Install turret camera vertically?

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

First timer with installing turret cameras. I have several years experience with bullet cameras. Curious to know if there are any issues with installing turret cameras vertically? I am a little concerned about water potentially getting behind the camera body when it rains.

I am looking closely at purchasing amcrest IP5M-T1179EW28m turret Poe camera to replace my older GW security 5MP bullet cameras which are currently giving me issues.

Thank you in advance for any help or insight into this concern.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The "ball" of a turret camera is a sealed unit and the only thing that needs to be weatherproof. It can be mounted in any orientation needed without worry in terms of water ingress. Bugs, wasps, have been known to make themselves at home by getting in through the gap that may be left between the ball and the housing. A little Duct Seal takes care of that problem neatly and easily.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Even with a PFA-130 that little gap happens and bugs will get behind the ball, especially this time of year since the camera is warm and it's getting cooler at night.

Great stuff! Never hardens and can be easily removed for maintenance purposes then immediately reused. Stays pliable in the cold, too.

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ordered it along with the cameras and all the other junk I had to order. I just moved and we get a ton of bugs around the lights here during the summer. Much more than where I moved from. Tons of dirt divers and European hornets around here as well.

Thanks again for the tips!!

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not a problem. Just make sure you properly waterproof the connections.
I keep thinking about this comment. Is there something more that I should be doing to the connections, other than using the weather proofing items that come with the cameras for the connections?

thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Standard practice is to use a drip loop if the connection is not enclosed in a waterproof/resistant enclosure.

Next is to use a dab of dielectric grease on the pins of the RJ45 connector then plug into the camera. Next wrap conformal, self amalgamating, tape like coax seal (also known as rubberized tape) around the assembled cable glans and extend it onto the cable on both ends. Then wrap that with a quality electrical tape, like 3M 33+, and extend that past the conformal tape.

The objective being to keep any possible water or air from getting into the connector. Even the minor moisture generated by temperature/humidity changes will accumulate over time and wreak havoc on the RJ45 over time.

Connection Sealing

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you know, I feel like a total bonehead because I know the applications for dilectric grease, but I didn’t think of it at all for the rj45.

time to dig around the garage. I have waterproof tape from another project. Not sure if it’s the same thing that was mentioned. I’ll post a pic.

thanks again!! I really should have joined back in 2018 for the install I did on my old place.

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have bug issues, turn off the IR in the cameras, and install a separate IR illuminator a couple of feet away from the cam.

WaterProofing Connections
Thanks for the tip. I was looking at the univivi 12 last night. My property is 25 acres, and no street lamps for several miles. The night gets incredibly dark. I thought it might be wise to grab a couple of the univivi 12 just for added illumination. My yard is very large. I wasn’t sure if it would keep the bugs away or not because they form large swarms. European hornets even join in smashing themselves up against the house around the light all night long.

I will definitely grab a couple now for sure.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I was looking at the univivi 12 last night. My property is 25 acres, and no street lamps for several miles. The night gets incredibly dark. I thought it might be wise to grab a couple of the univivi 12 just for added illumination. My yard is very large. I wasn’t sure if it would keep the bugs away or not because they form large swarms. European hornets even join in smashing themselves up against the house around the light all night long.

I will definitely grab a couple now for sure.
Always test proposed mounting locations prior to permanent install. Use a 5gal bucket, 8ft 2x4, rocks for ballast. This goes for cameras as well.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using this one to light up the back yard, say about 250x250, and it would go beyond that if there wasn't a stockade fence at the ear of the yard.

Blaster

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using this one to light up the back yard, say about 250x250, and it would go beyond that if there wasn't a stockade fence at the ear of the yard.

Blaster
That one looks to be the absolute winner for my needs. I didn’t see those last night.

I had a break in while I was at the store on Thursday. So I’m getting BI5 setup on a new windows install and using some old Samsung S9+ phones for my security cameras for the mean time until the new cameras come (takes Amazon 8-10 days to ship out here even with prime). I don’t think it will happen again. But better safe than sorry.

Thanks again everyone for the help and super useful tips!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
One more tip for you -

Surveillance cameras are for surveillance, not security, You need a decent alarm system for security and, depending on the conditions around the house, you may be able to extend that to outside with careful equipment selection and placement.

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One more tip for you -

Surveillance cameras are for surveillance, nit security, You need a decent alarm system for security and, depending on the conditions around the house, you may be able to extend that to outside with careful equipment selection and placement.
I totally agree with you.

I won’t make excuses for the lack of security. In fact if I showed you what I’ve allowed to exist in terms of lack of security I’m sure someone would tell me I’m a total idiot. And (probably) am. Granted, I’m in the Allegheny mountains and the closest gas station is 20 miles away… one would think you’d have no issues. Nope! Although the break in I don’t believe was random, like it might be in a higher population area.

In my life, cameras are at least a bit security, for me, personally. I’m almost always home, because I make my money on the internet though various means. I own a few licenses to invision power board (which is what this forum website is built on.) I have been running forum websites since 2011. And many others. It takes little effort for me to sit by the “security monitor” in waking hours to monitor what happens around my house. That’s most of the day and night, for me.

I digress, a security solution is absolutely what I am missing. I did not think I would require one when I moved to “the middle of nowhere.”

As always- I certainly thank everyone for the helpful and thoughtful tips.

Is there a tutorial here on how to use android phones as IP cameras? If not, I’ll gladly write one!

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Can't help you with that one. A phone as a surveillance camera means WiFi which, in the surveillance word, is a no-no. Channel saturation and the fact that they can be easily hacked or blocked makes them questionable at best.

chunk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can't help you with that one. A phone as a surveillance camera means WiFi which, in the surveillance word, is a no-no. Channel saturation and the fact that they can be easily hacked or blocked makes them questionable at best.
Very true. My situation is only temporary with the phones. I realize even MAC address filtering may not be enough. And hopefully 99% of population can have cameras delivered in 2-3 days, unlike my situation of 8-10 days.

I guess I’ll just post what I’m doing for kicks and pokes