Install question

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know how you guys love these installation questions. I'm pretty well versed in installing ip cameras/analog cameras but I've ran into a problem. Ive installed an IP camera at one of my people's shops and I would like to move it lower to get a good face shot. Problem is I cant find a good spot to put it because of the building. I thought of trying to put a single gang box with a hikvision mini dome camera onto the door frame but I think it would look pretty bad and also would be too wide.

Here is a photo of what I am working with, the wire is coming out of the top of the door and I can go behind the brown piece of fabric that is on the right of the door I'd imagine pretty easily. Other idea is maybe cut a small hole in the fabric and put it behind the fabric, it is a removable piece.

Attachments

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is one of those times where you have to just deal with functionality over looks. Everytime I walk into Walmart, there is a dome camera mounted at 5'. People will just have to deal with it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is one of those times where you have to just deal with functionality over looks. Everytime I walk into Walmart, there is a dome camera mounted at 5'. People will just have to deal with it.
Side note, the three surveillance tapes i have seen from three separate Walmarts, are horrible. They are still on D1 or less. Sad. Some if it use completely useless.
Target is no better.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Loss prevention for big name stores is just a insurance requirement.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They make billions a year, but when they weigh the cost to upgrade each store it becomes useless.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Loss prevention for big name stores is just a insurance requirement.
They actually use it for prosecuting crimes. Its not for show, however, loss prevention is stuck using 15 year old cameras/systems.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I may spend more time than its worth moving it or putting a different camera in. Disn't know what a new perspective may bring me.

Most store's surveillance setups are junk. At least they are around here. Now Dillard's has real nice ptz analog cameras that are great

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
The local fairly new Walmart here uses Axis cameras. I bet the stores just use whatever's decent when they're built and then keep the same system as long as they can. They also got a PTZ outside and several box cameras in housings mounted on the roof that appear to be pointed high and long to catch where vehicles go after they're on the road.

As to the OP, looks like an obvious in-their-face install is called for unless you want to get fancy and put a more covert cam in, say, a junction box or custom mount with a hole for the lens to stick out. Nothing wrong with being obvious in a store environment though. A mediocre obvious "covert" cam would be worse IMHO. Everybody going into a store pretty much knows they're being recorded but having a camera two feet from their face when going in will remind those that might forget.