I need some recommendations for an NVR or computer with BI. I'm just looking to do this right the first time... I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

819s4WZ.jpg

TZ7olQd.jpg

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Well, depends on the budget. If you got the money I would spend $$$ on high end Hikvision cams that start about $600 a pop and possibly PC for BI. Otherwise, on a small budget Huisun Mini PTZ + Hikvision NVR is my choice.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Lloydchristmas I would look into a Hikvision 2332 cameras with an Hikvision NVR, if you like to play around and use different brand cameras I would get a Windows Computer with an i5 or i7 processor running Blue Iris

I will have to admit the Huisun Mini Bullet PTZ camera does look pretty nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I'd like to keep it under $2k if possible
For outdoor I would look at combination of budget Hikvision cams and Huisun mini PTZ (10x or 3x if you need wide angle), they are all in the same price range, work with Hikvision software/NVR or BI, but Huisun has advantage with excellent night vision and flexible placement due to it's zoom. For indoor, Hikvision 4MP mini dome if you want to keep things discrete.

or
You can get entire package of rebranded Hikvision cams:
http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD,-8-3MP-Cameras-with-115'-Night-Vision.product.100144944.html

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Seems like a good deal, I am assuming these are re branded 2MP Hikvisions? 2MP actually should be better then 3MP or 4MP for night viewing. Let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
They are 3 mp. I'll keep you guys updated, they'll be here by Monday. Installation should be a little interesting, it's a custom home with varying ceiling heights... I'm hiring pro's to run the cat 5.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
They are 3 mp. I'll keep you guys updated, they'll be here by Monday. Installation should be a little interesting, it's a custom home with varying ceiling heights... I'm hiring pro's to run the cat 5.
3MP is not 1080p (2MP) which is what in that link

Reaction score
I was going by the discussion on slickdeals and the video about them on newegg. What resolution do 3mp cams display?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I was going by the discussion on slickdeals and the video about them on newegg. What resolution do 3mp cams display?
2048x1536 vs 1920x1080, but if this is newer crop of 2MP then night IQ will be better then older 3MP

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Checked the specs, so yeah I don't think there was 2MP bullet before, so you are getting better night time with this one:

Min. illumination0.01 lux @F1.2, AGCON,0 lux with IR0.028 lux @F2.0, AGCON, 0lux with IR

vs older 3MP

0.07Lux @ (F1.2, AGC ON), 0 Lux with IR

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd suggest a cam (outside) covering the front door, for sure.
and possibly some coverage around the NE corner and E side.
boring views, most likely, but might be an entry point for a 'bad guy'...

Reaction score
Had a contractor give an install estimate. Running 600+ feet of cat5e, all necessary install parts and labor for ~$600. Seems very reasonable. Had a few other guys quote lower, but didn't actually come out to look at the house. He's been doing installs for 20 years, so it seems like a good choice.

Reaction score
Quick question... I got a 4 tb WD Purple drive but found a good deal too on a 3 tb WD purple also. Is 4 tb plenty? Or would 7 total be way better?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
With my NVR and 8 cams recording full time I get 6 days out of 2GB hard drive, using mostly 6-8k bit rate

Reaction score
Another question. The package came with six 100 foot rolls of Cat5e. This cable will be run outside across my flat roof portion. I also don't know if it's the bad type of cable (CCA?). Can you guys tell from the pic? And is it good enough to be run outside?

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
try to take a picture of the end, if you look in the ends where you can see the metal in the cable, if it silver it is alum. and if it copper it is copper (good cable), I am willing to bet that is it alum. I have used alum. in my house because I bought a box of cat5e online without thinking and it is working just fine.