Install pipe under concrete driveway for less than 6 bucks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Install pipe under concrete driveway for less than 6 bucks!

( update: do see the thread for possible warnings and concerns about washing out too much soil )

key pictures:

1685033684357.png

1685033709612.png

1685033645803.png
1685033806755.png

video:

Last edited:

ctm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Without some sort of backfill you would be creating a nice cavity under the concrete that will lead to cracks or sinkholes. Probably not an issue on sidewalks, but I expect you will be shortening your driveway life if you run the pipe in an area you often drive over, or where you actually park the car.
Also, if you live in a wet environment you are providing water with an easier path to cross the driveway (increasing the void).
But I guess if this is a "short term" situation (replacing the driveway or moving in the next 5 years it won't be your problem).
If I went with that method I would at least want to make a dam on both sides and flow water with sand/soil/something to try to partially refill the gap. If the refill is low pressure the sediment will partially fall out of suspension (in the void) as the water overflows the dam.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Without some sort of backfill you would be creating a nice cavity under the concrete that will lead to cracks or sinkholes. Probably not an issue on sidewalks, but I expect you will be shortening your driveway life if you run the pipe in an area you often drive over, or where you actually park the car.
Also, if you live in a wet environment you are providing water with an easier path to cross the driveway (increasing the void).
But I guess if this is a "short term" situation (replacing the driveway or moving in the next 5 years it won't be your problem).
If I went with that method I would at least want to make a dam on both sides and flow water with sand/soil/something to try to partially refill the gap. If the refill is low pressure the sediment will partially fall out of suspension (in the void) as the water overflows the dam.

Perhaps jack hammering under with this ..

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A concrete driveway almost always terminates at a structure. Navigating through the structure almost always provides an easier route than pushing a driveway -- depending on what's being routed, of course.

The correct way to do a driveway job is a bore one way by whatever means and pulling conduit back through to fill the void and protect what's being routed as in the Mole video. A small directional boring machine could be unloaded and do the entire job before the hole could even be dug for the Mole.

Last edited:

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I had a quarter for every 8' ground rod I drove under sidewalks to pull RG6 TV cable I would have retired at 30. LOL We also used thinwall with the end mashed down if the soil was loose enough. Just cut the end off and leave it in place to push a drop through. Usually cake.

The jetting idea is actually pretty cool under the right conditions -- just real messy and no guarantees..., if you have a water source with decent pressure. Then again, you can't ignore the points already mentioned about the possible longer term issues -- especially if your concrete is poured on a lousy base to begin with (as appeared to be the case in the video). And that method isn't going to fly under a driveway with a good base of 4s and 57s unless you go a helluva lot deeper than just under the concrete!

Asphalt is a whole other conversation. LOL

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's fine, just squirt some of this stuff in there:
1685045624206.png
And, call it a day...

Kidding aside, it's probably a better solution to drill holes along the path before putting the conduit in. Install the conduit. Then inject some type of expanding foam (and some do suggest the above product for an application like this). Then fill the holes with a concrete filler. Though, driving a car over something like this is a different story than a sidewalk as described above.

Additionally an expanding foam type product will fill the void and prevent washout.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have used this tool and method to install a PVC pipe under my backyard concrete patio. Not that much soil was washed out.